News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Fifty Years of Star Trek

Started by Recusant, September 08, 2016, 11:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

On September 8, 1966, the first episode of "Star Trek" aired on American TV. Some of the followers of its many incarnations have decided that September 8 is "Star Trek Day."

So, cheers.   :beer:

Boldly go where no one has gone before.

'IwlIj jachjaj (Klingon: "May your blood scream!")

Live long and prosper. :spock:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

joeactor

As a Klingon, I approve!
(I'm buying the Gagh...)

BTW, if you haven't watched "Star Trek Continues", it's worth a look.

Very nice homage series to TOS.

Here's their channel (with 7 episodes):
https://www.youtube.com/user/StarTrekContinues

Kekerusey

Quote from: Recusant on September 08, 2016, 11:26:14 AMBoldly go where no one has gone before.

Though the original was to, "Boldly go where no man has gone before."

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

joeactor

I'm assuming everyone knows the original theme song has lyrics:
http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/trek.asp

Recusant

No, I didn't know that! I think they're wretched.

Almost completely unrelated: I did know that the "I Dream of Jeannie" theme has lyrics, which actually aren't too bad.

Other TV trivia from the 60s: "The Prisoner" began filming in Portmeirion on September 5, 1966. I didn't hear that until today, though, so rather late to the party.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

joeactor

Quote from: Recusant on September 08, 2016, 08:37:19 PM
No, I didn't know that! I think they're wretched.

Almost completely unrelated: I did know that the "I Dream of Jeannie" theme has lyrics, which actually aren't too bad.

Other TV trivia from the 60s: "The Prisoner" began filming in Portmeirion on September 5, 1966. I didn't hear that until today, though, so rather late to the party.

Great show - horrid remake, though.

Recusant

Yes, I watched it, and regretted that decision. I'm glad McGoohan wasn't around to see it. Now apparently Ridley Scott would like to try his hand at screwing with near perfection.
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

I wasn't aware that the franchise was from that far back.  :o

Live long and prosper indeed!  ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Kekerusey

J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

xSilverPhinx

Did anybody watch 'Star Trek Beyond' and like it?

Recusant

I go to those movies because . . . I can't help myself, but I'm not impressed. It's all about the spectacle, and whatever cerebral content that the pre-"reboot" Star Trek had seems to have been binned.

By the way, I'm digging the Max Actor avatar, joeactor:)

— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on September 11, 2016, 08:39:52 PM
I go to those movies because . . . I can't help myself, but I'm not impressed. It's all about the spectacle, and whatever cerebral content that the pre-"reboot" Star Trek had seems to have been binned.

By the way, I'm digging the Max Actor avatar, joeactor:)

Oh, my Asmo! Max Headroom! I remember him!

I knew I had seen something similar to that avatar somewhere before, but I couldn't remember where!
Thank you! Now I can sleep in peace.  ;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

I have no idea what you guys are talking about.  :sad sigh: