Extremely Wealthy Evangelical Christian Ready to Change Education in The US

Started by Recusant, November 28, 2016, 04:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Last week, Donald Trump chose Betsy DeVos to be his Education Secretary, in charge of the United States Department of Education. Given her history, there is little doubt that she will be working to weaken the separation of church and state in the US, promoting what is essentially a Dominionist plan to funnel public funds into Christian schools. Praise the Lord!

"Betsy DeVos, Trump's Big-Donor Education Secretary" | New Yorker

QuoteDeVos is a religious conservative who has pushed for years to breach the wall between church and state on education, among other issues.* (The Washington Post reports that Betsy DeVos has been an elder at Mars Hill, in Grand Rapids.) Betsy, who served as the chairwoman of the Michigan Republican Party in the late nineties and again in the early aughts, spent more than two million dollars of the family's money on a failed school-vouchers referendum in 2000, which would have allowed Michigan residents to use public funds to pay for tuition at religious schools. The family then spent thirty-five million dollars, in 2006, on Dick DeVos's unsuccessful campaign to unseat Jennifer Granholm, then the Democratic governor of the state. After that campaign, the DeVos family doubled down on political contributions and support for conservative Christian causes. Members of the family, including Betsy and Dick DeVos, have spent heavily in opposition to same-sex-marriage laws in several states.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

I saw this the other day, but I thought it was just a joke. 
~That's not funny. :shifty:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Waski_the_Squirrel

Since I am a teacher in a public school, I've been following this closely. I guess I should be glad that Jerry Falwell turned down an offer for this position.

http://bigstory.ap.org/8bd25b9c668c4d22b3aace76434821f5

Arturo

I know I shouldn't say this but every time I hear about who Trump is putting around him, I also think of getting a shotgun to the face just to avoid the coming onslaught of USA's judgement day.

The end of the USA will not happen by nukes or terrorism, but by it's own people. Slowly.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Asmodean

Quote from: Apathy on November 29, 2016, 05:38:13 AM
The end of the USA will not happen by nukes or terrorism, but by it's own people. Slowly.
As it should be. Empires do tend to fall from within.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Asmodean

Oh, the people will still be there; just organized differently. Rome, it still stands. A part of Italy now, but it's there.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Pasta Chick

I propose we start a petition to have Mrs Betty Bowers appointed something.

Just to see how far it goes.

Dave

Quote from: Apathy on November 29, 2016, 05:38:13 AM

QuoteNot with a bang but a whimper

T S Eliot, "The Hollow Men"
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Harmonie

Trump really just wants to run the country into the ground, I see. So much for the 'moderate' Trump narrative that so many people wanted to construct post-election to tell people like me to calm down. Nope. Trump is going to go all out to make his presidency a nightmare.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Icarus

Harmonie, I do not believe that the intent of Trump is to harm the country but that he is politically, intellectually and emotionally lacking the capacity to fulfill his odd ball pronouncements..