News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Corrupt Societies Encourage Lying

Started by xSilverPhinx, March 14, 2016, 09:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

This societal problem is especially prevalent in Third World countries where institutions are weak and corrupt themselves.

Link to article (Science Magazine)

QuoteFinancial instability might help explain why cheating is more prevalent in certain countries, other researchers say. "If everyone around you is poor or desperate and scrambling for the next dollar, you might think that what matters is money, not adhering to high-minded rules," says David Hugh-Jones, an experimental economist at the University of East Anglia in Norwich, U.K.[...]

While it is understandable that someone who is struggling financially might be more prone to go to certain lengths to acquire some money, this isn't necessarily the case. Taking Brazil as an example, most people who evade taxes are middle-class and up...they don't get caught and they don't go to jail and so they continue to find a way. There's even a phrase for how Brazilians are always looking to find a way to outwit the system and everyone else - 'the Brazilian way' (o jeitinho brasileiro) and, the way I see it, a lot of corruption stems from this. 

A recent high-profile case was that of soccer player Neymar, who was charged with tax evasion. Struggling for every buck? I don't think so. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

Nam

I'm on the road less traveled...

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

One of the "way more than others" group is Venezuela.