News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Ratings

Started by Kekerusey, September 04, 2016, 11:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kekerusey

At the risk of going all facebook on everyone ... what about ratings for posts?

Keke
J C Rocks (An Aspiring Author's Journey)
The Abyssal Void War Book #1: Stars, Hide Your Fires

Siz

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

xSilverPhinx

I personally don't like the idea of a kudos system. In other forums that I occasionally frequent that do have such a system in place it seems that getting "likes" or accumulating reputation points becomes an end in itself for some people, and many times those with the most reputation points are seen as the most credible and trustworthy, even if what they say is complete crap. In essence, it boils down to more likeable people=more credible.   

We had a few of threads on this but due to the Great Crash we had not too long ago in which many threads are floating somewhere in the internet ether, I couldn't find the more recent one.

Here are a couple of ancient threads on the subject that turned up in a search:

http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=8281.0

http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=7418.0
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: Kekerusey on September 04, 2016, 11:01:41 PM
At the risk of going all facebook on everyone ... what about ratings for posts?

Keke
Why?Seriously. Lay out what you consider the pros and cons and we can consider it again.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Much better not.  Fernanda's observations are right, in my experience.

Kekerusey

Quote from: Tank on September 05, 2016, 06:38:27 AMWhy? Seriously. Lay out what you consider the pros and cons and we can consider it again.

The [expletive deleted] pros and cons? Gimme a break!

I just thought it was a nice way to show appreciation, that's all.

Keke

Tank

Quote from: Kekerusey on September 05, 2016, 12:08:41 PM
Quote from: Tank on September 05, 2016, 06:38:27 AMWhy? Seriously. Lay out what you consider the pros and cons and we can consider it again.

The [expletive deleted] pros and cons? Gimme a break!

I just thought it was a nice way to show appreciation, that's all.

Keke
LOL! This issue has been discussed a lot. If you're not fussed then we'll go for a no on the issue. I wanted to read your input, without stating my opinion, in case you brought something new to the discussion. Many years ago I joined a forum on photography (Photo SIG). By sheer coincidence I was one of the first couple of hundred members. I was there for about 6 months when they introduced a thumbs-up thumbs-down rating system. Within a couple of weeks the place had degenerated into a clique driven bitch fest! So I left. I've been on other forums where they have become clique driven and disintegrated as a result, Richard Dawkins Forum being the most notable. Those two experience have coloured my opinion on like/not-like and secret areas, a big no to both as far as I am concerned. Unless somebody can suggest a reason. Hence the question.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Kekerusey

Quote from: Tank on September 05, 2016, 01:05:00 PMLOL! This issue has been discussed a lot. If you're not fussed then we'll go for a no on the issue. I wanted to read your input, without stating my opinion, in case you brought something new to the discussion. Many years ago I joined a forum on photography (Photo SIG). By sheer coincidence I was one of the first couple of hundred members. I was there for about 6 months when they introduced a thumbs-up thumbs-down rating system. Within a couple of weeks the place had degenerated into a clique driven bitch fest! So I left. I've been on other forums where they have become clique driven and disintegrated as a result, Richard Dawkins Forum being the most notable. Those two experience have coloured my opinion on like/not-like and secret areas, a big no to both as far as I am concerned. Unless somebody can suggest a reason. Hence the question.

Fair enough.

Keke

Asmodean

Personally, I'm not opposed to the idea as such, but I would rather read positive/negative comments than compare the number of likes/dislikes.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Firebird

I'm not a fan of the idea either
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Pasta Chick

"Like" systems exist as operant conditioning for posting. Sort of brilliant but also scary manipulative. Especially with the Facebook's introduction of sound with notifications - there literally marking and rewarding us.

The problem is in most venues, activity is valued more than content. So you get a flurry of vapid click-bait crap in a giant popularity contest.

Tank

Quote from: Pasta Chick on September 07, 2016, 01:06:50 AM
"Like" systems exist as operant conditioning for posting. Sort of brilliant but also scary manipulative. Especially with the Facebook's introduction of sound with notifications - there literally marking and rewarding us.

The problem is in most venues, activity is valued more than content. So you get a flurry of vapid click-bait crap in a giant popularity contest.
I'd not considered the 'training' aspect of a 'Like' system. Another nail it its coffin for me.