News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

High school swingers

Started by Icarus, August 01, 2012, 11:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

The term swinger did not always imply the recently current implication of sexual promiscuity. Old folks thought swing was a certain type of energetic music. Here is an example that is truly unique in that it is American music done with astounding competance by Japanese high school girls. http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=L7N6slVrQeY&vq=medium

Ecurb Noselrub

The Japanese are good at copying things. I want to believe they are actually performing - hope they just aren't "swing-syncing."

Sandra Craft

Now that is dancing music.  I'm going to have to look up that movie.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Firebird

The japanese really dig jazz music, which I always found interesting. My impression of their culture was always more regimented than something as free-form as jazz. Shows how little I know. Though I always prefer the Benny Goodman version of "Sing Sing Sing". Just doesn't sound right without the clarinet.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

markmcdaniel

This is about the only form of Jazz that I like. Its interesting that the Japanese have taken to it.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Quote from: Ecurb NoselrubThe Japanese are good at copying things. I want to believe they are actually performing - hope they just aren't "swing-syncing."

I get that feeling, too.  Mechanically brilliant, I'd like to think there was more to it than technical excellence.

Crow

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 02, 2012, 12:14:13 AM
The Japanese are good at copying things. I want to believe they are actually performing - hope they just aren't "swing-syncing."

I think they are as it's part of a TV series and it sounds like a recording rather than a live performance. But regardless the music is good and the original is by Benny Goodman if people wanted to know.

This is Japanese Jazz, it has a high bebop influence mixed with free form and very very fast unlike a lot of American and European jazz.
Retired member.

Crow

By any chance does anyone know what the swing samples are in this track? I know most the ones from the 1960's onwards, but they are mainly from where the drum lines come from and the vocal samples.
Retired member.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Crow on August 02, 2012, 02:10:08 PM
I think they are as it's part of a TV series and it sounds like a recording rather than a live performance.

I thought it was from this movie: Swing Girls.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Crow

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on August 03, 2012, 06:20:24 AM
Quote from: Crow on August 02, 2012, 02:10:08 PM
I think they are as it's part of a TV series and it sounds like a recording rather than a live performance.

I thought it was from this movie: Swing Girls.

So it is! I was also wrong about the original being by Benny Goodman, it was actually by Louis Prima back in 1936 but was made famous by Benn Goodman.
Retired member.

Ali

Am I the only one who clicked on this thread hoping for some titilating gossip about what kinds of perversion kids these days are getting into?

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on August 03, 2012, 08:51:41 PM
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread hoping for some titilating gossip about what kinds of perversion kids these days are getting into?

Are there any new ones  left to be discovered?
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Crow

Quote from: En_Route on August 03, 2012, 10:27:07 PM

Nah just the old forgotten good ones being rediscovered.
Retired member.

En_Route

Quote from: Crow on August 03, 2012, 11:03:13 PM
Quote from: En_Route on August 03, 2012, 10:27:07 PM

Nah just the old forgotten good ones being rediscovered.

Good to hear. I wouldn't like to have missed out.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).