Do you find it sad that the School Teacher is taxed to help the priest, but...

Started by MatureMcLeod, September 30, 2016, 10:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MatureMcLeod

Not the priest is taxed to help the School Teacher...

The teacher is all about treating children nicely and telling them to have bright futures by making good choices.
The priest is all about doing harm to the children and forcing them to believe a book that justifies every crime imaginable.

Yet, the teacher goes to jail for making one mistake, but the priest gets to do whatever he wants because the church covers it up. I HATE that the teacher has to pay a large part of her salary, but the priest gets to walk away tax free. Does anyone else find this sickening?

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Yep, the tax exemption for churches is tiresome, but there are historical reasons for it. For one thing, in the United States, it's part of the way separation of church and state is maintained. If churches get involved in politics they can have their tax exempt status revoked.

You say the teacher is taxed to help the priest. How do you see that working? Can you give a substantial example of how tax dollars are used to help priests, or churches? Please be specific.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

Quote from: Recusant on October 01, 2016, 07:05:55 AM
If churches get involved in politics they can have their tax exempt status revoked.
So, since they are involved in politics in a covert we-were-never-here way, does it then stand to reason that they should be taxed the living shit out of in the same manner? May The Asmo suggest repurposing some former burglars into a new government agency? CTC, Himthink. Covert Tax Collections.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Arturo

We could probably do a lot of substantial goodness by taxing churches.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

The preacher enjoys a special tax status in the US. The church property is also given special treatment. Both those realities annoy me.  Can't you just imagine the tax revenue from the Morman tabernacle, Joel O'steens church, and the many other edifices that are monuments to mans ego as opposed to the actual celebration of god. The property tax revenue from all those churches in bible belt states could finance a big chunk of say.......the school board budgets. We could use that money to pay teachers a salary more nearly commensurate with their contributions.