News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Scalia dead

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, February 13, 2016, 10:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Sandra Craft

I can't even imagine the size of the upheaval coming.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 13, 2016, 11:47:10 PM

Yep. Obama will want to appoint a liberal justice, but the Senate will not confirm this close to the election.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 14, 2016, 12:43:48 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 13, 2016, 11:47:10 PM

Yep. Obama will want to appoint a liberal justice, but the Senate will not confirm this close to the election.

I've read the Repub Senators have asked that replacing Scalia be put off entirely till after the election.  Do not believe that's how this works but that no longer seems to bother the GOP.
Sandy

Ecurb Noselrub

Obama said clearly that he will offer an appointment.  Let the games begin.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on February 14, 2016, 05:32:42 AM
Obama said clearly that he will offer an appointment.  Let the games begin.

There isn't a bucket of popcorn big enough for this.
Sandy

Firebird

Man, the guy's body is still warm and yet the political jockeying has already begun.  This is going to be a crazy time.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Firebird on February 14, 2016, 06:45:34 AM
Man, the guy's body is still warm and yet the political jockeying has already begun.  This is going to be a crazy time.

Tell me about it.  The political lines were drawn about 5 seconds after his body was found.

He died in his sleep in a resort ranch out in West Texas.  I know the area - it's quite remote - desert and mountains.  He was quail hunting, went to bed not feeling well, and never woke up.

Recusant

I admired the man's wit and intelligence, but little else.

"The Simply Breathtaking Consequences Of Justice Scalia's Death" | ThinkProgress

QuoteTwenty-four hours ago, Republicans were headed into what remains of the current Supreme Court term with a solid majority and a docket strewn with some of the most consequential cases in decades. Affirmative action, abortion, birth control, immigration, an effort to shift congressional power to Republicans — all of these issues are before the justices this term.

The issues remain before the Court, but the balance of power just changed.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Guardian85

Lets just hope the next one isn't quite as backwards thinking.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Sandra Craft

A suggestion I heard that's just a fantasy, but is making me happy: the GOP succeeds in putting off appointing a replacement till after the election, and Pres. Sanders or Clinton pushes Obama thru as the next SCJ.
Sandy

Tom62

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 15, 2016, 02:09:07 AM
A suggestion I heard that's just a fantasy, but is making me happy: the GOP succeeds in putting off appointing a replacement till after the election, and Pres. Sanders or Clinton pushes Obama thru as the next SCJ.

Good idea. Obama can then introduce sharia law in the USA ;)
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Yes yes yes yes yes!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tom62 on February 15, 2016, 04:57:38 AM

:snooty:
Sandy

Firebird

Quote from: Tom62 on February 15, 2016, 04:57:38 AM

Michelle would probably divorce him if he dared to go along with this :) I get the impression she can't wait to get out of there.
I've heard NJ Senator Cory Booker's name floated out there too.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"