News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Unpopular Opinion

Started by Pasta Chick, December 21, 2016, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Pasta Chick on April 04, 2017, 04:29:27 PM
I appreciate that Facebook is not for everyone but trashing it is pretty unfair. I use Facebook to keep in touch with my real friends, some of whom are thousands of miles away and would have little opportunity to chat otherwise.

Point taken. It is obviously a very good tool for your purposes, so I was not really trashing it - just saying that it is not for me.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 04, 2017, 04:56:16 PM
Quote from: Pasta Chick on April 04, 2017, 04:29:27 PM
I appreciate that Facebook is not for everyone but trashing it is pretty unfair. I use Facebook to keep in touch with my real friends, some of whom are thousands of miles away and would have little opportunity to chat otherwise.

Point taken. It is obviously a very good tool for your purposes, so I was not really trashing it - just saying that it is not for me.

Yeah same here, my wife uses it to keep in touch with her family and friends from Honduras, and it's absolutely essential for her. She definitely feels closer to them through Facebook than she used to just with emails, or phone calls.

Sometimes because of our work schedules, and us not seeing each other for a day or two besides a quick hello and goodbye I'll tease her that she's able to keep in better touch with her family on Facebook than she can with me, and I'm in the bed next to her!

I was on it some years ago, but it wasn't for me (Too many damn Kats)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Father Bruno on April 04, 2017, 02:13:17 PM
I've never watched one single episode of the "Walking Dead". :-[

Me neither! *high five*

I mostly keep this fact to myself, though. In some circles TWD is like a religion.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 04, 2017, 11:42:04 PM

Me neither! *high five*

I mostly keep this fact to myself, though. In some circles TWD is like a religion.

HIGH FIVE :thumbsup:

It's almost like sports. The last time we had a family get together around the holidays it's all my sisters and their families friends could talk about. I felt like such an outsider...they might as well have been discussing the PGA as far as I'm concerned.

Here's another unpopular opinion.

Oreo Cookies, me don't like.

I'm editing this so I can add the following article I just came across regarding Oreos.

Oreos Just Released Oreo-Flavored Oreos

Yes, that is correct now they are making Oreo flavored Oreo's, why you ask? Because things are out of control on this planet, and we've all lost our bloody minds. (Thanks Obama)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: Father Bruno on April 05, 2017, 01:18:49 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 04, 2017, 11:42:04 PM

Me neither! *high five*

HIGH FIVE :thumbsup:

It's almost like sports. The last time we had a family get together around the holidays it's all my sisters and their families friends could talk about. I felt like such an outsider...they might as well have been discussing the PGA as far as I'm concerned.

I'm editing this so I can add the following article I just came across regarding Oreos.

Yes, that is correct now they are making Oreo flavored Oreo's, why you ask? Because things are out of control on this planet, and we've all lost our bloody minds. (Thanks Obama)

I would also like to join this club, the...I've never watched one single episode of the "Walking Dead" Club. I've never watched on single episode of Game of Thrones, either, and I still don't have a cell phone. :-[

I also think soccer is the most boring sport in the whole universe.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Pasta Chick

If you're interested in political drama and/or fantasy you'd probably be entertained by GoT. Otherwise don't bother.

I avoid purchasing food that advertises "No GMOs". Although that probably doesn't make me an oddball here.

Dragonia

I love Oreos, but only the cookie part. That nasty white creamed sugar crap in the middle is gross... and Double Stufft Oreos make me want to barf.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Dragonia on April 05, 2017, 06:59:21 PM

I love Oreos, but only the cookie part. That nasty white creamed sugar crap in the middle is gross... and Double Stufft Oreos make me want to barf.

I'd like to expand this to all frosting is disgusting. I've had a few handmade frostings that were appropriately applied, but 99.9% of the time it's just a giant wad of sugar. Often with inappropriate color. There is no flavor in the world that is enhanced by a bright blue mountain of sugar.

Dragonia

^^^I totally agree. I always feel a little bit rude scraping the whipped shortening frosting off my cake, but I just love cake so much and the frosting ruins it. Now.... There's this beautiful buttercream frosting that I make...mm mm mm, that I could eat by the spoonful!

Magdalena

Quote from: Dragonia on April 06, 2017, 01:55:31 AM
... Now.... There's this beautiful buttercream frosting that I make...mm mm mm, that I could eat by the spoonful!
Oh...Please, please, Dragonia, share it with us.  :tellmemore:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

I like Oreo cookies just fine (even the creamy center) but I absolutely cannot stand Nutella.  Way, way too sweet!

Also, American football bores me to tears but I do like soccer tho I'll admit that's probably because I used to play soccer as a kid and I remember not sucking at it the way I did at every other sport.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dragonia

Seems to be a very unpopular opinion: I don't like Monte Python movies. I guess I'm not a fan of what some call "English humor". 
I love humor, and I love to laugh, but Monty Python has never done it for me.

Dave

Quote from: Dragonia on April 08, 2017, 10:10:14 PM
Seems to be a very unpopular opinion: I don't like Monte Python movies. I guess I'm not a fan of what some call "English humor". 
I love humor, and I love to laugh, but Monty Python has never done it for me.

Everyone has their preferences but are there no "English humour" types you like, Dragonia?

Python is a bit extreme - and it is a sort of "intellectual" extremeness, lots of references to "classic" ancient and modern, literature and history. I have to ssy that most of the American "loud and in your face" variety of humour does nowt for me, though I have had friends who love it!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on April 08, 2017, 10:21:32 PM
Everyone has their preferences but are there no "English humour" types you like, Dragonia?

What about Fawlty Towers, Dragonia? Have you seen Vicious? Not all "English humour" appeals to me either; I don't enjoy Benidorm very much.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dragonia

No, I think I am missing a large chunk of culture exposure by never having watched much "English humor" type shows. Honestly, I'm not even sure I know if that's the right thing to call them. No Fawlty Towers, no Vicious.... nothing. Does Mr Bean fall under this category? Because I've seen clips of his stuff, and it didn't leave me wanting more either.