News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

If the universe were a simulation...

Started by Siz, April 23, 2016, 11:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Siz on April 24, 2016, 05:24:25 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on April 24, 2016, 04:32:49 PM
Quote from: Siz on April 23, 2016, 11:13:28 PMwould the religious (Christians, let's say) have cause for 'I told you so'?

Depends how they were programmed

They're just Christians, 'kay?! With tambourines and potting sheds and wearing their wife's knickers... Christians!

OK, it'll all depend of the quality of the deities simulated hat, might be shoes for some, robes, commanding voice.

If the simulation has been run and all the pieces are left a moment to reflect, the christaian components probably will be jolly and self congratulatory, it's in their nature. I be might be bighting as many of their faces as I can for old times sake but it's probably not worth the effort, it's last chance though.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Davin

Quote from: Siz on April 23, 2016, 11:13:28 PM
If the universe that we inhabit were a practical experiment undertaken by some macrocosmic lifeform (or AI), would the religious (Christians, let's say) have cause for 'I told you so'? Is that effectively what God is? Or do you think that the 'intent' of a creator is more important to the believer than the creation itself in the bestowal of the name God? Could a natural creator (as opposed to supernatural) be accepted as God?

Praps I'm asking the wrong people, but just wondered...
I think that for a justified "I told you so" it would require more reliable evidence than guessing (much, much better than guesses made by bronze age goat herders). Also, for Christians to have any "I told you so" weight, the "god" thing would need to be as they described it to be, otherwise deists would have a better "I told you so" than Christians. Otherwise atheists who say, "something started the universe as we know it, we just don't yet know that that thing is or if that thing is sentient." would have an equal (I think better), "I told you so."
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.