News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Language - its use

Started by Dave, June 25, 2016, 05:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Tank, can't seem to quote your post.

Opinion:
a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Thus, I admit, possibly subjective.

I would not call either versions of the age of the Earth "opinions" exactly. Both are based on evidence, though we might say the creationist version is based on uncorroborated evidence whereas the age we would subscribe to has some concrete evidence that can be corroborated, by anyone with the right kit, at any time. More like a theory?

Anyway, wasn't it the whole universe that was created 6000 odd years ago?  ;)

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

gentle_dissident

I agree that the way we speak to each other forms society.

It would be fun to have someone translate an obscure creative work, and then have another translate it back to the original language. I wonder if the metaphors would come back intact.

Dave

Done my research now, OldGit, and happily accept that my memory was faulty in the origins of French.

But I am still of the opinion that language and culture/custom are linked and thus may affect behaviour. Though, as I also said, modern, international, influences are smoothing out the differences. At the same time the various versions of English seem to move further apart, Australians seem to be speaking a quite different dialect to us "on the street". With their increasing trade in their own back yard perhaps Chinese and Japanese will creep in, as Indian did in this country during the empire.

One question, did vulgar Latin have a similar, rigid, grammatical structure to the more formal version?

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Gloucester on June 26, 2016, 05:03:44 PM

Hating any subject is a qualification only for hating that subject. It makes any opinion the hater might have, on anything related to that subject, automatically subjective, biased and/or prejudiced. Should a number of well known names come to a similar, but independent, opinion on something then that concensus may have authority - so long as history does not prove them otherwise (which it has a nasty habit of doing).

I didn't mean that Old Git hates French.  I meant that he hates the French.  ;D

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 26, 2016, 08:21:39 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on June 26, 2016, 05:03:44 PM

Hating any subject is a qualification only for hating that subject. It makes any opinion the hater might have, on anything related to that subject, automatically subjective, biased and/or prejudiced. Should a number of well known names come to a similar, but independent, opinion on something then that concensus may have authority - so long as history does not prove them otherwise (which it has a nasty habit of doing).

I didn't mean that Old Git hates French.  I meant that he hates the French.  ;D
That does not change what I said. "I hate pop music" disqualifies me from commenting on any aspect of the subject because my opinion would be biased. (I do like some.) [Later: we are all permitted our opinions, so I would not be "disqualified", but anyone knowing of my hatred would, or should, discount my opinion.]

Hmm, suppose I could admit that some particular pop musician was a decent bloke apart from his choice of musical genre!  :)

OldGit

Quote from: BruceI didn't mean that Old Git hates French.  I meant that he hates the French.  ;D

Well, that's mostly a joke, too.  But I actually do dislike the French language.

Quote from: GloucesterOne question, did vulgar Latin have a similar, rigid, grammatical structure to the more formal version?

The grammatical structures, such as verb tenses, were replaced by new ones using extra words.  Similarly the heavy reliance on case alone to indicate relationships was replaced by the greater use of prepositions and many case-endings ceased to be distinguishable.  And so on - basically Latin became structurally what the Romance languages are today.

It really needs a fat book to describe all this stuff fully, but try the Wiki article on Vulgar Latin.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: OldGit on June 26, 2016, 08:53:21 PM
Quote from: BruceI didn't mean that Old Git hates French.  I meant that he hates the French.  ;D

Well, that's mostly a joke, too.  But I actually do dislike the French language.

My impression of French is that it has taken relatively simple Romance language (like Spanish and Italian) and made it hard and unpronounceable.  I lived in France for 9 months, and I lived in Italy for almost 3 years.  My first 9 months in Italy was enough for me to do fairly well at the language.  9 months in France was not nearly as productive.   

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on June 26, 2016, 07:46:55 PM
Odd. You should be able to. Is the quote button there and not working or not there at all?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on June 26, 2016, 09:34:19 PM
Odd. You should be able to. Is the quote button there and not working or not there at all?
It's OK now. When I first hit the button I got a message telling me tbat I was not allowed to even view your post!

Did wonder if there was a limit to the number of quotation layers permitted, on the system TH uses only 3 are allowed.

In this vein is there a way to attach images directly from my tablet files? I have found the [img] button now. On TH you selected the file, from your machine, under "attachments" and it automatically uploaded. Does one copy and paste then frame with tbe html?

Is there a sandpit to experiment in?

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on June 26, 2016, 09:49:33 PM
It's OK now. When I first hit the button I got a message telling me tbat I was not allowed to even view your post!

Did wonder if there was a limit to the number of quotation layers permitted, on the system TH uses only 3 are allowed.

In this vein is there a way to attach images directly from my tablet files? I have found the [img] button now. On TH you selected the file, from your machine, under "attachments" and it automatically uploaded. Does one copy and paste then frame with tbe html?

There is no forum limit thread quote nesting.
Attachments are disabled. I'll explain that later.
If you like you can start a sandpit thread in 'Ask HAF'.  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

The elusive ghost quote, know in some circles as the bigfoot or even Nessie quote. Some swear by its existence while others dismiss it as pure fantasy. 

Dave

Quote from: Tank on June 26, 2016, 10:04:28 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on June 26, 2016, 09:49:33 PM

There is no forum limit thread quote nesting.
Attachments are disabled. I'll explain that later.
If you like you can start a sandpit thread in 'Ask HAF'.  :D
Thanx Tank

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 26, 2016, 09:11:21 PM

My impression of French is that it has taken relatively simple Romance language (like Spanish and Italian) and made it hard and unpronounceable.  I lived in France for 9 months, and I lived in Italy for almost 3 years.  My first 9 months in Italy was enough for me to do fairly well at the language.  9 months in France was not nearly as productive.

My impression is that it's sort of frozen in time.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 26, 2016, 10:45:27 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 26, 2016, 09:11:21 PM

My impression is that it's sort of frozen in time.
I still reckon you can put much all of that down to Academie protectionism in historical terms.

Looking around I found this article, from a 1995 edition of The Washington Post, which I found amusing:
QuoteHistory was made here tonight, mon vieux. And you French may never be the same.
But, of course, the French just shrugged...

An inflexible language reflecting an overly formal nature historically - the land of, "Non!".Nice wine and food and some good films though...

Magdalena

Language? I enjoy watching people's body language.

It's too bad we can't do that, here.  :(

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant