News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

The real Jesus?

Started by Dave, October 17, 2016, 09:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

linguistic analysis of Josephus' Testonium Flavianum indicates that it a total fake

Also it seems that "christians", Greek  "christianoi" - "people of Christ" could be a mistranscription of "chrestianoi" - "good people".

I was always willing to accept that there was a good man, a "chrestian", around whom the myth was constructed.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Asmodean

A "good man" in the age of knowing them goats in the Biblical sense being the unspoken norm..?

...Yeah. Probably.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

There was a thread a while back when some Christians claimed that the discovery of  the word χρηστός on an old pot should be read as Χριστός (Christos), and that it proved the existence of Jesus.  It was as clear as day that it really read χρηστός, which is a fairly vague word for good

I posted my reading here, backed by Maria, but I can't find it now.

BTW Χριστός (christos) means "Anointed one" and is the standard Greek for "Messiah".

Ecurb Noselrub

The Testimonium Flavianum is a fake, but not the James passage. It reads, in part: "Festus was now dead, and Albinus was but upon the road; so he assembled the sanhedrin of judges, and brought before them the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James, and some others; and when he had formed an accusation against them as breakers of the law, he delivered them to be stoned: but as for those who seemed the most equitable of the citizens, and such as were the most uneasy at the breach of the laws, they disliked what was done;"  Antiquities of the Jews Book 20, Chapter 9.   It is still the majority opinion that this is valid.  It is no proof of divinity, obviously, but some evidence of an historical person.   

Dave

Quote from: OldGit on October 17, 2016, 06:33:20 PM
There was a thread a while back when some Christians claimed that the discovery of  the word χρηστός on an old pot should be read as Χριστός (Christos), and that it proved the existence of Jesus.  It was as clear as day that it really read χριστός, which is a fairly vague word for good

I posted my reading here, backed by Maria, but I can't find it now.

BTW Χριστός (chrestos) means "Anointed one" and is the standard Greek for "Messiah".

Hang on, OG, most of the sources, including The Bible Hub, seem to agree with the paper; "chrestos" means "good, kind, pleasant, useful) and "christos" = "annointed obe".

Or did you typo or copy/paste the wrong Greek?

Thus the pot might have been labelled "useful" by someone with poor spelling or a dialect! Oh, you already said that, sort of...

Later: perhaps it was the master potter judging his apprentice's work  :)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

OldGit

Sorry, Glos, I did indeed make a cut'n'paste cockup, muddling Χριστός and χρηστός.  That was a very confusing error, apologies.  I've fixed it now.

NB χρηστός (chrestos) means 'good' and Χριστός is 'messiah / Christ / annointed one'.