News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Just Did It

Started by Waski_the_Squirrel, November 22, 2015, 02:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waski_the_Squirrel

I joined this forum not too long after realizing that I was an atheist. I have mentioned before that I might call myself a "social deist" because I attend a church: I really love the people there. Hopefully, this topic fits a "Happy Atheist" forum.

Today, on another forum, I got into a discussion of the extremist elements in Christianity. I got frustrated by the neverending posts that treated Muslims as a monolithic evil group. I just got done posting (and it took me over an hour to write and rewrite that post) a response to someone who questioned my faith. I admitted I'm not Christian any more. I'm sure I undermined my entire argument in the eyes of those on that forum since I'm now part of the "enemy" in their eyes. But, it will be a relief to be free of that group. (Hopefully, all of you, as a new forum, can fill that place in my life!)

I can't  help comparing them with my own church. I don't want to be too specific, but we held a funeral a few years ago for a man who was turned down by several local churches. We were roundly criticized for that, and I got some criticism directly to my face for it. Now, I was still a very devout believer then, but I felt that we did the right thing because the funeral is for the family, not for the deceased. I still believe that, and these are the kinds of people, religious or not, who I want to surround myself with.

On that forum, it came up that I was a hypocrite for attending this church and because, in the past, I have filled in the pulpit. I think I would still be able to do so, and probably will as long as I'm not asked to lie or deny my beliefs. There is a lot of good in the Bible that I could preach on. Honestly, the church doesn't have long to live. I'm the youngest member by 30+ years. Even among those who are not members, this is mostly true. We're down to 3 members and probably 10-15 people who attend overall. Unless something surprising happens, I think we'll be done in the next year or two. I know the people there, and health and old age are becoming serious concerns. I want to help these people to be able to continue meeting because they are good people and show the best of what Christianity is about. I'll never become a pastor, but it doesn't bother me to fill in the occasional Sunday so the pastor can have a break: we're so rural that the only alternative is no services.

I don't think I'm being hypocritical. I would prefer not to fill in, but I'll do it from love for this group of people. If someone better came along, I would prefer to step aside. Studying the Bible does interest me, and it's interesting to really deeply analyze a passage. But, my "heart" went out of it once I realized I was an atheist. Now it's just intellectual interest.

There is probably a question buried in there, but I have to change and head to work. I'm chaperoning a dance tonight. I would be curious about any comments, though I probably won't read them until tomorrow: I don't function well at night, and the dance will be done quite late.

jumbojak

I don't see any problem there. You like the people and want to see them through what will probably be their last rodeo. You are willing to step in to give one of them a chance to kick back every once in a while so long as you can be yourself (mostly) but would be happier if someone else did so instead. Heck, I wish I knew a group of people who were worth doing that for. Christian or not.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Recusant

Like any communities (online and otherwise), Christian forums exist in a spectrum. From your description it sounds as if that site leans toward a more right wing style of Christianity. Though the tendency of some on the left to defend Islam is something I find repugnant, the tendency on the right to paint Muslims as a monolithic bloc of menace is even worse, in my opinion. I honestly doubt whether bringing the more unsavory aspects of Christianity into such a discussion is a productive approach, but I think I've done it before myself. ;)

As for the rest, you have your own good reasons for doing what you do with your local church, so I agree that you should just ignore the folks bleating about you being a hypocrite. Carry on.  8)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Waski_the_Squirrel

Quote from: Recusant on November 22, 2015, 04:35:19 AM
Like any communities (online and otherwise), Christian forums exist in a spectrum. From your description it sounds as if that site leans toward a more right wing style of Christianity. Though the tendency of some on the left to defend Islam is something I find repugnant, the tendency on the right to paint Muslims as a monolithic bloc of menace is even worse, in my opinion. I honestly doubt whether bringing the more unsavory aspects of Christianity into such a discussion is a productive approach, but I think I've done it before myself. ;)

True. I should not have gone that route. I should have realized (while going the other route) that minds were closed.

Yes, it is a right-wing forum, and I used to fit in. Unlike my church, I don't have an emotional connection to that forum. The majority of the people I did like there have disappeared. Maybe I should take this as a wake-up call.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Waski_the_Squirrel on November 22, 2015, 07:57:55 AMYes, it is a right-wing forum, and I used to fit in.

If you no longer fit in, are you looking for a fight when you go to such forums, Waski?  :P  ;)

I post on a Catholic forum occasionally and in my opinion such forums are groupthink cesspools for people to speak to like-minded individuals and further validate their own views. On that forum, people (who are believers) are instantly regarded as non-Catholic if anything they say diverges even in the slightest from official doctrine. This is rather frustrating for someone who is tolerant of worldviews to see, but for some reason I like to stress myself out a bit every now and then.  ::)

You, especially as an outsider, are not going to change their thoughts, especially since you can't speak logically to someone who is thinking on an emotional level.

QuoteI don't think I'm being hypocritical. I would prefer not to fill in, but I'll do it from love for this group of people. If someone better came along, I would prefer to step aside. Studying the Bible does interest me, and it's interesting to really deeply analyze a passage. But, my "heart" went out of it once I realized I was an atheist. Now it's just intellectual interest.

If you don't feel like you're being hypocritical then what other people think shouldn't matter. You have your reasons for doing it and if you feel that you're doing good then carry on.  :)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey