News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Getting started...

Started by MichelleM, August 05, 2012, 03:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichelleM

This forum could be the one for me. I have been an atheist for a long time now...I don't remember deciding one day that to become an atheist (no visions, lights from the heavens or angels required) but it was a gradual thing that happened over a long period of time. The more I learn and experience the more it seemed right to be a non-believer....religion just adds an unnecessary complication to my life that I don't need.
I have recently however, come to the realisation that I choose to be with other atheists and freethinkers and find it increasingly difficult to interact with believers. When someone says "god bless you" or that they will pray for me, the hair on the back of my neck prickles and I have to stop myself from replying sarcastically. I don't censor myself in my private life but at work, where I am a councillor, I have to respect my clients and their beliefs. It is not my job to impose my own reality on my clients nor is it beneficial for them, at a time of crisis, to be questioning their beliefs but I know that if they could leave the hang-ups of their beliefs behind them they would be so much better able to deal anything.
This dilemma has brought me to this forum. I am hoping that by listening to how others deal with life as an atheist in a positive way, I will be able to stop thinking of theists as idiots...

Sandra Craft

Quote from: MichelleM on August 05, 2012, 03:26:50 AM
The more I learn and experience the more it seemed right to be a non-believer....religion just adds an unnecessary complication to my life that I don't need.

That was pretty much my experience too.

QuoteThis dilemma has brought me to this forum. I am hoping that by listening to how others deal with life as an atheist in a positive way, I will be able to stop thinking of theists as idiots...

I think in my case it just took time and a determination to have a generous attitude (still a work in progress) -- and being related to and friends with many theists who are demonstrably not idiots.  I'm not sure supernatural beliefs will ever make sense to me, but I can see where they're useful to others and as long as no one tries to legislate them, I'm fine with it. 

Frankly, I find being told "god bless you" or "I'll pray for you" sweet.  But everyones milage varies.  Welcome!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

The Magic Pudding

Gweetings.

Quote from: MichelleM on August 05, 2012, 03:26:50 AMI am hoping that by listening to how others deal with life as an atheist in a positive way, I will be able to stop thinking of theists as idiots...

I'm often considered an atheist idiot and perhaps by experiencing atheist idiocy your perspective will become more balanced.  :)

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, MichelleM. Whether or not any of the conversations here actually help you stop thinking of religious folks as idiots, perhaps this place will at least be somewhere that you'll be able to freely discuss what it is that leads you to think that way.

QuoteNotes for new members from Tank:

The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

markmcdaniel

Your story will sound familiar to many of the other members of this forum. Welcome to HAF.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Tank

This forum could be the one for me. I have been an atheist for a long time now...I don't remember deciding one day that to become an atheist (no visions, lights from the heavens or angels required) but it was a gradual thing that happened over a long period of time. The more I learn and experience the more it seemed right to be a non-believer....religion just adds an unnecessary complication to my life that I don't need.
I have recently however, come to the realisation that I choose to be with other atheists and freethinkers and find it increasingly difficult to interact with believers. When someone says "god bless you" or that they will pray for me, the hair on the back of my neck prickles and I have to stop myself from replying sarcastically. I don't censor myself in my private life but at work, where I am a councillor, I have to respect my clients and their beliefs. It is not my job to impose my own reality on my clients nor is it beneficial for them, at a time of crisis, to be questioning their beliefs but I know that if they could leave the hang-ups of their beliefs behind them they would be so much better able to deal anything.
This dilemma has brought me to this forum. I am hoping that by listening to how others deal with life as an atheist in a positive way, I will be able to stop thinking of theists as idiots...

Hello Michelle

I'll be brutally honest, if my experiences are anything to go by, you won't be able to stop thinking of theists as idiots and it gets worse as one goes on. But; and it's a big BUT! There is the sin of omission and the sin of commission. The 'God bless you' comment is a sin of omission in that the person simply knows no better or considers what they are doing is right. Then there is the sin of commission where the theist is actively engaging with the dogma of their particular Institutionalised Superstition (aka Religion) and promoting that dogma to the physical or psychological detriment of others e.g. standing against gay marriage.

However there is a third group, the thinking theist who is considerate and accepting of others and their world view. Why don't we see more of them? Because I think they keep their opinions to themselves for the most part. Thus the ignorant, bigoted and stupid become the 'poster boys' for theism. And judging the behaviour of all on the basis of the highly-verbal, agenda driven minority is what I think we as atheists need to guard against.

Welcome to HAF, may your discussions be many and fruitful  ;D

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

OldGit

^^ Mostly what Tank said.  The reasonable theists tend not to make a lot of noise, so the ones who draw attention to themselves are often the idiots.

Myself, I try to be charitable and think of theists as having an unfortunate mental affliction, which I must pity rather than mock or hate.

BTW welcome, join in and have fun.

En_Route

I would be interested to hear why you are an atheist, apart from it representing an in an unnecessary complication in your life.
The term idiot is shorthand for somebody with low intelligence, but as of course you will know, there are multiple forms of intelligence. There are plenty of theists who are distinguished in their own fields of endeavour so to impose a blanket categorisation of stupidity on the whole tribe seems hard to justify. I also wonder as a councillor whether you think such black- and- white / us-and- them thinking is something you would encourage in your clients?
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Amicale

Welcome to HAF, Michelle. :) The best way I know of to make sure I don't think theists are idiots simply because they're theists is to...
1. Realize I'm perfectly capable of idiocy too, as is anyone else, from time to time  :D
2. Befriend, get to know, and love people for being who they are. Once that happens, you understand where their heart is, and even if they've got different ideas, you can shrug it off as a quirk that makes them who they are.

Hope you enjoy the forums!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

MichelleM

Quote from: En_Route on August 05, 2012, 12:14:30 PM
I would be interested to hear why you are an atheist, apart from it representing an in an unnecessary complication in your life.
I am an atheist because the scientific evidence suggests that we are here, not because a deity put us here but because of an amazing sequence of events. I love the idea that I am made of star dust and bits of me have been around since the big bang. But most importantly, I enjoy being able to accept each new scientific discovery on the evidence alone, without having to justify it within the boundaries of an ancient script. Although my family is not particularly religious, I did have a religious education and wanted to be a nun at 10 yrs., however I rejected religion in my teens mainly because it was boring. As an adult I have married a strident atheist and study and work in a university so I have surrounded myself with freethinkers. I am constantly having my beliefs and values questioned but this has also given me a distorted perception of reality and I find myself asking "why can't everyone think the way I do?'

MichelleM

Quote from: En_Route on August 05, 2012, 12:14:30 PM
The term idiot is shorthand for somebody with low intelligence, but as of course you will know, there are multiple forms of intelligence. There are plenty of theists who are distinguished in their own fields of endeavour so to impose a blanket categorisation of stupidity on the whole tribe seems hard to justify. I also wonder as a councillor whether you think such black- and- white / us-and- them thinking is something you would encourage in your clients?

May be idiot is a bit harsh! But I do find it increasingly hard to understand how something which is so obviously not true, is accepted by intelligent people, and this makes me feel like they are different to me because I have to censor what I say. I can accept this as part of everyday personal interaction but I can't let it interferes with my ability to be an effective counsellor.  I know that people can find peace and strength in their faith and that there is no black and white to any issue, the resolution usually lies in the grey areas, but sometimes religion only complicating the issue.

MichelleM

Quote from: Amicale on August 05, 2012, 09:45:25 PM
1. Realize I'm perfectly capable of idiocy too, as is anyone else, from time to time  :D
2. Befriend, get to know, and love people for being who they are. Once that happens, you understand where their heart is, and even if they've got different ideas, you can shrug it off as a quirk that makes them who they are.

Thanks, I know I don't have to and can't change the world and I can accept other for who they are, probably more than most theists.  I know some wonderful people who are religious and I can accept and respect them until religion interferes with their happiness and well-being.

MichelleM

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on August 05, 2012, 04:23:50 AM
Frankly, I find being told "god bless you" or "I'll pray for you" sweet. 

But not in a condescending way  ;D

MichelleM

Quote from: Tank on August 05, 2012, 08:07:33 AM
There is the sin of omission and the sin of commission. The 'God bless you' comment is a sin of omission in that the person simply knows no better or considers what they are doing is right. Then there is the sin of commission where the theist is actively engaging with the dogma of their particular Institutionalised Superstition (aka Religion) and promoting that dogma to the physical or psychological detriment of others e.g. standing against gay marriage.

However there is a third group, the thinking theist who is considerate and accepting of others and their world view. Why don't we see more of them? Because I think they keep their opinions to themselves for the most part. Thus the ignorant, bigoted and stupid become the 'poster boys' for theism. And judging the behaviour of all on the basis of the highly-verbal, agenda driven minority is what I think we as atheists need to guard against.

So the trick is to know when shout it out loud and when to shut up and let it be...