News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Living in Sin!

Started by Recusant, June 19, 2016, 12:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

. . . Anyway that seems to be the only inference one could make.

"Updated: Most marriages today are invalid, Pope Francis suggests" | Catholic News Agency

QuotePope Francis said Thursday that many sacramental marriages today are not valid, because couples do not enter into them with a proper understanding of permanence and commitment.

While he initially said in unscripted comments that "the great majority of our sacramental marriages are null," he later approved a revision of these remarks.

When the Vatican released its official transcript of the encounter the following day, they had changed the comment to say that "a portion of our sacramental marriages are null."

[Continues]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Essie Mae

I've been living in sin these 44 years because my marriage wasn't in the Catholic church anyway. Seems I got the permanence and commitment bit about right in spite of that though.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

:lol: So the creepy, opiniated pope is at it again. I think it's rather funny that his comment was revised. It's like he puked crap, gobbled it up again for further digestion and puked it back out.

Not a smart move, commenting on the marriages of catholics as he just alienated a great majority a portion of them.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

No one

Should I be honored, or concerned that whatever it is that created all of time and everything contained within it,  has such regard for my affairs?

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on June 19, 2016, 02:20:21 AMI think it's rather funny that his comment was revised. It's like he puked crap, gobbled it up again for further digestion and puked it back out.

Not a smart move, commenting on the marriages of catholics as he just alienated a great majority a portion of them.

:cheers: I agree; it's some fine comedy. I can't say I have any fondness for Pope Francis but plenty of conservative Catholics hate him, so he has that going for him. The Fox News shitbird who called him "the Catholic Church's Obama" a few years ago has now called for him to resign.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Well 36 years and still going  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Well... Whoever says that their marriage to me is valid is totally full of shit, so... Yay, pope, I guess..?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

I've also been happily married for 44 years.  What the hell does the bloody pope know about marriage, anyway?

Ali

Quote from: OldGit on June 19, 2016, 05:34:57 PM
I've also been happily married for 44 years.  What the hell does the bloody pope know about marriage, anyway?
Haha, this is a great point. Want to know how to do marriage right? Ask a dude who chose supposed live long celibacy...

Recusant

It's possible that the pope has made it a bit easier for couples to get an annulment from the church, by saying that many/some Catholic marriages are null already.  :chin:
— H. L. Mencken

No one

How to do marriage right?
As long as the parties involved,  honor and respect each other through the thick and the thin,  the highs and lows, the twists and turns it is done right.

Secondly anyone else's opinion of your union is complete and total poppycock! Whether it is one's parental units, their siblings or some religious "enthusiast",   it still remains irrelevant gobbledygook!

Ali

Quote from: No one on June 19, 2016, 09:52:36 PM
As long as the parties involved,  honor and respect each other through the thick and the thin,  the highs and lows, the twists and turns it is done right.

Secondly anyone else's opinion of your union is complete and total poppycock! Whether it is one's parental units, their siblings or some religious "enthusiast",   it still remains irrelevant gobbledygook!

Yes, I agree. I was being a little tongue in cheek. There are many ways to "do marriage right" as long as the partners treat each other with respect and kindness.

Siz

Quote from: Ali on June 19, 2016, 11:22:42 PM
Quote from: No one on June 19, 2016, 09:52:36 PM

Yes, I agree. I was being a little tongue in cheek. There are many ways to "do marriage right" as long as the partners treat each other with respect and kindness.
Many marriages work very well on two very different factors - fear and obligation.  That said, my wife is still working on earning respect and kindness - they're aspirational rather than prerequisite.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Firebird

Quote from: Ali on June 19, 2016, 08:28:20 PM
Quote from: OldGit on June 19, 2016, 05:34:57 PM
Haha, this is a great point. Want to know how to do marriage right? Ask a dude who chose supposed live long celibacy...

Seriously. It's also a terrible idea to marry someone before you've slept with them. Just imagine discovering that they're terrible in bed. Or that the sexual chemistry is so lacking that you're unable to do it. I know more than one couple who discovered this after they were married. 
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"