News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Started by Huxley, July 23, 2006, 10:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imrational

Quote from: "onlyme"Also, atheists in my opinion always seem to focus on what they see as the bad things regarding the bible and Christian faith.  There are equally many good things that we are taught and encouraged to follow in the bible.  I'm not saying we should just take the good and reject the bad, I'm saying that for some things, we will have to wait for an explanation...
All right, I think everyone will agree that there are some good things in the bible.  But you admit in your post that there is bad as well.  

Okay, how do you choose between the two?  When God tells you in the bible that you should stone your children to death if they try to turn you from God... do you ignore that?  Why?  If God is the source of your morality (your sense of good and evil), then how do you attribute some of his laws as good and some bad?  Aren't you in fact, judging god when you do so?

Quotejust as some of you on this forum have said regarding science explaining creation, etc, that just because science doesn't have the answers now, maybe it will one day.

Well, I also say that (Christians) will have to wait for a fuller understanding on some things one day.  Remember that my viewpoint is equally as valid as yours in light of this.

Well, there is a fundamental difference between science and religion in your point.  Your religion is revealed to you by the bible.  Everything you know about God comes from that book.  You will not have anything else revealed to you unless we have the end of times.

Science, on the other hand, is still writing its book.  As we learn more and more... the book keeps growing and changing.

Asmodean Prime

Well, and I'm trying to be cautious here, I think in some ways, the NT supercedes the OT.  Take for example where Jesus quoted the OT about hating your enemies, and then said 'but I tell you, that you must love your enemies."

I think that the NT teachings of Jesus are a 'better word', though I admit I'm still trying in a lot of ways to figure out where the OT ends and the NT begins, in regard to the teachings of morality, law, obedience, etc.

I don't know some of the answers to your questions, but I'm still learnig, and keeping an open mind, and hoping that things will be clarified in the future.  This is not the same as closing your mind to it altogether, though, as atheists seem to have done.

Asmodean Prime

Hey, Gringo...(or maybe not)..

ANDALAY, ANDALAY,   AREEPA, AREEPA!!

A week without water...ha ha.....

Or, as Clint Eastwood would say...

There are only two kinds of people in this world, my friend....those who can count, and those who can't

imrational

Well, I can see your point.  There are a lot of closed minded people on both sides of the fence (atheists and theists).

Big Mac

Quote from: "onlyme"Hey, Gringo...(or maybe not)..

ANDALAY, ANDALAY,   AREEPA, AREEPA!!

A week without water...ha ha.....

Or, as Clint Eastwood would say...

There are only two kinds of people in this world, my friend....those who can count, and those who can't

Did you learn that from the people you mugged?
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

MommaSquid

Quote from: "Big Mac"Did you learn that from the people you mugged?

Can't.....breathe.....laughing.......so.......hard!!!!    :lol:

MommaSquid

Quote from: "imrational"I would love to do a series about how christianity has evolved over the centuries and incorporated other myths and legends along the way...

That would be very interesting.  Can we have a pre-release screening?

(And don't take my criticism too seriously.  It's not like I can do better.)

Quote from: "imrational"I haven't watched much television over the last 12 or so years...
:shock:

Big Mac

Well I doubt it could be Snakes on a Plane! Though it'd give it a run for its money on Special Olympic Gold!

imrational

Quote from: "onlyme"Well, and I'm trying to be cautious here, I think in some ways, the NT supercedes the OT.  Take for example where Jesus quoted the OT about hating your enemies, and then said 'but I tell you, that you must love your enemies."

I think that the NT teachings of Jesus are a 'better word', though I admit I'm still trying in a lot of ways to figure out where the OT ends and the NT begins, in regard to the teachings of morality, law, obedience, etc.

So why would Jesus want to change God's previous laws?  That makes it sound as if God's concepts of right & wrong changed over the years, doesn't it?

imrational

Quote from: "MommaSquid"
Quote from: "imrational"I would love to do a series about how christianity has evolved over the centuries and incorporated other myths and legends along the way...

Well, I would love to do a series on that... but I wouldn't know where to begin.  It would require a ton of research and be very hard to convey in 10 minute blocks (10 minute vids are all that youtube allows).

Don't sweat criticizing the vids... I'm serious.  Criticism is far more valuable than a simple "Attaboy" or "good job".  How else can you gauge what people want or appreciate?  I'm learning as I go with these and if people just tell you what you want to here, I won't learn much.

For what it's worth, you weren't saying anything new.  A couple of friends told me that I could have easily chopped out 30-45 seconds of material and greatly improved the vid.

Quote from: "imrational"I haven't watched much television over the last 12 or so years...
:shock:[/quote]
Yeah, I didn't own a modern computer in twenty years either.  I bought a powerbook last year.  Before that, my last computer couldn't run windows (it was DOS based).  I'm definitely not anti-technology... there were just other toys/adventures I wanted to do instead.

I have to admit though, that not watching much TV for over a decade has caused me some awkwardness lately.  I sometimes feel a little alienated from society (and not just from the atheism either).  People will talk about "so & so" celebrity or show and I won't have a clue.  They'll ask my opinion, or I'll ask what they're talking about and they give me weird looks and ask if I've been living in a cave for the past few years.

On the other hand, I seem more abreast on science, world news, literature, etc.  So I guess it's an even trade-off.

Asmodean Prime

Quote from: "MommaSquid"

:shock:

Glad you can sometimes laugh WITH me, mommasquid.

Or are you laughing AT me?

I'VE GOT A GUN....AND I'M NOT AFRAID TO USE IT!

Asmodean Prime

Sorry, Bigmac, I meant to say,

As Clint Eastwood would say,

There are only THREE kinds of people in this world, my friend....those who can count, and those who can't.

It was my mistake, as big as the one bigmac made regarding a week in the desert....you distracted me, Ok, Bigmac?   You stole my thunder.  I was criticising you for your mistake, when I made one of my own.

I hate being wrong

Big Mac

Quote from: "onlyme"Sorry, Bigmac, I meant to say,

As Clint Eastwood would say,

There are only THREE kinds of people in this world, my friend....those who can count, and those who can't.

It was my mistake, as big as the one bigmac made regarding a week in the desert....you distracted me, Ok, Bigmac?   You stole my thunder.  I was criticising you for your mistake, when I made one of my own.

The only mistake I made was the wording. The point still stands true. You, nor anyone, can survive a week in the desert without water. You would shrivel up to bare skin, bones, and whatever is left of your once water-ladened muscles and fats. Mommasquid and the others who currently reside in Arizona can attest to this fact. When I visit my Grandma in Juarez (which is directly south of El Paso in the Desert) I used to crack up real bad from the lack of humidity. My skin had become so accustomed to the humid coastal region that being in the desert would hurt my skin. Of course that has passed but imagine going a week without hydration. It's not feasible.

Quote from: "onlyme"I hate being wrong

Wow then you must be drowning in self-hate!

imrational

Another question.  Okay, so Moses goes to the Pharaoh and demands the release of the Israelites.  He then poisons the river, killing all the fish. The court magicians duplicate the feat, showing that the "miracle" might not be divinely inspired.  

So why didn't the Pharaoh just kill Moses then and there?!?  I mean, the guy poisoned the local water supply!  If the pharaoh was so blood-thirsty as to kill all the Hebrew babies... why hesitate on killing a couple of guys?

Also, why didn't God intervene  when the Pharaoh was killing off all the Hebrew babies?  Wouldn't a series of plagues that hit right during the murder spree be better evidence of divine judgement?

Whitney

Quote from: "Big Mac"You, nor anyone, can survive a week in the desert without water.

This thing by the army describes necessary water amounts in desert conditions and also explains how much water would be lost per day:

Army Desert Survival