Author Topic: Do you respect believers?  (Read 957 times)

Gloucester

• Has an Invisible Dragon in Their Garage
Re: Do you respect believers?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 02:01:06 AM »
If I send you $10, will you respect me for one week?
No, respect is earned, not bought.

Give $10 a month to a charity like MSF or Save the Children and you will earn a little respect from me for that act.

Demonstrate a sincere understanding that there are evil and good people in every faction of belief and unbelief and you will earn a lot more.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.

atomgram

• Beginning to See the Wedge
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 09:21:23 AM »
I can respect the person, but I just can't bring myself to respect belief in something for which no evidence exists.  It seems so intellectually lazy and not genuine.  If you told them that you go every Sunday to watch Jimi Hendrix jam in a cave by your house, they would laugh at you.  Why do we have to respect utter nonsense?  I hate that part of this agreement.  Makes me crazy. 

Father Bruno

• Deranged Psychopathic Twinkle Toes
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
  • Save water. Shower together!
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2017, 06:21:51 AM »
I can respect the person, but I just can't bring myself to respect belief in something for which no evidence exists.  It seems so intellectually lazy and not genuine.  If you told them that you go every Sunday to watch Jimi Hendrix jam in a cave by your house, they would laugh at you.  Why do we have to respect utter nonsense?  I hate that part of this agreement.  Makes me crazy.

I always try to be respectful to the person, not always so much to the religion, but I do watch my tongue in certain company...although I have little patience for those who proselytize or want to force their religious views or beliefs on others, for them there is little respect and even less patience.

Recently I was on vacation in Honduras visiting the wife's family, and during part of the trip we stayed with a niece and nephew who also take care of my mother-in law.

The niece is wicked smart, and is actually a professor of mathematics at the university, and I enjoy not only her companionship, but also her cooking...she's also a damn good soccer and volleyball player.

She's also an evangelical, but very subdued and not at all preachy...when we would eat together she would usually be the last one to sit down and start eating while we were in her home because she was serving us, and often times there were other family members present so it would be a full table.

She would always bow her head and say a silent prayer to herself before eating, but everyone else at the table would go on talking, laughing and eating even though they are all catholic or fellow evangelical types, but I would always put my silverware down and stop eating while she did so out of respect.

One of the last meals we had together I did the same, and as she finished eating she reached over and slightly grasped my hand in what I took to be a show of thanks...she knows more or less that I'm a non-believer. I felt very close to her at that moment. Again my respect for her is boundless.

Funny part is on Easter Sunday everyone else in the family was at the local cathedral for the Easter mass and celebrations. Outdoor type of festival (I'll be posting some pictures soon as it's quite festive), started at 8am and ended around 12:30-1pm.

I went along with everyone that morning, but while they sat with my mother in-law up in front taking in the mass, I walked around and took in the sights, stopping at a couple coffee shops, reading my book, grabbing a light snack...the niece I mentioned, who as I said is evangelical had come with us to the cathedral and sat with the grandmother for awhile, but later she saw me sitting at an outdoor cafe right next to the cathedral and came and sat down next to me.

I bought her a coffee and we sat together for while, but then she took me walking and showed me some old parts of the city I hadn't seen before, as well as took my by her father's electronic shop.
While we were there her young niece who was about 6 years old was hanging out, so we took her with us on our walk...the three of us had fun together that Easter morning, stopping for more coffee and a snack for the little girl, and then strolling through the park.

I remember thinking at the time how ironic or funny the situation was, here we were an evangelical and an atheist enjoying easter morning together in beautiful Honduras...it was one of the more enjoyable moments of my trip.
I like ABBA. I like that song.  :tellmemore:
They're not that bad.
Magdalena

Dragonia

• The Believer That Wasn't There
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 06:46:10 AM »
Aw, Father Bruno, she can't help but love you! No matter what wickedness lays in your heart.  :devil2:
I love your stories about Honduras and I can't wait for more pictures!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Magdalena

• Butterfly of Doom.
  • Guardian of Reason
  • Angry hippies need to smoke cheap weed.
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2017, 08:25:36 AM »
I remember thinking at the time how ironic or funny the situation was, here we were an evangelical and an atheist enjoying easter morning together in beautiful Honduras...it was one of the more enjoyable moments of my trip.
That's nice.  :tellmemore:

“I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe.” ~Recusant

"Color me fascinated..." ~Asmodean, The Gray God.

Father Bruno

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 10:22:59 AM »

p.s. hey mags, i think that be the same dude who don't like pupusas ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 12:09:07 PM by Father Bruno »
They're not that bad.
Magdalena

Magdalena

• Butterfly of Doom.
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 01:32:07 PM »

p.s. hey mags, i think that be the same dude who don't like pupusas ;)

The pupusa is perfect, if he doesn't like pupusas, that is fine because the pupusa will still be perfect even if he doesn't like them.

“I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe.” ~Recusant

Dragonia

• The Believer That Wasn't There
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 02:25:33 PM »
^^^true dat.... perfection doesn't change just because someone doesn't like it.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Magdalena

• Butterfly of Doom.
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 02:36:14 PM »
^^^true dat.... perfection doesn't change just because someone doesn't like it.

Power to the pupusa.

Father Bruno

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 08:04:41 AM »
Often times my respect for believers goes flying out the fucking window...

By the way I have no issues with Mrs Trump having posed nude at all, but the hypocrisy of assholes like Robertson really piss me off.
They're not that bad.
Magdalena