News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

JK Rowling Regrets Ron and Hermione

Started by Pasta Chick, February 03, 2014, 04:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pasta Chick

QuoteJ.K. Rowling says she regrets pairing Ron and Hermione in the Harry Potter books. In an interview to be published in Wonderland and excerpted in the U.K.'s Sunday Times, she said, "I wrote the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfillment. That's how it was conceived, really. For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione ended up with Ron." Rowling added, "I know, I'm sorry. I can hear the rage and fury it might cause some fans, but if I'm absolutely honest, distance has given me perspective on that. It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility. Am I breaking people's hearts by saying this? I hope not."

From NPR.  Full article doesn't say anything more on the subject, I just like posting sources.

I don't like it, personally.  One of the things I had liked about the story was that it allowed a heroine who was not a love-interest of the main character.  It's different, and more interesting for it.

I will say I was never crazy about pairing Hermione and Ron, but I absolutely never thought Hermione should be with Harry.  At times I suspected it, simply because that's what usually happens, but I never thought it would make sense.