News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Hello from an Unhappy Atheist

Started by Warthog Driver, August 03, 2016, 10:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warthog Driver

Greetings!

Yes, I am an unhappy atheist. Not unhappy with my life, my spouse, my son, though. I am, however, unhappy with the institution of religion. All religions. Especially the ones who are constantly trying to force-feed their beliefs down my throat. I am unhappy that a significant portion of the population of the United States thinks that I am amoral. I am unhappy with global warming deniers. I am unhappy with the relentless attempts to slide religion into the curriculum of our public schools. I could go on like this, but if you are a member of this site, then you've probably heard all of this before.

I am not politically correct. Though I won't go out of my way to be crass to someone with an opposing point of view, I have no problem vehemently dismissing ridiculous assertions. I don't have to show respect for anyone who denies evolution, believes in virgin birth and resurrection, and thinks that the Earth is 6 to 10 thousand years old. I need not be nice to people who come a knocking at my door to tell me the 'good news'. Whoever thinks it is perfectly fine to disrupt the sanctity of my home to tell me that my world-view is incorrect and I need to change my ways is going to get an earful from me.

I have no agenda. I will not change people's minds about the existence of god. I am not trying to reach out to the other side to bridge any gaps. If the level of our knowledge of our universe and it's mechanics isn't sufficient enough to do that, then no amount of soap-box rallying on my part, pleasant or vitriolic, will awake the millions of zombies who insist on a super-natural creator.

I am here because I'm tired of listening to the other side. I've heard every style of argument: circular, inductive reasoning, god of the gaps, Pascal's wager, etc. None of them stand up to scrutiny. As far as I'm concerned, I can't believe we're still arguing about it. This debate is an anachronistic spat tantamount to whether or not Mighty Mouse would beat Superman in a fight. Pure child's play.

I must be fair and admit that I am not a great debater. Any slick theist would probably shred me, but only because their mastery of language and spin. I am ill equipped to deal with such techniques.

I will let scientific discovery reveal the true nature of reality. And if that revelation points to god, then so be it. In the mean time, there isn't anything that I've experienced in my 45 years that would persuade me otherwise. Does science have all the answers? No. Not currently. And that I AM happy about. That is a key difference between a theist and myself. I'm not afraid to stare into the unknown and I won't dope myself up with fanciful notions of invisible beings to fill those voids.

If anyone attempts to engage me in dogmatic debate, then let me say it now, "Save it for church, churchy. The adults are talking."

What I am interested in is more practical. How do we keep religious institutions from attempting to subvert scientific discovery and insidiously working itself into all aspects of out private lives? Surely that's attainable. And if it isn't, then I don't want to share this world with these people. Plain and simple.

Warthog Driver

Dave

Welcome, WD, let's hope you can find some debate here.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Asmodean

Welcome!

Great insights often come from people who do not consider themselves to be great debaters. Me, I judge on merit alone.

Warthog, you say... I assume you refer to the ATV rather than the plane or the... Pig? Because the latter seem impractical for the purpose of driving.  ;)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

Quote from: Warthog Driver on August 03, 2016, 10:01:34 PM
Greetings!

Yes, I am an unhappy atheist. Not unhappy with my life, my spouse, my son, though. I am, however, unhappy with the institution of religion. All religions. Especially the ones who are constantly trying to force-feed their beliefs down my throat. I am unhappy that a significant portion of the population of the United States thinks that I am amoral. I am unhappy with global warming deniers. I am unhappy with the relentless attempts to slide religion into the curriculum of our public schools. I could go on like this, but if you are a member of this site, then you've probably heard all of this before.

I am not politically correct. Though I won't go out of my way to be crass to someone with an opposing point of view, I have no problem vehemently dismissing ridiculous assertions. I don't have to show respect for anyone who denies evolution, believes in virgin birth and resurrection, and thinks that the Earth is 6 to 10 thousand years old. I need not be nice to people who come a knocking at my door to tell me the 'good news'. Whoever thinks it is perfectly fine to disrupt the sanctity of my home to tell me that my world-view is incorrect and I need to change my ways is going to get an earful from me.

I have no agenda. I will not change people's minds about the existence of god. I am not trying to reach out to the other side to bridge any gaps. If the level of our knowledge of our universe and it's mechanics isn't sufficient enough to do that, then no amount of soap-box rallying on my part, pleasant or vitriolic, will awake the millions of zombies who insist on a super-natural creator.

I am here because I'm tired of listening to the other side. I've heard every style of argument: circular, inductive reasoning, god of the gaps, Pascal's wager, etc. None of them stand up to scrutiny. As far as I'm concerned, I can't believe we're still arguing about it. This debate is an anachronistic spat tantamount to whether or not Mighty Mouse would beat Superman in a fight. Pure child's play.

I must be fair and admit that I am not a great debater. Any slick theist would probably shred me, but only because their mastery of language and spin. I am ill equipped to deal with such techniques.

I will let scientific discovery reveal the true nature of reality. And if that revelation points to god, then so be it. In the mean time, there isn't anything that I've experienced in my 45 years that would persuade me otherwise. Does science have all the answers? No. Not currently. And that I AM happy about. That is a key difference between a theist and myself. I'm not afraid to stare into the unknown and I won't dope myself up with fanciful notions of invisible beings to fill those voids.

If anyone attempts to engage me in dogmatic debate, then let me say it now, "Save it for church, churchy. The adults are talking."

What I am interested in is more practical. How do we keep religious institutions from attempting to subvert scientific discovery and insidiously working itself into all aspects of out private lives? Surely that's attainable. And if it isn't, then I don't want to share this world with these people. Plain and simple.

Warthog Driver

Hello and welcome to HAF, Warthog Driver. I don't blame you for being unhappy with religion. As for what a significant portion of the population of the US thinks, well those people believe many things that don't make much sense. In that, they aren't much different from a significant portion of the population of the world.

I'm glad you joined this site, and I think you'll find some worthwhile things here. Meanwhile, here are some threads you might find interesting:

Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler

. . . And of course, the Forum Rules.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!  :welcome:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Welcome.  I'm from Texas.  What about you?

Tom62

Welcome to HAF.
Religion over here is mostly harmless. I therefore assume that you live somewhere in the South of the USA.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Icarus

Welcome to the forum Warthog.  It appears, from your introductory letter, that you will fit in nicely at HAF.  Most of us have an attitude that is similar to yours.

Magdalena

Welcome, Warthog Driver,  :computerwave:
I hope that you like it here and that you stay.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: Warthog Driver on August 03, 2016, 10:01:34 PM
Greetings!

Warthog Driver

Excellent rant! It probably sums up why many people come to this 'Woo free zone'. Each and every point you make impacts on many of the members here. You'll fit in perfectly.

Welcome to HAF.

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Good intro, WD. Welcome to the forum!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

OldGit

We're all on your side, Warthog Driver.  I hope we'll be able to come up with some ideas to help you - we'll certainly be able to entertain you.

Bad Penny II

Hakuna Matata

Quote from: OldGit on August 04, 2016, 10:49:23 AM
We're all on your side, Warthog Driver.  I hope we'll be able to come up with some ideas to help you - we'll certainly be able to entertain you.

I'm not necessarily on his side and I'm part of the all.
And no I'm not apologising for the Hakuna Matata.
It's our problem-free philosophy.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.