News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

The future of the forum

Started by Claireliontamer, June 14, 2016, 12:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

You could borrow a method from Christianity and try to "make disciples."  Each person bring someone else and introduce them to the forum.

Nah, sounds like too much work.

You could change the name of the forum to "Lazy Atheists" or "Comfortably Numb Atheists" or "Apathetic Atheists" or some such.

You could hire a marketing firm. 

We could contribute money to a fund and sponsor a child in a third-world country, then let the media know about it.  That would attract attention.  No such thing as bad publicity.

I'm done.

Guardian85

Maybe we could try reaching out to someone with a bit of an audience in the online community for a shout out?
Maybe try to get Tank on with The Thinking Atheist?  :P

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Siz

I'm only here for my 3000-post commemorative spork. If Bad Pudding leaves before I get there I'll be really cross.
And where else am I going to find a Davin?  Crows are ten-a-penny but Davins are hard to find.

No, you're right, I don't have much relevant to add either... but I am one post closer...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 15, 2016, 11:08:10 PM

You could change the name of the forum to "Lazy Atheists" or "Comfortably Numb Atheists" or "Apathetic Atheists" or some such.

A name change could be in order, how about the "Prudish Proud Preppy Atheist Forum"?
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 15, 2016, 11:08:10 PM
You could borrow a method from Christianity ...

"We're gonna make a fortune!"
:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on June 16, 2016, 03:04:20 PM
A name change could be in order, how about the "Prudish Proud Preppy Atheist Forum"?
I think I can be a prudish, proud, and preppy atheist.  :notsure:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

Quote from: Magdalena on June 16, 2016, 10:17:30 PM

Would that be Lysergic acid diethylamide?

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on June 17, 2016, 12:09:38 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on June 16, 2016, 10:17:30 PM

Would that be Lysergic acid diethylamide?

No!

I've never tried that!

...Even after such unpleasant suggestion, No one is "Alright."

I mean it.

Biggus Dickus

By the way my favorite pie is "Apple".

Ali

I blame all the gifs. (I KID, I KID! I just remember that was once a source of controversy.)

Hi all,
Xoxoxox Alex asked me to come back and give my thoughts on why I don't visit the forum much any more. First of all, I don't consider myself an ex-member. HAF4Lyfe! And it's really nothing to do with the forum. I've always loved this forum and how it was a virtual hang out for an international group of friends. I met G85. Buddy, G85, Tank, and Siz met up. Claire and JJ found love! This place is awesome.

I think the problem for me is just that I'm kind of in a different place in my life right now. When I found this place, I was still pretty "into" my atheism. And I wanted to talk about it!!! These days, I'm still an atheist, but a pretty apathetic one to be honest. I just don't have much else to say on the topic at the moment. I also don't have a ton of time for the Internet any more. I used to work a job that necessitated about 2 hours of work and about 6 hours of Internet surfing a day, so that made it easy to keep up. Now I have a job that works me to the bone most days, and then for years I would go home and be a single parent to two small boys, and have to take care of them and dinner and all of the housework, and by the time that was done, I just wanted to fall asleep watching a movie or something, and not have to interact with anyone.

But! Good news! I think most of you are my FB friends, so you probably already know, but I'm engaged and living with my fiancé. So that part of my life has changed again. Not saying I have a ton more time now, as we have 4 boys between the two of us (3 year old, 8 year old, 11 year old, and a 13 year old, Asmo help us) but at least I have someone to share a stressed out crazy smile with when things are hectic.

Anyway, I guess that's an explanation and an update all at once. I do miss you heathens, and want to be a better HAFer. I'll definitely try.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ali on June 17, 2016, 06:45:31 PM
I blame all the gifs. (I KID, I KID! I just remember that was once a source of controversy.)
In threads like this one, for instance, I do blame them - or at least see them as potentially destructive to the serious nature of the argument.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Biggus Dickus

I must admit to being very desensitised to the plight of a poster who claims destructiveness of an argument on a simple graphic interchange format; I mean if you can't take it I guess stay off the internets,maybe go someplace where it's safe?

Asmodean

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on June 17, 2016, 10:52:09 PM
I must admit to being very desensitised to the plight of a poster who claims destructiveness of an argument on a simple graphic interchange format; I mean if you can't take it I guess stay off the internets,maybe go someplace where it's safe?
What plight would that be, I wonder?

Are you perhaps reading stuff into my comment that isn't there? If so, I can clarify. Free use of graphics adds to the mess. Mess makes it more difficult to follow the threads of the discussion. That leads to the discussion being dropped or derailed - perhaps before it reaches some actual goal/conclusion/resolution. Off-topic half-liner comments in serious discussion threads often serve the same purpose. My opinion? It sucks, but not enough for a response beyond "fuck it" or, in this case, these few words on the subject.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

Quote from: Ali on June 17, 2016, 06:45:31 PM

Hi all,
Xoxoxox Alex asked me to come back and give my thoughts on why I don't visit the forum much any more. First of all, I don't consider myself an ex-member. HAF4Lyfe! And it's really nothing to do with the forum. I've always loved this forum and how it was a virtual hang out for an international group of friends. I met G85. Buddy, G85, Tank, and Siz met up. Claire and John found love! This place is awesome.

I think the problem for me is just that I'm kind of in a different place in my life right now. When I found this place, I was still pretty "into" my atheism. And I wanted to talk about it!!! These days, I'm still an atheist, but a pretty apathetic one to be honest. I just don't have much else to say on the topic at the moment. I also don't have a ton of time for the Internet any more. I used to work a job that necessitated about 2 hours of work and about 6 hours of Internet surfing a day, so that made it easy to keep up. Now I have a job that works me to the bone most days, and then for years I would go home and be a single parent to two small boys, and have to take care of them and dinner and all of the housework, and by the time that was done, I just wanted to fall asleep watching a movie or something, and not have to interact with anyone.

But! Good news! I think most of you are my FB friends, so you probably already know, but I'm engaged and living with my fiancé. So that part of my life has changed again. Not saying I have a ton more time now, as we have 4 boys between the two of us (3 year old, 8 year old, 11 year old, and a 13 year old, Asmo help us) but at least I have someone to share a stressed out crazy smile with when things are hectic.

Anyway, I guess that's an explanation and an update all at once. I do miss you heathens, and want to be a better HAFer. I'll definitely try.

I'm the same way Ali. When I first joined I was all about the atheism and now it's really not that big of a deal.

And I keep forgetting that G85 came out your way. Wow G85, you've really been around the block.  ;)
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.