Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

A question for theists

Started by imaginaryfriendless, July 28, 2016, 06:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Asmodean on July 30, 2016, 09:37:49 AM
Quote from: Icarus on July 30, 2016, 01:08:30 AM
Asmo, forgive me for being picky but I believe that your billion exponent should be 9 not 12. Never mind the concept is sufficiently correct.
It is in the first example. It's twelve in the second. The difference is also explained in the post.  ;)

If that's too cloudy, here is a link:)

I used billion to indirectly point out how you could get a time interval one thousand times longer without even changing the name of the number.
Another case where things expressed in maths terms, as numerical exponentials in this case, are universal whereas words mean what the speaker or listener understand them to mean.

Understanding is not a universal constant!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Asmodean

Yes. Personally, I prefer yet another (exponential) scale if them numbers really DO need names; basically, you go up until you run out of names, then invent a new name. It makes theoretical sense, but that's all there is to it.

For example,

A million million is a billion. (Because money and such do go that high, one could retain milliard to mean one thousand million)
A billion billion is a trillion.
A trillion trillion is a quadrillion.
Etc...

It's absolutely shit practically though. For example, a number could be five hundred and twenty seven million and twenty four billion fourty two thousand million seven thousand and eleven. Not easy to follow, yes? And I'm only up to billions.

(527000024042000007011)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Quote from: Asmodean on July 30, 2016, 11:23:48 AM
Yes. Personally, I prefer yet another (exponential) scale if them numbers really DO need names; basically, you go up until you run out of names, then invent a new name. It makes theoretical sense, but that's all there is to it.

For example,

A million million is a billion. (Because money and such do go that high, one could retain milliard to mean one thousand million)
A billion billion is a trillion.
A trillion trillion is a quadrillion.
Etc...

It's absolutely shit practically though. For example, a number could be five hundred and twenty seven billion fourty two thousand million seven thousand and eleven. Not easy to follow, yes? And I'm only up to billions.

'Twould have been better to start again! Three noughts being the "unit":

1 000 = one million ("million" has its routes in the Italian for "one mile")
1 000 000 = one billion
1 000 000 000 = one trillion
Etc.

Bit late now though . . .

Asmodean

Well, yes. My version of the long scale is maybe a bit better to deal with than the standard one as you don't have to keep all them -ards in mind, except maybe the milliard because it can be useful for ye general crowd who do not intuitively understand exponents, but in general, the long scale, especially my version of it (I claim it somply because I forgot who to attribute it too and am too lazy to look it up) is too counter-intuitive. The short scale... I just disagree with using one thousand as a base for multiplication. Seems too arbitrary. (Same with the long scale's use of one million. However, it takes longer for the long scale to start smelling of arbitrary bullshit. The one I proposed does not do that at all, but it's practically unusable)
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Dave

Quote from: Asmodean on July 30, 2016, 11:47:24 AM
Well, yes. My version of the long scale is maybe a bit better to deal with than the standard one as you don't have to keep all them -ards in mind, except maybe the milliard because it can be useful for ye general crowd who do not intuitively understand exponents, but in general, the long scale is too counter-intuitive. The short scale... I just disagree with using one thousand as a base for multiplication. Seems too arbitrary.

Thought "milliard" a bit archaic, can't remember seeing it used in UK for, oh, milliards of days.

Seems it has similar origin to "million" but via French, from the Italian for "mile".

Asmodean

By the way, I found this wiki-map interesting:

Blue: Long scale
Arterial blood: Short scale
Venous blood: Short scale (and milliard)
Gay and friendly purple: Both scales
Yellowish-orangeish-something: Other naming system
Asmo-gray: No data

Source
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Asmodean on July 28, 2016, 01:57:25 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 28, 2016, 06:13:30 AM
If it's all real, I doubt it will be boring.  But it's all speculation.  Nobody knows.
The very last bit is, of course, the sensible answer to this question. However, I would like to address the first sentence.

Six point two billion years. On a short scale Americans are used to, that translates to 620000000 years. If once a century you reset your birthday clock to zero, you will get to fill 62 years old 10000000 (Ten million) times.

Now, that's a LONG time. However, it's not even a microscopic wart on the left butt cheek of eternity. Let me put it in perspective; on the long scale that we use in continental Europe, a billion is 10^12, which is 1000000000000. 6.2 long billion years, using the same birthday reset example, will allow you to celebrate your 62nd birthday 10000000000 times. That is ten thousand million.

Ten thousand million sixty second birthdays. You don't think the cake and the silly song will have gotten a bit too much well before you even get to the last set of zeros in that number?

And even it is nothing compared to eternity. A long decilion years has 42 zeros behind it. Imagine that! Imagine existing that long! It's not an inviting thought, even given that I freely admit to being absolutely incapable of comprehanding that number.

Yes, it is hypothetically possible to change our internal clocks to tick a lot slower... But an eternity is eternally vast, and my example will still inevitably apply. The only solution I can think of is non-linear time... But that doesn't necessarilly allow you to exist forever by the common definition of what existing forever might mean.

As long as there is something else to do, I'm not bored.  If I'm healthy, and have different things to do, I see no reason why existence forever or eternally, etc., would be insupportable.  I like life, and I'm imaginative.  Especially when I'm alone.  Maybe we get our own universes to play with.  Asmo could literally destroy Luxembourg every day.  And inhabit his worlds with different types of ratties.  How could that ever get boring?

Asmodean

Six point two long billion years of ratties. Ten thousand million (Count them! It would take more than a lifetime.*) sixty-second birthdays. Followed by a decilion and a quarter years of the Universe being a dark place with an occasional elementary particle zooming this way or that. Followed by another thousand years of... Yeah, pretty much the same. Followed by (insert whatever)...

Imagine being healthy and imaginative even for ten thousand years. What would you do? What would you talk and think about? Yes, I suppose ten thousand years could be manageable for some few individuals given they lived in an evolving society, but a stagnant place of absolute happiness? I doubt it. Stagnation leads to people very quickly becoming sick and tired. Even otherwise functional interpersonal relationships are a good example of that.

When you have done all that would even remotely interest you, seen everything you deem to be worth seeing (And one would assume that after witnessing the birth and subsequent death of one hundred billionth Universe, you'd not consider that all that worth seeing either) ...My point is, what else is there?

*Seriously. I'm giving it an optimistic one count per second. You would only get to something like 3,2 thousand million in one hundred years.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

I don't know how time would be measured, if at all, in another realm.  Assuming God exists, he apparently doesn't get bored - making new universes, destroying new universes, etc.  Again, it's all speculation since we don't know.  I'm game to try, and if it does get tedious, I suppose I could do away with myself.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 31, 2016, 03:34:23 PM
I don't know how time would be measured, if at all, in another realm.  Assuming God exists, he apparently doesn't get bored - making new universes, destroying new universes, etc.  Again, it's all speculation since we don't know.  I'm game to try, and if it does get tedious, I suppose I could do away with myself.
Mmmh... Is not a human soul supposed to be immortal?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.