News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Bluenose's upcoming UK adventure

Started by Bluenose, December 16, 2015, 06:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

OK, all you Pommie HAFers, be warned of an impending Aussie invasion by the aforementioned me. I'm arriving in the UK in mid May 2016 and departing mid July.  I am planning on spending the first 2 weeks or so in the London area, then I'll be touring around, visiting various friends and family and stuff. I would love to get to meet any of the HAF crew that would like a visit from a wayward colonial. I'm happy to meet individually, or a group get together, or indeed both of the above. I'm looking to share tall tales and true, have a laugh (or twenty), maybe test you favourite local public house and/or restaurants or even a good fish and chippery or curry house if you know one. Suggestions of good things to see and do are most welcome.

If you can give me an approximate idea of your location it will help me plan a logical route around the country. Things i definitely want to visit are several of the museums in London (science, British & natural history) Grenwich, stonehenge, Portsmouth, the Fleet Air Arm museum at Yeovilton, and i don't know what else.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tank

I'm in Leeds, Yorkshire. Google the following
Royal Armouries
Fountains Abbey
Whitby
York

I'll add more ideas later.

Are you on your own?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bluenose

Yep, I'll be travelling alone, so I'm completely free to do what I want!  <grin>

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tank

I expect Claire will chip in with some iconic Yorkshire locations. If you get up to Leeds over the weekend we'll be able to get over to Manchester to see Crow and Claire if they're up for it.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Guardian85

If I can find gainful employment by then or somehow magically conjure up some coinage, I might pop over again if there is going to be a thing.
I did miss Claire last time, after all.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

OldGit

I hope you'll come and stay with us near Telford.  That's not a wonderful place to visit, but it's surrounded by places which are.  For example, Shrewsbury, Wroxeter, Ludlow, Ironbridge.

That's if our move goes OK.  If not, we'll still be near Hereford, which is a splendid town and surrounded by excellent places.  Either way, we'll be close to Wales.

Buddy

Well I know classes finish at the end of May and I will be finding employment soon so perhaps I can try to scrape up a plane ticket.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on December 16, 2015, 04:07:55 PM
Well I know classes finish at the end of May and I will be finding employment soon so perhaps I can try to scrape up a plane ticket.
You might be able to do London this time!

Claireliontamer

After my disaster last time, I'm not signing up to anything!

*whispers* However, if you do make it up North then hopefully I'll be able to join in.

Tank

Quote from: Claireliontamer on December 16, 2015, 07:26:55 PM
After my disaster last time, I'm not signing up to anything!

*whispers* However, if you do make it up North then hopefully I'll be able to join in.
Well this time we'll plan for when you know that you're in control of the day and come to you so there is no mix up.

Guardian85

And if your ex starts screwing things up again we'll go have a little "talk" with him...  ;D

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Bluenose

Great! I plan on catching up with all of you! Fun!  I'll start making more definite plans after xmas

Oh, and Claire, I will be going up north, so you don't know what you've let yourself in for!  ;)

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tank

Bluenose

Quote from: Tank on December 17, 2015, 08:06:17 AM
Will you have your own car?

I have not decided whether I'll hire a car or a small camper van. Either way I will be mobile.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Bluenose on December 17, 2015, 11:28:17 AM
Quote from: Tank on December 17, 2015, 08:06:17 AM
Will you have your own car?

I have not decided whether I'll hire a car or a small camper van. Either way I will be mobile.
The camper van would be great. You can get all around Scotland. It would be a brilliant way to see the country once you've done London.