News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Fall of the Anglican church

Started by Firebird, June 02, 2016, 07:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebird

Apparently non-believers outnumber Christians in England and Wales for the first time.

Britain Is Losing Its Religion, or at Least Its Official One
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Recusant

The report has been out for about a week or so; thanks for posting about it here, Firebird.

As you cannily hinted, the headlines about how "atheists now outnumber Christians in England and Wales" are of course inaccurate. The demographic that outnumbers Christians is actually the "nones." This includes people who just don't care about the issue, as well as those who say "I'm spiritual but not religious," "I believe in God but I don't believe in any religion," and anybody else who, when asked what their religion is, check the "none" box. Some of them are no doubt atheists, but unlike the Pew religious landscape study on the US, this report says nothing about the actual beliefs (or lack thereof) among the "nones." The focus of the report is on Catholicism, something which is mentioned in very few of the news articles. For those who are interested, I was able to find it: "Contemporary Catholicism in England and Wales" [PDF]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Muslims are around 5%.  I would have thought it higher. 

Crow

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 02, 2016, 11:28:41 PM

Thy little enclaves spread about the major cities and towns which makes the population seem larger. They often like to say the figures are growing but it isn't even keeping up with immigrant population from "Muslim countries".
Retired member.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on June 03, 2016, 01:46:24 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 02, 2016, 11:28:41 PM

Thy little enclaves spread about the major cities and towns which makes the population seem larger. They often like to say the figures are growing but it isn't even keeping up with immigrant population from "Muslim countries".
Plus the fact that the younger Muslims are sort of splitting into radicals (noisy minority) or cultural/lip-service (vast majority) Muslims. Western values are very corrosive to strict religions. The real issue are the off-radar Jewish schools they are as bad as the worst madrasers.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on June 03, 2016, 07:01:29 AM
The real issue are the off-radar Jewish schools they are as bad as the worst madrasers.

Antisemitism, antisemitism!  ;D

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 04, 2016, 02:01:23 PM
The real issue are the off-radar Jewish schools they are as bad as the worst madrasers.

:grin:
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Firebird

Quote from: Tank on June 04, 2016, 02:43:03 PM

Fucking Jews
(I was raised Jewish, I can say that)  :)
I was once playing a drinking game in college, and a friend pulled a good card from the pile and said "luck of the Irish!" Later on, I pulled one too and proclaimed "luck of the Jews!" First friend turned to me and said "What fucking luck? You guys get killed everywhere you go!" To which I responded "Yup, and we're due!"

In all seriousness, I'm surprised that's a big problem too. Didn't think there would be enough of those schools to be an issue.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tank

Quote from: Firebird on June 04, 2016, 03:58:07 PM
Quote from: Tank on June 04, 2016, 02:43:03 PM

Fucking Jews
(I was raised Jewish, I can say that)  :)
I was once playing a drinking game in college, and a friend pulled a good card from the pile and said "luck of the Irish!" Later on, I pulled one too and proclaimed "luck of the Jews!" First friend turned to me and said "What fucking luck? You guys get killed everywhere you go!" To which I responded "Yup, and we're due!"

In all seriousness, I'm surprised that's a big problem too. Didn't think there would be enough of those schools to be an issue.
Well one would be one too many.

Icarus

Only the Hassidic schools or ultra orthodox schools are fringe lunatic institutions.

Firebird

There was a school district in upstate New York where the hassidic community took over the school board just so they could divert funds for their private schools. Don't have the link handy, but it was messy, and I believe the state had to take over to stop the abuse.

Waski_the_Squirrel

Quote from: Firebird on June 05, 2016, 03:16:57 PM
There was a school district in upstate New York where the hassidic community took over the school board just so they could divert funds for their private schools. Don't have the link handy, but it was messy, and I believe the state had to take over to stop the abuse.

Here is a New York Times link.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/03/opinion/when-a-school-board-victimizes-kids.html