News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Good Films.

Started by Tank, October 17, 2015, 10:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

I was quite surprised at this one, Baby Driver. My wife picked it up cheap as it has Kevin Spacey in it. It's essentially an action film set to music. It has a really good music score and some excellent action.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

^ Haven't watched that one yet, but I've heard some good reviews.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bad Penny II

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is fun.
A bit down like Up was but fun.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on April 07, 2018, 01:44:10 PM
I was quite surprised at this one, Baby Driver. My wife picked it up cheap as it has Kevin Spacey in it. It's essentially an action film set to music. It has a really good music score and some excellent action.

Reading this showed me just how out of the loop I am when it comes to popular culture. I couldn't figure out why a movie starring Kevin Spacey would be cheap.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on April 08, 2018, 02:31:30 AM

Reading this showed me just how out of the loop I am when it comes to popular culture. I couldn't figure out why a movie starring Kevin Spacey would be cheap.

Because of him they canceled House of Cards!  :rant1:

Dave

It's an old one that I have just watched for, oh, the tenth time?

Branagh's version of Henry V. Here's the prologue - one of old Bill's best bits of writing and a masterful delivery by Derek Jacobi!

https://youtu.be/B5dI65LvbrE
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on April 10, 2018, 07:23:17 PM

Branagh's version of Henry V. Here's the prologue - one of old Bill's best bits of writing and a masterful delivery by Derek Jacobi!

:love:

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on April 10, 2018, 07:23:17 PM

Derek just gave me more than my daily share of goosebumps.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Essie Mae

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 08, 2018, 02:09:21 PM

Maybe this belongs in the unpopular opinion section but how does his private life impact on his acting? Especially already completed productions? I bet there are plenty of actors with secrets they'd rather keep who haven't been found out. Some of these investigations can take years which is punishment in itself and people have to put their lives on hold. Innocent until proven guilty? Bring back House of Cards.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Essie Mae on April 15, 2018, 05:25:18 PM

Maybe this belongs in the unpopular opinion section but how does his private life impact on his acting? Especially already completed productions? I bet there are plenty of actors with secrets they'd rather keep who haven't been found out. Some of these investigations can take years which is punishment in itself and people have to put their lives on hold. Innocent until proven guilty? Bring back House of Cards.

I think...and I'm just speculating here, I don't actually know... that the pubic backlash was probably severe enough to persuade the producers to discontinue the series, maybe not all bad publicity is good publicity.

Spacey, along with all A-list actors, are public figures. Maybe his starpower has dimmed a little after the scandal. Or maybe the producers themselves decided to cut the series due to their moral outrage...which I'd imagine would have to be rather extreme for someone to kill a cash cow like that.

I'm a little pissed off at this whole thing.  >:(

Dave

Which HoC? The original for me please.

Essie Mae

Watched the Cameron Mackintosh film of Les Miserables again. It was really slated by some critics, particularly for Anne Hathaway and Russell Crowe's singing, but that wasn't the point. It did what Victor Hugo intended IMO, namely to highlight social injustice. I thought Crowe expressed the tortured conflict of Javert as well as any other actor who has taken the part. Admittedly the sickly ending when an angelic Fontine  appeared to welcome Jean Valjean into heaven was a bit dreadful, but all in all, it was very very good. An there was a lot of serious eye candy to boot.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Dave on April 15, 2018, 05:48:37 PM

Francus Urquhart v Frank Underwood?

xSilverPhinx

There's another one?  :jumps:

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 15, 2018, 06:08:49 PM

There's another one?  :jumps:

Yeah, some Yankee attempt . . .