News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Talking to myself . . .

Started by Dave, July 04, 2016, 07:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

If people looked into my mind, they'd just end up bored. More bored than when they talk to me.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Sandra Craft

"The only reason I don't kill you is I don't feel I know you well enough yet.  Let's keep it that way."  I don't remember where that quote (probably paraphrased) came from, but it's my general reaction to mind-reading.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

Quote from: Father Bruno on June 21, 2017, 02:46:31 PM
The weather was decent yesterday when I got off of work so I took my bike out for a ride, put in maybe 28-30 miles, and on my way home I took a detour through the neighborhood I grew up in, and ended up taking a break at the park.

So I pulled my bike to a stop atop the hill were as a child my sisters and I went sledding with my dad, right over there was the small parking lot now closed where he would park his car, and where we would drink hot chocolate and eat cream-wafers that our mom prepared for us after we finished sledding.

I leaned my bike against a very old tree, one that my friends and I used to climb on, sometimes we would sit on the branches talking or simply hang from our legs,... my friend Mark kissed his first girl in this tree.

Both the hill and tree look so small now, of course the hill has eroded some with time. Off to the side there was a small ridge that ran down to the side, and when I was older my friends and I would race our bikes down from the hill top and jump our bikes off the ridge.

Due to the fact that this hill was formed  during the last ice age the hill is entirely made of sand, so where we landed our bikes was a large, soft spot. We would have contests to see who could jump their bikes the farthest.
One time as I jumped I watched in terror and disbelief as my front tire detached itself from my bike and flew away from me...I could see in my mind what would happen as I landed, first the rear tire would connect with the ground, and then my front forks would dig into the soft sand, and I would come crashing down onto my handlebars and smash head first into the bike frame and ground. So I simply let go of the bike and watched it slowly sail away from me as I prepared myself for impact as I was probably a good 3-4 feet up in the air. Strangely enough I didn't get hurt at all as I landed squarely on my butt in the sand, and my bike, the "Blue Presidential" as it flew on it's own easily cleared the previously held record for the farthest jump by quite a few feet.

On that day I was a hero, with my friends commenting that my jump and fall was the absolute coolest thing they ever saw. Of course someone suggested that maybe the jump shouldn't count as I wasn't actually on it when I landed, but they were quickly overruled.

As I stood there as these thoughts and memories came washing over me, I tried to determine where the time had gone...and I wanted to go back and do it all over again, but there is nothing there now. Just old memories that have passed along with the people I knew and loved, and who are now forever gone from my life.

I tried to imagine myself young again on this hill or up in the tree, and if possible imaging an older me standing someday on this very spot contemplating all that was and ever shall be, but it's fruitless I guess.

Bruno, nostalgia is both beautiful and sometimes dangerous.  I like your recount of the adventure.  Best advice is not to try to best the distance records of your youth.   

Arturo

Quote from: Ali on June 22, 2017, 07:34:40 PM
Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 22, 2017, 04:17:52 PM
Quote from: Ali on June 22, 2017, 07:32:30 AM
Some people find me charming and smart. Joke's on them. They don't see what a complete mess I am.

I'm glad most people don't know the real chaos of my mind!
Right? Mr Ali and I were talking about mind reading for some reason, and he was saying that he thought if people could read each other's minds it would bring about true empathy and end wars and stuff. I was horrified by the very idea. I don't know what the inside of his head looks like, but mine is unlikely to bring about world peace, and the idea of someone being able to see what goes on in there is genuinely appalling.

Mind reading...lol I think if you look at people with schizophrenia then you'll realize mind reading doesn't bring peace. It makes you fucked up.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ali on June 22, 2017, 07:34:40 PM
Quote from: Claireliontamer on June 22, 2017, 04:17:52 PM
Quote from: Ali on June 22, 2017, 07:32:30 AM
Some people find me charming and smart. Joke's on them. They don't see what a complete mess I am.

I'm glad most people don't know the real chaos of my mind!
Right? Mr Ali and I were talking about mind reading for some reason, and he was saying that he thought if people could read each other's minds it would bring about true empathy and end wars and stuff. I was horrified by the very idea. I don't know what the inside of his head looks like, but mine is unlikely to bring about world peace, and the idea of someone being able to see what goes on in there is genuinely appalling.

I think if people knew what was inside my mind it would most likely start interpersonal wars instead of end them. Mind-reading would make lying useless, and the ability to lie is the "glue" that holds relationships together in some cases, maybe even entire societies.

For example, while I'm not judging them, professional clergymen who no longer believe and continue to preach/lie are responsible in a way for keeping communities together.     
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Arturo

I came to the library after the gym to do something...but what was it...
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Yesterday I heard a comedian say that when Barack Obama became president of the United States he looked like Bruno Mars. By the time he was done with both terms he looked like Morgan Freeman:lol:
~That's so true, and sad.  :(

...Anyways...

Makes me wonder what President Trump will look like in the future if he's elected twice. :notsure:
He could be tired already, who wouldn't be...after working 169 days, 7 hours, some minutes and a few seconds!  :lol:
He said: "This is more work than in my previous life. I thought it would be easier."
I imagine him looking like Noah, from the bible. Or Moses, or Methuselah ...one of those guys. 

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on July 09, 2017, 01:11:24 AM
Yesterday I heard a comedian say that when Barack Obama became president of the United States he looked like Bruno Mars. By the time he was done with both terms he looked like Morgan Freeman:lol:

...Anyways...

Makes me wonder what President Trump will look like in the future if he's elected twice. :notsure:
He could be tired already, who wouldn't be...after working 169 days, 7 hours, some minutes and a few seconds!  :lol:
He said: "This is more work than in my previous life. I thought it would be easier."
I imagine him looking like Noah, from the bible. Or Moses, or Methuselah ...one of those guys. 

I imagine him locked up in an asylum
     Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

...Anyways...

I'd imagine he'd look something like this:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 09, 2017, 10:01:12 AM

...Anyways...

He already does if you squint a bit!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on July 09, 2017, 11:53:19 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 09, 2017, 10:01:12 AM

...Anyways...

He already does if you squint a bit!

:snicker:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Biggus Dickus

Dropping this here, as I'm tired and don't feel like holding it any longer...an old friend of mine passed away recently. Took his own life at the age of 49.

He is an old army buddy of mine, we met back around 27 years ago in late 89 or 90...I forget. We called him D-Day, which was both a play on his last name, and also one of the characters from the movie Animal House.

I spoke with him only recently, back towards the beginning of May. Later this year we have an Airborne Reunion down at Ft. Banning and D-Day and I, plus another friend were planning to hook up and drive down together. Our other friend lives in Tennessee outside Chattanooga. We called this guy Smeeth, which is both short for Smith and Wesson, and also closely resembles how Drill Sargent Hernandez used to pronounce his name..., so the plan was to hook up early in the week at Smeeth's place, hang out for a couple days and then drive down together to Ft. Benning and spend the weekend with all of our old buddies.

So Smeeth got the call from D-Day's ex-wife about the suicide...he then called me. It's been a long couple weeks...apparently D-Day was struggling with a lot things in his life (Not just the PTSD, but employment struggles, alcohol abuse, failed relationships, and some recent health issues I wasn't aware of)

I miss my friend he had the most infectious smile you ever saw...when I think of him that's the image that alway's comes to my mind, of him looking at you with that big, wide grin of his.

I hadn't spoken to him much in the years since I left Benning, mostly the odd emails here and there...in fact when we spoke on the phone in May it was the first time I had actually spoken to him since I left.
He sounded well on the phone, and we talked for sometime, both reminiscing about our past times together and catching up on our lives since the Army, and planning our trip in September which we were both really excited about. Not just the reunion itself, but hanging out around Chattanooga for a couple days.

We spent a lot of time in and around Chattanooga when we were all together at Benning...only 3 hours drive from the base, and Smeeth's family lives in Ooltawah which is just outside the city, so we would use their family place in the hills as our base and go camping out in the Smokies whenever we had the chance, especially at a lovely and secluded place called "Lost Creek".

I have a lot pictures of out times camping, all of us together in some photo albums, and one picture in particular is of D-Day. Me and  another guy were headed out one morning from our campsite to go fishing downstream of the creek and I happen to have my camera at the ready when we passed by D-Day squatting on the ground taking a dump over a slit-latrine. I yelled at him to say cheese and snapped a quick picture, and it turned out perfect, with his ass low to the ground, his body white as fuck, one arm stretched out in front of him holding onto a low tree branch, the other braced behind him as he turned his head to look at us and smile with his greatest grin ever. It's one of my favorite photo's, not only of him, but of the great times it reminds me of.

Yesterday I was on the phone with Smeeth, and we talked for a long, long time,... of course everyone in the Airborne community heard what happened, and so the reunion organizers are going to set aside a long table for those buddies we've lost over the years to include D-Day (Too long a table unfortunately). They've asked for pictures we can place on the table, so of course we thought it only fitting that I take a framed copy of my picture of D-Day squatting in the woods, I think he would like that.

Smeeth also told me that D-Day was cremated, and his family wants to give him some of the ashes. So he is planning to drive out to Kentucky in a couple weeks and pick them up (D-Day is from the coal mining hills)

We figure to take the ashes up to lost creek, camp over night and spread the ashes there.

Not sure who said it, but I remember a saying that goes along the lines of only that in you which is me can hear what I'm saying.

Peace D-Day, I love you brother.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Sad news for you, Bruno.

Never having developed a relationship of quite that nature I only have a inkling if how you feel from when my old climbing buddy in the RAF got demobbed before I did (his new wife did not tolerate his old mates so...)

There is something so different in the relationship between two people, regardless of gender, that have shared a mutual, "I've got your back/rope," type situation where one's life might be at stake. It is entirely unlike any other kind and now that more women are allowed into high-risk-shared situations I think they are more in tune with what was once called "male bonding", and may be seen as a challenge, because it was only men that took some kinds of risks. There is room for both.

Yes, that brotherly love is a very precious thing and can be as strong a bond as any other. It's loss does really hurt.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱

Tom62

That is bad news, Father Bruno.
My condolences
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein