News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Kalamazoo Five

Started by Biggus Dickus, June 17, 2016, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

I'm sure most folks have heard by now of the tragedy that struck here in western Michigan in the city of Kalamazoo on June 7th, when five bicyclists were killed, and four severely injured by a hit and run driver while out riding.

5 bicyclists killed, 4 injured when truck crashes into group near Kalamazoo

I lived in Kalamazoo for about a year and a half when I was younger, and my daughter attended school for four years at Kalamazoo College.
It's a beautiful area, and lovely city with a vibrant cycling community. Several years ago I participated in a ride there with some friends, and everyone here in the state who rides has been reeling in shock from this.

Here is an excellent and moving article by Jason Gray reflecting on this tragedy.
Five Bicycles in Kalamazoo

QuoteKalamazoo, Mich.
The road looks like it could be almost anywhere in America.

Two lanes, ruler straight, it can be taken in and out of town. Where the horror happened, up on North Westnedge Avenue, there's a small hill, nothing major, just a gentle roller, past a string of greenhouses and a county park.

When I visit, there's still debris scattered at the scene. The shattered pieces of a bicycle's tail light. A set of tire levers, used to change a flat. A broken-off piece of sunglasses. A fragment of a carbon fiber frame—which, upon closer inspection, turns out to be part of a "dropout" that holds a bike's rear wheel.

It is both heartbreaking and difficult to comprehend.

Lance Armstrong also visited the city shortly after the tragedy to meet with the survivors of the crash and family members of those killed as well as to participate in an event with other riders to finish the ride those 9 cyclists started that day, and shares his story of these events and his thoughts on the matter here.
Lance Armstrong: Why I Went to Kalamazoo to Finish the Ride

QuoteAfter a day in Kalamazoo spent with the survivors of the horrific crash that left five cyclists dead, Lance Armstrong details how he learned of the tragedy, his participation in an event to finish the ride that those cyclists started, and his emotions of seeing five ghost bikes for the first time: "The whole thing was just completely shocking."

Tomorrow morning a group of us are joining some other local bike clubs to go on a silent ride to honor those killed and injured, nothing fancy, just a silent ride in memory and solidarity.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Asmodean

The name of that town sounds like what you get when Calamity and Kazoo have sex.

Nah, I shall not mock, but I must admit to being desensitised to the plight of the cyclists on a car road. It must be said, however, that depends on the speed limit on the road in question and individually, on whether or not a given cyclist follows the traffic laws, especially those nice yield right of way signs.

The run part of the hit and run I DO disapprove of, by the way, just in case any one wonders.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Bad Penny II

Back in 2009 I saw Magda Szubanski, an obese female comedian doing her thing about cyclists, their Lycra outfits and declaring them verminous.  That's impolite isn't it, me referring to her weight? Spewing hate that gets cyclists killed and crippled is fine though.  Racist and homophobe rants are censured, fair enough, it gets people killed but for some reason it's open season on cyclists.  She's gay, I've heard her being interviewed, playing the fashionable caring lefty. People love her, the sound of her voice makes me cringe.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/tv--radio/magdas-anticyclist-rant/2009/10/01/1253989983683.html
QuoteIn a segment on the Channel Ten show where guests can rant about what irritates them, Szubanski expressed her frustration towards lycra-clad cyclists on Melbourne's Beach Road, prompting an inundation of angry comments on blogs and websites.

The TV host and comedian started by saying she was fed up with cyclists riding for exercise — "a four-lane highway is not your gym".

However, Szubanski and fellow comedian Julia Morris angered cyclists, after suggesting motorists should "just drive and take them out", "open the [car] door!"

http://theconversation.com/why-do-we-still-hear-people-joke-about-hitting-cyclists-31214

Of course, satire, self-deprecation, taking the piss and not taking ourselves too seriously are hallmarks of Australian culture. Should cyclists lighten up and take it with good humour? It's all a bit of fun, right?

Yet this isn't harmless fun. The importance and impact of language in public discourse was highlighted in the recent move to replace the macho term "king hit" with the disempowered "coward punch". Similarly, the words used in media rants that encourage violence against cyclists have immediate repercussions.

Participants in a cycling safety study in the Australian Capital Territory reported increased harassment in the days immediately after the rants by Szubanski, Morris and Warne. Many of these regular commuting cyclists experienced a significant increase in physical intimidation from drivers, vehicles overtaking too closely, verbal abuse from drivers and passengers, and use of car horns.

Public incitement to violence against cyclists validates the view of a minority of drivers who already hold anti-cyclist views. At worst, it can encourage aggression and normalise the concept that real-life violence against cyclists is acceptable. This endorsement is potentially more influential, and therefore more dangerous, when made by a celebrity or public figure.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Recusant

Having survived an aggressive car/bike hit and run (I got a ruptured spleen out of the deal, so I was lucky) I agree that there's nothing acceptable about it, let alone being a source of humor. I also had a friend who was killed by a bus when riding his bicycle on the streets.  :-\
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

Quote from: Recusant on June 19, 2016, 03:22:51 PM
Having survived an aggressive car/bike hit and run (I got a ruptured spleen out of the deal, so I was lucky) I agree that there's nothing acceptable about it, let alone being a source of humor. I also had a friend who was killed by a bus when riding his bicycle on the streets.  :-\

Unfortunately, these can be the results of playing in the same sandbox as things that are several orders of magnitude bigger than yourself in nearly every respect that matters. Yes, some motor vehicle operators are assholes, but on an 80kmph speed limit road, if you and your bike buddies ride three-four abreast, then so are you.

The difference is that the asshole in the semi is far more likely to outlive the asshole in a car who, in turn, is likely to survive the condom-clad cyclist who owns the road and has no mirrors.

My point is; don't be an ass whatever the fuck you drive, then maybe we all will live and not wish each other dead.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

Sometimes I encounter herds of cyclists, who think that they participate in the Tour de France and that they own the road. I'm not fond of cycling as a sport (there are only few sports that I find more more boring than cycling)  and whenever I see some of these cyclist behaving like aggressive clowns, I have to suppress the urge to run them off the road.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Asmodean

Quote from: Tom62 on June 19, 2016, 06:02:27 PM
Sometimes I encounter herds of cyclists, who think that they participate in the Tour de France and that they own the road. I'm not fond of cycling as a sport (there are only few sports that I find more more boring than cycling)  and whenever I see some of these cyclist behaving like aggressive clowns, I have to suppress the urge to run them off the road.
Yes. I think some cyclists actually do believe that the same rules as apply to me in a car do not apply to them. So it takes you more effort to get up to speed again after slowing/stopping than it does me? Well...

For those of you who, like me, are not fond of excessive use of images, here is a text version:
If you keep to one side, respect the road signs and traffic lights, indicate your intentions and wear a helmet with a mirror, so that you know I'm coming, then I will happily overtake you the way I would overtake another car, yield right of way to you from the right or where appropriate signs so dictate, and even avoid bodies of water where there is risk of you getting drenched in my spray. Push your agenda before mine where you are not entitled to do so, however, and we will have a disagreement which I will win.

...And for the rest, a show'n'tell:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

It has to be stated that I'm not defaulting the blame on the cyclists in this particular accident, especially given the fact that the driver left the scene. However, I do see this thread as a nice opportunity to discuss a topic that causes a lot of noise and accusations and controversy every time the winter snow melts. I don't wish cyclists harm, and even welcome them to share the road with me as long as they don't get in the way more than the other road users, but when it comes to them playing chicken with cars, trucks and buses, I'm a stark realist regarding their chances.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tom62 on June 19, 2016, 06:02:27 PM

Like this?

This happened not far from where I live. Southern Brazilian drivers are notoriously bad but this is a but much, I think.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ali

I don't think it's funny or appropriate to joke about hurting cyclists (or anyone really) I do confess that I get a little impatient being stuck behind cyclists on streets where they can't go the speed of traffic. I wish more major streets had bike lanes for the cyclists' safety and my sanity.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ali on June 19, 2016, 11:27:43 PM
I wish more major streets had bike lanes for the cyclists' safety and my sanity.
These help too sometimes:
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

No one

Whenever I see a cyclist,  I move over as far as I can to ensure there is as much room as possible between us. And yes,  while there are shitbags who ride their bicycles with zero concern for others,  and disobey the rules of the road,  they are the minority. Now I may think that the way these Einsteins ride will eventually get them hit, I do not wish it upon them.

All the signs and safety precautions in the world are not going to save you from a drunken douche,  or even worse someone suffering a seizure and losing control of their vehicle. I realize this hasn't been said by anyone, but incompetence abounds in our species.

Siz

As a UK cyclist who sometimes rides in large groups and sometimes solo I experience much unprovoked aggression from drivers. It would be an unusual ride indeed not to be sworn or beeped at at least once. The issue is more of impatience than a reaction to any particular lack of consideration on our part. Of course, I've seen many a dick on a bike - experienced club riders too - but (trying my best not to be biassed) I see far more unprovoked aggression from drivers than inconsiderate cyclists.

It's amazing cycling in France (and I'd guess most other European countries) - I feel like a special citizen on a bike - always given a wide clearance, often given priority with a smile and sometimes given a wave and a cheer. During the cycling events on the continent, extra trains are laid on with extra bike carriages for people to get around. In the UK on event days (like the London-Brighton) cycles are banned from the trains for the day. I wonder what the general welcome is like in the US for cyclists?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Ecurb Noselrub

The US seems pretty cyclist friendly, from what I can tell.

Siz

Quote from: Asmodean on June 20, 2016, 12:11:25 AM
I wish more major streets had bike lanes for the cyclists' safety and my sanity.

^
The mark of Satan Himself.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Siz on June 20, 2016, 01:48:02 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on June 20, 2016, 12:11:25 AM

^
The mark of Satan Himself.

:snicker:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey