News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

One Christian's Plea for Transgender Acceptance

Started by Sandra Craft, May 10, 2016, 12:18:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

This may need to go in current event or social issues. It's a plea for Xtians to be more understanding and accepting of gay and trans people, from a Xtian.  I think it's a valiant attempt to compare biblically-based homo- and transphobia with the earlier biblically-based acceptance of slavery, and how Xtians eventually quietly decided that the bible didn't actually mean what they were once certain it did mean, but I'm not sure it'll go anywhere.  Still, I wanted to recognize an honorable effort:  One Christian's Plea for Transgender Acceptance

QuoteToday, many (although I realize not all) Christians are against LGBT equality in one form or another. I'm pretty convinced that this is a matter of cultural influence over biblical interpretation, mostly because gender dysphoria as we understand it today is nowhere in scripture (it's a bit more complex than just cross-dressing). There have always been LGBT people, but not until this century did science and psychology finally begin to understand the biological and psychological underpinnings that make gender and sexual identity so complex.

I think this fear, disgust, and discrimination results from a lack of understanding, and Christians are just as guilty of this as anyone. Based on several Facebook posts, tweets, and blog forums, it's pretty obvious who has taken the time to get to know and understand LGBT persons and who hasn't. "But I have gay/transgender friends!" doesn't really mean anything. Maybe you work with a transgender person and make small talk with him/her on a daily basis. But that's nothing like sitting down and asking what it's like to be in their skin, or being trapped in bodies that never felt like theirs.

That's unimaginable to me, as a cis-gendered, heterosexual woman. And I confess, I don't think I know any transgender people personally. But I do know what it's like to go through life being misunderstood, and that motivates me to understand the struggles of others.

I want to broaden my horizons if my opinions are rooted in ignorance.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ecurb Noselrub

Understanding other people who differ from you requires time and effort and a good bit of personal investment.  For those who take Jesus seriously, it should be clear that that's what he did.  It's easy to hate and build walls. It takes a lot to love and accept. Just hanging around other people facilitates understanding.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 10, 2016, 04:59:31 AM
Understanding other people who differ from you requires time and effort and a good bit of personal investment.  For those who take Jesus seriously, it should be clear that that's what he did. 

A point I heard made recently by someone who noted that Jesus sat down to dinner with thieves and prostitutes, so she doubted he'd object to baking a cake for a gay wedding.

QuoteIt's easy to hate and build walls. It takes a lot to love and accept. Just hanging around other people facilitates understanding.

Agreed.  Hard to do for anyone, believer or skeptic but more so, I think, for someone whose religion often takes the stand of "accept it unquestioningly, or else".  I was impressed with her line about wanting to broaden her horizons if her opinions were rooted in ignorance. 
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

OldGit