News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Why I hate the Hisory Channel.

Started by jumbojak, July 28, 2012, 05:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markmcdaniel

Quote from: fester30 on August 02, 2012, 09:07:27 PM
There are people who also believe we didn't land on the moon.  There are people in this forum that believe, despite lack of any actual evidence, that someone other than Lee Harvey Oswald killed JFK.  There are people in this world that believe aliens visited this planet in this 14 billion year old universe 14 TRILLION years ago.  Doesn't surprise me at all that there are people who believe in wild ideas in the face of evidence to the contrary.  In many of these cases, when presented with overwhelming evidence disproving their claims, or when called out on lack of evidence supporting their claims, they will simply say it's because the government is covering it up.  The only part of all this that irks me is that the HISTORY channel has thrown away their integrity as a presenter of history in favor of improved ratings.  Reminds me of when MTV stopped showing music videos in favor of reality TV.
Unfortunately all of the repeats that these shows under go gives them a semblance of creditability. The sheer repetition of these shows becomes a form of indoctrination. 
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

markmcdaniel

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 07, 2012, 09:34:28 AM
Quote from: Genericguy on August 07, 2012, 08:07:50 AM
Right now, I'm watching a show on the discovery channel about mermaids that "existed" one million years ago.

Why do you do this to yourself? :D
Masochism would be my guess.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

markmcdaniel

Quote from: Genericguy on August 07, 2012, 06:51:58 PM
Wow! This was apparently taken on a old flip phone. The zoom is incredible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqleRxEDwrg&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Unfortunately, as frightening as the existence of this video is the comments about the video are even worse.