News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Brexit

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, June 24, 2016, 05:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Looks like it's "Leave."

Does this mean the the end of Cameron and the rise of Boris?

And Scotland wanted to "Remain."  Will they now leave the UK and join the EU as an independent nation?

Asmodean

Unexpected. I think this is a glowingly-good example of what can happen if you mobilise your couch voters. The leaves were just somewhat more successful than the stays at it.

The Mirror writes:
Quote from: mirror.co.uk
Farage claims he's won Brexit 'without a bullet being fired'

Nigel Farage has claimed he has won Brexit "without a single bullet being fired".

The Ukip leader's highly inflammatory comments at a Leave.EU victory party in London come just a week after Remain-backing Labour MP Jo Cox was shot dead.

He told supporters: "The dawn is breaking on an independent United Kingdom!"

The millionaire former banker was met with roars of approval as he told backers: "We have fought against the multinationals, we have fought against the big merchant banks we fought against big politics, we fought against lies, corruption and deceit
Source

...So the lady who got killed over this..? She was stabbed with them bullets, right? Because not a single one was fired, yes?

Also, Cameron resigned. I've read something earlier about some vote taking place to keep him in the office? I guess he felt he had to go over this issue?

...Also, what is this Article 50, that's being mentioned both here and there with not a single reference to where they've got it from..?  :(

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 24, 2016, 05:08:53 AM
And Scotland wanted to "Remain."  Will they now leave the UK and join the EU as an independent nation?
Gibraltar voted overwhelmingly in favour of staying too.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

So, we've decided to leave.  The next thing will be that the establishment try to reach a settlement with which they try to fool the British people that we're out, but which really will still be a concealed 'in'.

Leaving is a very worrying move and some things will go badly, but despite temporary chaos I believe that it's the right thing for the long term.  The EU is a sinking ship and will break up in chaos with or without Britain.

Cameron has announced that he will resign in a few months.  I think that is the right decision.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Asmodean on June 24, 2016, 08:43:51 AM
Unexpected. I think this is a glowingly-good example of what can happen if you mobilise your couch voters. The leaves were just somewhat more successful than the stays at it.

The Mirror writes:
Quote from: mirror.co.uk
Farage claims he's won Brexit 'without a bullet being fired'

Nigel Farage has claimed he has won Brexit "without a single bullet being fired".

The Ukip leader's highly inflammatory comments at a Leave.EU victory party in London come just a week after Remain-backing Labour MP Jo Cox was shot dead.

He told supporters: "The dawn is breaking on an independent United Kingdom!"

The millionaire former banker was met with roars of approval as he told backers: "We have fought against the multinationals, we have fought against the big merchant banks we fought against big politics, we fought against lies, corruption and deceit
Source

...So the lady who got killed over this..? She was stabbed with them bullets, right? Because not a single one was fired, yes?

Also, Cameron resigned. I've read something earlier about some vote taking place to keep him in the office? I guess he felt he had to go over this issue?

...Also, what is this Article 50, that's being mentioned both here and there with not a single reference to where they've got it from..?  :(

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 24, 2016, 05:08:53 AM
Gibraltar voted overwhelmingly in favour of staying too.

Article 50 is the procedure for setting in motion the process of extricating us I believe.

If only people under 50 had been allowed to vote, it would have been the other outcome apparently. You can't do that, but it's more their world than mine. Neither choice was appealing, but isolationist position is an unenviable one, especially when no-one can predict anything with certainty, (except that our beloved PM will never wonder where his next meal is coming from).

I have to say I was really really shocked. I thought it would be about 60/40 for remain.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Ecurb Noselrub

I still think the USA and the U.K. ought to unite.  We would kick ass. USAS - United States of Anglo-Saxons. Canada, too.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 24, 2016, 12:08:17 PM
I still think the USA and the U.K. ought to unite.  We would kick ass. USAS - United States of Anglo-Saxons. Canada, too.
What you really mean are the native English speakers. And you can all have the Queen back as head of state.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on June 24, 2016, 09:30:55 AM
So, we've decided to leave.  The next thing will be that the establishment try to reach a settlement with which they try to fool the British people that we're out, but which really will still be a concealed 'in'.

Leaving is a very worrying move and some things will go badly, but despite temporary chaos I believe that it's the right thing for the long term.  The EU is a sinking ship and will break up in chaos with or without Britain.

Cameron has announced that he will resign in a few months.  I think that is the right decision.

What's done is done. And you can bet your life that the Brexiters will be blamed for everything that ever goes wrong again. The first thing will be a price rise in petrol as oil in paid for in dollars. But that won't worry some people as they don't use petrol or diesel :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on June 24, 2016, 12:33:55 PM
What you really mean are the native English speakers. And you can all have the Queen back as head of state.

We like the Queen. Since she has no power, I'm fine with that.  Or England could just be a separate group of states with that tradition: New England, Old England. 

Native English speakers have a lot in common.  Unification makes sense.

Firebird

Quote from: Tank on June 24, 2016, 12:33:55 PM

No no no no no no no no... Please. I beg you. No more tabloids covers. No more discussions about who will be king or queen. No more royal weddings. Every time the US press covers the royals I want to shoot my TV. Every time my Facebook feed fills up with royal wedding crap I want troll harder than Music Loving Atheist. Why is Kate so "admired"? What has she ever done besides look pretty and pump out babies? Hell, your economy's going downhill now with Brexit, why not dump the monarchy and all the money spent on it to make up for it?
Sure, we'll take you on, but dump the Queen. We'll dump the deep South. I'll keep Texas since Ecurb's more worthy than the damn Queen and her brethren.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

OldGit

Quote from: TankThe first thing will be a price rise in petrol as oil in paid for in dollars. But that won't worry some people as they don't use petrol or diesel :D

Sadly, autogas is distilled from oil and will also get dearer.  So will a lot of other things, but we'll have to grin and bear it.  Things will look different in a few years.

Davin

Man, and the shipping cost calculations for my company were already very complicated to deal with for the EU... I can't wait to dig into the changes with this...
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

joeactor

It's a huge experiment, that's for certain.

Not sure where it's gonna end up, but it's time to buy stock if you've got spare $$$

xSilverPhinx

Interesting times we live in. :popcorn:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tom62

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 24, 2016, 03:55:36 PM
Interesting times we live in. :popcorn:

Isn't that a Chinese curse?
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Asmodean

Quote from: OldGit on June 24, 2016, 01:56:42 PM
Quote from: TankThe first thing will be a price rise in petrol as oil in paid for in dollars. But that won't worry some people as they don't use petrol or diesel :D

Sadly, autogas is distilled from oil and will also get dearer.  So will a lot of other things, but we'll have to grin and bear it.  Things will look different in a few years.
Is it not, in a way, a bi-product of subsea drilling and such..? I must admit, I'm a bit weak on the details. Is it at least a propane/butane mixture?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.