News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

China builds worlds largest radio telescope

Started by Siz, October 17, 2015, 07:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siz

http://www.techinsider.io/world-largest-radio-telescope-china-2015-10

Quote from: Tech InsiderThe 500-Meter Aperture Spherical Telescope (FAST) is being built in China. With a dish the size of 30 football fields, it will be the largest radio telescope in the world when it is completed in 2016. Its unique design will allow scientists to gather radio signals from tens of billions of light years away.

Not much detail given on this site, but then China's not really known for its sharing is it?! I wonder if we'll ever have access to any of the data...?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Magdalena

I hope they point this thing in the direction of the star that's emitting Extremely Unusual Light Patterns.  :)
http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=14078.0

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: Siz on October 17, 2015, 07:03:44 AM
http://www.techinsider.io/world-largest-radio-telescope-china-2015-10

Quote from: Tech InsiderThe 500-Meter Aperture Spherical Telescope (FAST) is being built in China. With a dish the size of 30 football fields, it will be the largest radio telescope in the world when it is completed in 2016. Its unique design will allow scientists to gather radio signals from tens of billions of light years away.

Not much detail given on this site, but then China's not really known for its sharing is it?! I wonder if we'll ever have access to any of the data...?
I'd be very surprised if they didn't start creating papers with the data.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Siz

No doubt. But full disclosure? It's military funded.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

OldGit

It's mostly pulling in the aliens' industrial secrets.  Soon you'll see them ripping off Whoople products such as the digital antenna preener.

Icarus

A link from that site, the Chinese radio telescope, has pictures of NASAs under ice vehicle. The thing crawls around under ice sheets and is intended to explore under the ice on Europa.  Speculation is that there may be living organisms there.  Will wonders never cease?

OldGit

Quote from: IcarusWill wonders never cease?

No, and the Chinese will never cease copying them.

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on October 18, 2015, 10:20:05 AM
Quote from: IcarusWill wonders never cease?

No, and the Chinese will never cease copying them.
You mean reclaiming their ideas like money?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

Certainly this will be larger than the single-dish radio telescope at Aricebo, but will it actually be more sensitive than the VLA or the VLBA? I'll try to find out.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

So far, my research tells me that the new Chinese radio telescope will not actually be more sensitive than the VLA.

From New Eyes on the Universe:

QuoteThe poor resolution of single-dish radio telescopes was their main limitation in the early days of radio astronomy. After all, it's of little use capturing cosmic radio emission if you can't tell what object is emitting the radiation. There is a way around this limitation, however. A single radio dish will inevitably have poor angular resolution compared to an optical telescope but by combining the signals from several widely separated dishes it's possible to achieve extremely high resolving power, since the resolving power of an interferometer depends upon the distance between the dishes rather than the size of the individual dishes themselves. For example, the Very Large Array (VLA) in Socorro, New Mexico, is an interferometer consisting of 27 antennae. Each antenna has a dish diameter of 25 m. The dishes are arranged along the three arms of a Y, with each arm consisting of a railway line that's 21 km long; the dishes can be moved to different points along the line. When the dishes are at their largest separation, and their signals are combined, the result in terms of resolving power is equivalent to having a single dish that's 36 km wide.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Insoluble

We may get a square kilometre array. :D
I don't know if it will actually be built. :-\
If not why settle for a measly kilometre?  ???
May as well make it 100km. ;)
If we're not going to make it. ::)

I'm happy, hope you're happy too