Author Topic: Unpopular Opinion  (Read 1073 times)

Gloucester

• Not Defeated by the Dark Night of the Soul
Re: Unpopular Opinion
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2017, 06:38:47 AM »
No, I think I am missing a large chunk of culture exposure by never having watched much "English humor" type shows. Honestly, I'm not even sure I know if that's the right thing to call them. No Fawlty Towers, no Vicious.... nothing. Does Mr Bean fall under this category? Because I've seen clips of his stuff, and it didn't leave me wanting more either.

Bean is more like slapstick, I will admit he does not do much for me - though Rowan Atkinson is a very good comedian, "Black Adder" was great! My inclination is towards punnish humour, word play or that which mocks the classics or historical. Python is, basically, a bunch of overgrown undergrads taking the piss.

Most of the others come from a similar background, hence the frequent literary, and even science, refs.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.

Recusant

• Miscreant Erendrake
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Reason
  • infidel barbarian
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2017, 08:28:08 AM »
The "Yesterday" channel in the UK is going to do a series of shows on "The History of Blackadder," showing Blackadder episodes and having Tony Robinson with guests talking about the various eras that were settings for the series. I'm hoping it will be worth watching.  :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

• No Wall in my name!!!
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2017, 09:18:40 AM »
Mr. Bean sticking his head in the turkey and MP's Biggus Dickus scene never fail to make me chuckle.

Gloucester

« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2017, 09:35:39 AM »
Mr. Bean sticking his head in the turkey and MP's Biggus Dickus scene never fail to make me chuckle.

The only Bean scene I remember is his method of painting a room . . .

Gloucester

« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2017, 10:15:07 AM »
Dragonia, I wonder how many of these very English jokes will pass you by!  :devil2:

Any other non-Brits understand the puns?

Sone American humour is just as impenetrable to non-Americans.

Pasta Chick

• Guardian of Reason
« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2017, 11:35:23 AM »
I just watched a documentary that is ridiculously popular amongst one of my groups and I fucking hated it so much I typed out a lengthy public rant on Facebook.

I'm just waiting for someone to come shitstorming in.

Father Bruno

• Deranged Psychopathic Twinkle Toes
  • Has an Invisible Dragon in Their Garage
  • Save water. Shower together!
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2017, 05:21:30 PM »
I just watched a documentary that is ridiculously popular amongst one of my groups and I fucking hated it so much I typed out a lengthy public rant on Facebook.

What was the documentary about?
"Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Galatians 4:16

jumbojak

• Chandler's Pale Cock Slurper
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
  • Allergic to bullshit
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2017, 06:36:45 PM »
I think Rowan Atkinson was at his best on Not the nine o'clock news. Absolutely hilarious sketch comedy.

As for an unpopular opinion... I've come to believe that human life isn't intrinsically precious. Particular humans may have value, sometimes great value, to other creatures but in general we homo sapiens are a dime a dozen.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub
" Please hold your high school or college math books in higher esteem than
your copy of the KJV. " - Icarus

Pasta Chick

• Guardian of Reason
« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2017, 07:01:47 PM »

What was the documentary about?

Pet food. It's on Netflix if anyone has any interest. Pet Fooled.

Except it's awful.

I mean, the one solid take away is that the pet food industry is fucked. So there you go. If you forgot that post-2007, you are now up to speed per Pet Fooled.

xSilverPhinx

• Non Dvcor
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Reason
  • I Spy With My Googly Eyes...
« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2017, 07:40:53 PM »
As for an unpopular opinion... I've come to believe that human life isn't intrinsically precious. Particular humans may have value, sometimes great value, to other creatures but in general we homo sapiens are a dime a dozen.

Does anything have intrinsic value? :notsure:
I'm just a student of the game that they taught me.

Father Bruno

• Deranged Psychopathic Twinkle Toes
  • Save water. Shower together!
« Reply #100 on: April 21, 2017, 08:51:50 PM »

God?

8)
"Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Galatians 4:16

Tank

• Fed up with stupid.
  • Administrator
  • Excellent and Indefatigable Guardian of Reason
« Reply #101 on: April 21, 2017, 10:48:44 PM »

I don't think so. Value is a human subjective term. Doesn't this render the term 'intrinsic value' a logical fallacy?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
“Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt.” ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Icarus

• The wise one.
« Reply #102 on: April 21, 2017, 11:17:38 PM »

Semantics........Intrinsic; adj. belonging naturally, inherent, essential....

I reckon that we could claim intrinsic value for a long list of things. Let's start with the essential connotation....... Magdalenas' tacos for starters, my friends including the ones on HAF, music of Brahms or classical guitar music by Sergovia, the Statue of Liberty. The first amendment......anyone care to add some more ?  We got a lot of 'em. 

Gloucester

« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2017, 12:25:14 AM »

I don't think so. Value is a human subjective term. Doesn't this render the term 'intrinsic value' a logical fallacy?
That's about where I stand.

To us oxygen is more "valuable" than gold, or any other "precious" stuff. But to iron it is a kind of carcinogen!

I certainly do not think human life has an intrindic value, but that leads onto supporting the death sentence for absolutely proven cases of predmeditated murder requiring a whole life tarriff. Why support a deliberate killer when the money needed to maintain their life in prison could be used to treat an illness in a citizen who, possibly, spent their life doing good?

Recusant

• Miscreant Erendrake
  • Administrator
  • Guardian of Reason
  • infidel barbarian
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2017, 03:45:17 AM »
As it stands, cost/benefit analysis doesn't support the death penalty. It actually is more expensive to carry out a death sentence than it is to imprison the offender for life. This is because of the legal costs that are entailed in the inevitably numerous appeals. ("Absolutely proven" here is irrelevant. Everyone that the legal system deals with must be afforded the same opportunities for appeal.) Lynch law would of course be less expensive, but then society must accept that (more) innocent people will be put to death by the state.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken