Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Unpopular Opinion

Started by Pasta Chick, December 21, 2016, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on April 22, 2017, 06:48:44 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 22, 2017, 03:40:53 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on April 22, 2017, 02:36:45 AMAs for an unpopular opinion... I've come to believe that human life isn't intrinsically precious. Particular humans may have value, sometimes great value, to other creatures but in general we homo sapiens are a dime a dozen.

Does anything have intrinsic value? :notsure:
I don't think so. Value is a human subjective term. Doesn't this render the term 'intrinsic value' a logical fallacy?

Yeah, me too. If there were no humans around, would something like gold still be valuable?

I think that other animals might value certain resources too, such as food and water, though as far as I know they don't use those resources as currency.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on April 22, 2017, 08:25:14 AM
To us oxygen is more "valuable" than gold, or any other "precious" stuff. But to iron it is a kind of carcinogen!

It causes oxidative stress, so it's just one of those things you need but may not be good for you in the long run. ;) 

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 22, 2017, 01:40:43 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on April 22, 2017, 02:36:45 AMAs for an unpopular opinion... I've come to believe that human life isn't intrinsically precious. Particular humans may have value, sometimes great value, to other creatures but in general we homo sapiens are a dime a dozen.

I don't think so. Value is a human subjective term. Doesn't this render the term 'intrinsic value' a logical fallacy?

Yeah, me too. If there were no humans around, would something like gold still be valuable?

I think that other animals might value certain resources too, such as food and water, though as far as I know they don't use those resources as currency.
But territorial animals may defend those resources against all competitors, of their own species or others, e.g. other carnivores in a hunting territory. Thus, though not swapped for "services" animals surely have an instinctive "value" system. Look close enough and some symbiotic rekatioships have, ssy, food as a "currency", coral polyps will tolerste algae that help them feed - the algae swap food for a safe place to live. To them the life of a pack member needed to help in the hunt is worth far more than the life of a neighbor. Though there is evidence that some nurtured injured mrmbers of their own pack - thus valued them, even an invalid can babysit.

Purely an evolutionary relationship of course, but when did humans first start trading flint tools for food etc? Takes time to make proper flint tools, can't hunt at the same time. If not evolutionary "currency" goes back a long way before we invented a word for it and used tokens instead of arrowheads to buy lunch.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 22, 2017, 01:51:41 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on April 22, 2017, 08:25:14 AM
To us oxygen is more "valuable" than gold, or any other "precious" stuff. But to iron it is a kind of carcinogen!

It causes oxidative stress, so it's just one of those things you need but may not be good for you in the long run. ;)

OK, OK, you can "overdose" on water as well! ;)

I'll just keep bresthin' and drinkin' at my normal rate. Not bothered at all with gold (unless I get a certain kind of auto-immune disease, when it has medicinal qualities).  :grin:

Oh, it's useful in electronics and other technologies as well.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on April 22, 2017, 02:01:19 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 22, 2017, 01:40:43 PM

But territorial animals may defend those resources against all competitors, of their own species or others, e.g. other carnivores in a hunting territory. Thus, though not swapped for "services" animals surely have an instinctive "value" system. Look close enough and some symbiotic rekatioships have, ssy, food as a "currency", coral polyps will tolerste algae that help them feed - the algae swap food for a safe place to live. To them the life of a pack member needed to help in the hunt is worth far more than the life of a neighbor. Though there is evidence that some nurtured injured mrmbers of their own pack - thus valued them, even an invalid can babysit.

Purely an evolutionary relationship of course, but when did humans first start trading flint tools for food etc? Takes time to make proper flint tools, can't hunt at the same time. If not evolutionary "currency" goes back a long way before we invented a word for it and used tokens instead of arrowheads to buy lunch.

:grin: Ok, I've revised my position, animals in interspecific mutualistic relationships do have a kind of currency which might involve resource for service or service for service (Mutualism).

Dave

I am getting this again techy peoples!

Dave

Nope, tried that rejected post anew with same result.

Is there a limit to the number of nested quotes allowed? IIRC it happens with multiple quotes.

Speaking of techy peoples, anyone heard from Our Lord and Master, The Asmo, at all?

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on April 22, 2017, 03:01:31 PM

Is there a limit to the number of nested quotes allowed? IIRC it happens with multiple quotes.

Speaking of techy peoples, anyone heard from Our Lord and Master, The Asmo, at all?

I had that for the first time ever about a month back. Only time it has ever happened to me. Hasn't happened since. I have no idea why it does it. How often has it happened to you?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on April 22, 2017, 03:19:29 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on April 22, 2017, 03:01:31 PM

I had that for the first time ever about a month back. Only time it has ever happened to me. Hasn't happened since. I have no idea why it does it. How often has it happened to you?

This is the third time, it only ever happens with multiple nested quotes so far.

I also often get "Site not found" type messages as well, but a second attempt to post always works - so far.

Dragonia

Quote from: Gloucester on April 21, 2017, 06:15:07 PM
Dragonia, I wonder how many of these very English jokes will pass you by!  :devil2:

Any other non-Brits understand the puns?

Sone American humour is just as impenetrable to non-Americans.
That video was kind of funny to me, I smiled through the whole thing, although there were a couple places that I knew I missed the joke. If that was improv, it was even funnier.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Dave

Quote from: Dragonia on April 23, 2017, 04:32:54 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on April 21, 2017, 06:15:07 PM
Dragonia, I wonder how many of these very English jokes will pass you by!  :devil2:

Any other non-Brits understand the puns?

Sone American humour is just as impenetrable to non-Americans.
That video was kind of funny to me, I smiled through the whole thing, although there were a couple places that I knew I missed the joke. If that was improv, it was even funnier.

"I'm sorry I haven't a clue" (aka "Clue") is supposed to be pure improv but, though its members are nasters of the genre, some things seem too polished, too fluid. However, for me, it is always good, worth checking out on Youtube if you like punnish humour.

The old compere, the late Humphrey Littleton, was a master of timing (being an ex-bandleader he would need to be.) The new one, Jack Dee, is pretty good (now I have got used to him.) It has been broadcast for 45 years now, and is still as fresh.

Icarus

I am flummoxed by some of the Brit humor. I used to watch Benny Hinn and got most of the jokes. There was a Brit series of TV shows about a department store and its manager mister Rumpole. There was a gay sales person and some others who were hilarious. I do not remember the name of the series. It was oddly entertaining.

Velma

Quote from: Icarus on April 24, 2017, 01:34:40 AM
I am flummoxed by some of the Brit humor. I used to watch Benny Hinn and got most of the jokes. There was a Brit series of TV shows about a department store and its manager mister Rumpole. There was a gay sales person and some others who were hilarious. I do not remember the name of the series. It was oddly entertaining.
"Are You Being Served?"
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

hermes2015

Quote from: Velma on April 24, 2017, 02:27:56 AM
"Are You Being Served?"
That's right. I used to watch it when I was young and knew everything.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Velma

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 24, 2017, 05:24:16 AM
Quote from: Velma on April 24, 2017, 02:27:56 AM
"Are You Being Served?"
That's right. I used to watch it when I was young and knew everything.
That show and "Dr. Who" were my first exposure to British television. I was hooked.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan