News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Unpopular Opinion

Started by Pasta Chick, December 21, 2016, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Dragonia on April 09, 2017, 02:21:21 PM
No, I think I am missing a large chunk of culture exposure by never having watched much "English humor" type shows. Honestly, I'm not even sure I know if that's the right thing to call them. No Fawlty Towers, no Vicious.... nothing. Does Mr Bean fall under this category? Because I've seen clips of his stuff, and it didn't leave me wanting more either.

Bean is more like slapstick, I will admit he does not do much for me - though Rowan Atkinson is a very good comedian, "Black Adder" was great! My inclination is towards punnish humour, word play or that which mocks the classics or historical. Python is, basically, a bunch of overgrown undergrads taking the piss.

Most of the others come from a similar background, hence the frequent literary, and even science, refs.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

The "Yesterday" channel in the UK is going to do a series of shows on "The History of Blackadder," showing Blackadder episodes and having Tony Robinson with guests talking about the various eras that were settings for the series. I'm hoping it will be worth watching.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Mr. Bean sticking his head in the turkey and MP's Biggus Dickus scene never fail to make me chuckle.

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on April 09, 2017, 05:18:40 PM
Mr. Bean sticking his head in the turkey and MP's Biggus Dickus scene never fail to make me chuckle.

The only Bean scene I remember is his method of painting a room . . .

Dave

Dragonia, I wonder how many of these very English jokes will pass you by!  :devil2:

Any other non-Brits understand the puns?

Sone American humour is just as impenetrable to non-Americans.

Pasta Chick

I just watched a documentary that is ridiculously popular amongst one of my groups and I fucking hated it so much I typed out a lengthy public rant on Facebook.

I'm just waiting for someone to come shitstorming in.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Pasta Chick on April 21, 2017, 07:35:23 PM
I just watched a documentary that is ridiculously popular amongst one of my groups and I fucking hated it so much I typed out a lengthy public rant on Facebook.

What was the documentary about?
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

jumbojak

I think Rowan Atkinson was at his best on Not the nine o'clock news. Absolutely hilarious sketch comedy.

As for an unpopular opinion... I've come to believe that human life isn't intrinsically precious. Particular humans may have value, sometimes great value, to other creatures but in general we homo sapiens are a dime a dozen.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Father Bruno on April 22, 2017, 01:21:30 AM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on April 21, 2017, 07:35:23 PM

What was the documentary about?

Pet food. It's on Netflix if anyone has any interest. Pet Fooled.

Except it's awful.

I mean, the one solid take away is that the pet food industry is fucked. So there you go. If you forgot that post-2007, you are now up to speed per Pet Fooled.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on April 22, 2017, 02:36:45 AMAs for an unpopular opinion... I've come to believe that human life isn't intrinsically precious. Particular humans may have value, sometimes great value, to other creatures but in general we homo sapiens are a dime a dozen.

Does anything have intrinsic value? :notsure:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 22, 2017, 03:40:53 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on April 22, 2017, 02:36:45 AMAs for an unpopular opinion... I've come to believe that human life isn't intrinsically precious. Particular humans may have value, sometimes great value, to other creatures but in general we homo sapiens are a dime a dozen.

God?

8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Tank

I don't think so. Value is a human subjective term. Doesn't this render the term 'intrinsic value' a logical fallacy?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Semantics........Intrinsic; adj. belonging naturally, inherent, essential....

I reckon that we could claim intrinsic value for a long list of things. Let's start with the essential connotation....... Magdalenas' tacos for starters, my friends including the ones on HAF, music of Brahms or classical guitar music by Sergovia, the Statue of Liberty. The first amendment......anyone care to add some more ?  We got a lot of 'em. 

Dave

Quote from: Tank on April 22, 2017, 06:48:44 AM

I don't think so. Value is a human subjective term. Doesn't this render the term 'intrinsic value' a logical fallacy?
That's about where I stand.

To us oxygen is more "valuable" than gold, or any other "precious" stuff. But to iron it is a kind of carcinogen!

I certainly do not think human life has an intrindic value, but that leads onto supporting the death sentence for absolutely proven cases of predmeditated murder requiring a whole life tarriff. Why support a deliberate killer when the money needed to maintain their life in prison could be used to treat an illness in a citizen who, possibly, spent their life doing good?

Recusant

As it stands, cost/benefit analysis doesn't support the death penalty. It actually is more expensive to carry out a death sentence than it is to imprison the offender for life. This is because of the legal costs that are entailed in the inevitably numerous appeals. ("Absolutely proven" here is irrelevant. Everyone that the legal system deals with must be afforded the same opportunities for appeal.) Lynch law would of course be less expensive, but then society must accept that (more) innocent people will be put to death by the state.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken