News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Talking to myself . . .

Started by Dave, July 04, 2016, 07:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

When you are warm and comfortable and know that every step will hurt your gout ridden foot there is a strong temptation to just stay where you are - in bed!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

You ever just walk into someone's house and wonder where they are?
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Oh, dear, still haven't learned to wash my hands between eating chilli crackers and rubbing eyes!
:waah:

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on August 16, 2017, 08:50:03 PM
Oh, dear, still haven't learned to wash my hands between eating chilli crackers and rubbing eyes!

I am always astonished to see how eagerly my little African Grey parrot, Lulu, eats very hot raw chilis. It seems that capsaicin does not have the same effect on them.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 17, 2017, 05:49:52 AM

I am always astonished to see how eagerly my little African Grey parrot, Lulu, eats very hot raw chilis. It seems that capsaicin does not have the same effect on them.

Yes, I have watched a cockatoo actively sort through a feed mix for bird's eye chillis. I took one home and tried it, one was enought for a whole meal for me!

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on August 17, 2017, 06:48:47 AM

Yes, I have watched a cockatoo actively sort through a feed mix for bird's eye chillis. I took one home and tried it, one was enought for a whole meal for me!

Her intelligence is also amazing. We have a glass bowl on the balcony that she uses as a bath. Recently, she came walking into the kitchen, looked up, and said "No water". When we checked, the bath was empty. She loves going out, especially drives in the car and shopping for food at the local, quite large, supermarket. I am well known as the eccentric guy with a parrot on his shoulder. I would recommend that to any guys looking to meet women. She attracts them like a magnet and I am usually surrounded by adoring women; some get quite flirty with me as well, although I am no oil painting.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Oh dear, I must be old, I'm not enjoying Fringe humour anymore!  :sad sigh:

Dark Lightning

The birds don't taste the capsaicin. Squirrels can feel the burn, though. :o We add it to the food in the bird feeders for that reason.

Velma

I wish people would stop with the "What about my disease?!" when they come across a discussion about an entirely different illness.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Dave

Quote from: Fireball on August 24, 2017, 07:54:10 PM

The birds don't taste the capsaicin. Squirrels can feel the burn, though. :o We add it to the food in the bird feeders for that reason.
With that dry looking tounge I often wonder whether birds actyally taste anything, but they seem to have theur fsvourite seeds so I guessvthey do.

Hand feeding a rhea, the S. Anerican mini-ostrich, it grabbed at the pieces of apple eagerly but you could see them go immediately into the oesophagus, the lump travelling down the throat. No chewing, just the swallow, but evidently enjoyed going by the speed with which the mere sight of the apple attracted the bird and the undivided attention it got as I cut lumps off.

Like feeding a horse you learned to offer on a flat hand, that beak was hard and powerful!

Arturo

Quote from: Gloucester on August 24, 2017, 06:43:35 PM

What is that?
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on August 24, 2017, 09:30:40 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on August 24, 2017, 06:43:35 PM

What is that?

Every year Edinburgh, Scotland's capital, has a festival with concerts, a military tattoo (display of bands, trick horse and motorcycle riding, military choirs, competitions . . .) and other stuff. At the edge of all this is The Fringe - free shows of satire and comedy, street performers etc etc. It is huge, every possible "performance space" has a performance, there are no hotel or other room vacancies - a lot of the locals make a lot of money. And a lot of people sleep wherever they can. It has been the launch site for many now famous stand-up comedians from all over the world.

https://www.edfringe.com

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱

hermes2015

I used to love Beyond the Fringe, especially Peter Cook. Dudley Moore tried a bit too hard sometimes.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 25, 2017, 05:20:01 AM
I used to love Beyond the Fringe, especially Peter Cook. Dudley Moore tried a bit too hard sometimes.
Yes, that snd Behind the Fridge. A golden age of humour.