News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Do you respect believers?

Started by MatureMcLeod, October 14, 2016, 12:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MatureMcLeod

I was searching the dictionary and I saw the word belief and it said "What someone values as true."
I had to think for a second and realized that not all Christians are using their religion to harm others. I truly felt this way because of my childhood. But even my family has calmed down a bit. There are some Christians that truly believe that Christianity is true. I think the reason they ignore the bad parts is because it hasn't processed in their minds yet. I usually don't quote it because I usually don't even talk about it. Plus some of the older people don't know the resources we have today. What are your opinions?

Pasta Chick

It's not something that I really take into account in forming an opinion of someone, at least not singularly. There are believers who are awesome, and others who are peices of shit. Just like there are non believers who are awesome, and others who are peices of shit. You can take someone like Joel Olesteen, who chooses to represent himself by faith, and I don't respect him but that's because he's a fear-mongering hypocrite, not because he's religious. I think it's different.

No one

Whatever respect they show me, I return to them. Just because I believe there is no god, doesn't mean that I can not respect someone else's right to believe there is.

Dave

More or less the same for me. I respect everyone for what they achieve for the world.

But I will not tolerate prosetylising  or evangelising of any kind.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Asmodean

If one earns my respect, then I respect that believer. I don't generally respect people I've never interacted with. My default is not to care one way or the other.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

Quote from: Asmodean on October 14, 2016, 06:12:04 AM
If one earns my respect, then I respect that believer. I don't generally respect people I've never interacted with. My default is not to care one way or the other.

Same for me.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Davin

I can and have respected believers. Not for their belief, but that is just one part of them. People are not binary and no one is defined by just one thing.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Icarus

A  50 or 60 some thing black man showed up at my garage sale today. He was wearing a Tee shirt (this is Florida) that had religious overtones.  I engaged him in respectful conversation. He was proud to tell me that he had been a junkie until he got religion. God did not want him to be as druggie. It worked for him and I was most congratulatory that he had found his way out of the hellish drug culture, nine years clean..  You bet your booties that I respected that man. Never mind that his fix was a concentrated belief in Jesus,,, perhaps a mythical invention. It worked for him and I damned well respected that he is a first class citizen.

OldGit

There are many who earn my respect, most of them don't talk about it a lot.  The ones who stand in the streets shouting are rarely impressive.

Waski_the_Squirrel

I respect individuals. That respect is based on a lot of things. And, I can't help but think of my formerly Christian self. A lot of my opinions and actions have not changed. I just don't happen to believe in the supernatural any more. Does that mean I was not worthy of respect before?

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 18, 2016, 01:01:58 PM
Depends on the believer.

Ditto.  Pretty much all I ask is that people try not to be assholes, and succeed most of the time (we all screw up now and then).
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Skeptik

If someone shows me respect, I return it.
And vice versa.
The certainty with which I know another man's religion is folly makes me suspect my own is also - Mark Twain

Dear Religion,
Today we safely brought a man back from outer space, while you shot a child in the face for wanting to go to school.
Sincerely,
Science

Dredge

If I send you $10, will you respect me for one week?
Follow the evidence wherever it leads.

Tom62

Quote from: Dredge on March 24, 2017, 07:35:24 AM
If I send you $10, will you respect me for one week?

Make it $1000 and I'll think about it  :)
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein