News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Public Breast-Feeding

Started by Sandra Craft, March 21, 2016, 11:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pasta Chick

Quote from: Claireliontamer on March 22, 2016, 08:28:37 PM
I did get a lot of negativity from certain people on there, interestingly usually the people who were really against breastfeeding where the people who for whatever reason couldn't do it themselves.

This whole phenomenon fascinates and repulsed me... I think somehow "breast feeding is best because all these reasons we have evidence for" became "YOUR CHILD WILL LIVE A PAINFUL TORTURED LIFE OF SLOW DISEASE AND MENTAL DEFICIENCIES IF YOU DONT BREASTFEED YOU MONSTER!!!!" Which has received understandable push-back.

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Pasta Chick on March 22, 2016, 08:44:44 PM
I did get a lot of negativity from certain people on there, interestingly usually the people who were really against breastfeeding where the people who for whatever reason couldn't do it themselves.

This whole phenomenon fascinates and repulsed me... I think somehow "breast feeding is best because all these reasons we have evidence for" became "YOUR CHILD WILL LIVE A PAINFUL TORTURED LIFE OF SLOW DISEASE AND MENTAL DEFICIENCIES IF YOU DONT BREASTFEED YOU MONSTER!!!!" Which has received understandable push-back.

Yep,  some people are truly terrifying with their opinions on motherhood ideals. I'll be honest,  the reason  I breastfed was pure laziness, the thought of dealing with bottles in the middle of the night when could whip out a boob was enough for me. The other big factor was cost,  bottles and formula  are bloody expensive.

Firebird

Quote from: Claireliontamer on March 22, 2016, 09:11:41 PM

Yep,  some people are truly terrifying with their opinions on motherhood ideals. I'll be honest,  the reason  I breastfed was pure laziness, the thought of dealing with bottles in the middle of the night when could whip out a boob was enough for me. The other big factor was cost,  bottles and formula  are bloody expensive.

People were against breastfeeding in general? Why would that be the case? I'm genuinely curious.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on March 22, 2016, 08:07:40 PM
100% on topic.

https://www.facebook.com/eelocke/posts/10208571575425534

Absolutely floored by the "we're trying to protect the children" comment.  They were trying to protect children from watching another child being fed?  And since when have kids ever cared one way or the other about nudity?  You don't keep an eye on them, they'll be running down the street naked.  It's adults who have the problem with it.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Firebird on March 22, 2016, 10:57:06 PM
Quote from: Claireliontamer on March 22, 2016, 09:11:41 PM

People were against breastfeeding in general? Why would that be the case? I'm genuinely curious.

Because they see it as something they get pressurised into. The health professionals here are very pro breastfeeding for all the health benefits so push it a lot. It is difficult to begin with, although a natural process it is something you have to learn and the first days/weeks in particular are hell. There's the physical pain, sore nipples, engorged breasts etc but then there's mental exhaustion too. Some babies when they're newborn can feed for hours at a time initially or every couple of hours all times of day. So some people I know in particular those who also had PND decided that the overall benefit of a happy less exhausted mum far outweighed the health benefits. But then like PC said above they face pressure to keep going from the breastfeeding online gestapo......just peruse any baby forum you'll spot them!

Pasta Chick

So much about what is "best" is dependent on so many factors. And it confuses me when people take "best option" to mean "DO THIS OR ELSE." Someone who faces incredible stress and difficulty breastfeeding is probably making a better choice by using formula, and ironically the rabid attitudes of the pro-breastfeeding crowd are likely making it even more difficult for that mother to relax about the whole thing and figure it out.

I was both breastfed and formula fed, as were my siblings. We're all doing ok.

The entire issue of breasts being shown blows my mind, honestly. I don't get why it's a problem. I would kill to be able to mow the lawn in August without sweating into a goddamn sports bra. If someone finds that sexy, that's their problem.

Magdalena

I don't think breastfeeding is disgusting, people who find it disgusting just have issues that they need to work out.  :shrug:

I agree with you, Claire, breastfeeding is difficult. I also went through the the pain of the let-down reflex, sore nipples, engorged breasts, mental exhaustion, etc. You said the reason you breastfed was pure laziness, well, the reason I breastfed was pure vanity. I lost the weight that I gained during the pregnancy and then some, very fast.

I never encountered a 'Breastfeeding Nazi' who made me feel as if my child would suffer if I didn't, and never had any problems in public places. It's also true that a lot of people can't even tell you're feeding the baby. Some women prefer to show the whole breast, others cover up completely, it's up to the individual. I don't know if one style bothers some people more than the other.

It's OK if a woman doesn't want to breastfeed, and they don't have give anyone reasons why either.:nu-uh:  Here are some reasons I've heard:
"Some women have huge boobs so they can breastfeed, I have small breasts, so there's not much milk in there."
"I couldn't breastfeed my baby because my milk 'dried up' right away."
"The baby didn't like my milk."
"I don't want everyone to see my boobs."
"My husband doesn't want everyone looking at my boobs."

Anyways...

Oh! Should we talk about how women are criticized for getting c-sections!?  :grrr:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Crow

What about breast pumps. Women don't always have to have their tit available at all times and if they have a problem with feeding in public just slap that milk in a bottle.
Retired member.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on March 23, 2016, 05:58:35 AM
Oh! Should we talk about how women are criticized for getting c-sections!?  :grrr:

Is that really a cross in the logo that I'm seeing?  ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 23, 2016, 10:35:43 AMIs that really a cross in the logo that I'm seeing?  ::)

Yes, it's the logo of the "Disciples of the New Dawn." Though there is some doubt, it seems rather likely to me that it's a Poe/parody.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

^^
I don't know how real the "Disciples of the New Dawn" are, but the C-Section haters are very real. I don't think I'll ever understand the logic behind their hate.  :sadshake:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Crow on March 23, 2016, 09:34:54 AM
What about breast pumps. Women don't always have to have their tit available at all times and if they have a problem with feeding in public just slap that milk in a bottle.
That's true.
A lot of women want nothing to do with breastfeeding or breast pumps because they believe in the "breastfeeding causes your breasts to become droopy" myth.

Crow

Quote from: Magdalena on March 23, 2016, 02:23:55 PM
Quote from: Crow on March 23, 2016, 09:34:54 AM
That's true.
A lot of women want nothing to do with breastfeeding or breast pumps because they believe in the "breastfeeding causes your breasts to become droopy" myth.

I'm sure it would be easy to force some women to be part of a human milk farm. If we raise them from birth for it then it won't make any difference as they wont know any better and then babies have a reduced risk of diabetes and some women will have continually plump breasts. Don't know what you would do with the excess babies though, perhaps leather and animal feed or a premium product for the rich perhaps.

On a serious note. I wouldn't be surprised if droopy boobies came from the rapid growth then loss of mass that comes with having a baby rather than the action of breast feeding itself. Some women get saggy stomach skin after giving birth others go back to being tight and firm I assume it would be the same thing.
Retired member.

Magdalena

Quote from: Crow on March 23, 2016, 03:39:05 PM

I'm sure it would be easy to force some women to be part of a human milk farm. If we raise them from birth for it then it won't make any difference as they wont know any better and then babies have a reduced risk of diabetes and some women will have continually plump breasts. Don't know what you would do with the excess babies though, perhaps leather and animal feed or a premium product for the rich perhaps.

:picard facepalm:
Ay dios mio!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on March 23, 2016, 12:07:34 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 23, 2016, 10:35:43 AMIs that really a cross in the logo that I'm seeing?  ::)

Yes, it's the logo of the "Disciples of the New Dawn." Though there is some doubt, it seems rather likely to me that it's a Poe/parody.

I'm not sure :-\

I've never encountered a C-section hater before, but the thing with Poes is that they have counterparts that really do believe their nonsense. So even if it is a parody, it doesn't make it any better.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey