News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Hello! :)

Started by redshift, July 23, 2012, 01:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redshift

Nice to find a forum like this.  I hope to find helpful strategies for remaining calm and composed when in the presence of religious stupidity.  There are some very good people who are still bound to their religious beliefs and I have to find a way to accept this fact without the urge to confront and challenge their ideas "for their own good", really.
I feel that their form of religious belief is a form of suffering.  I neither feel superior to their ideas nor to them personally and I need to find a way to not intervene with their choices.  It is probably like dealing with an alcoholic.  I have seen human beings in that condition, when it is full-blown, lying in the streets.  And it was very difficult to continue walking on to my job without being affected by that sight.
It is not my role to "save the world" from false belief.  I just need to find a way to maintain my focus and leave others to their own choices however disasterous I may perceive their choices to be.

OldGit

I think this is just the place for you, redshift.  Welcome.

QuoteIt is not my role to "save the world" from false belief.  I just need to find a way to maintain my focus and leave others to their own choices however disasterous I may perceive their choices to be.

Many here will agree with that.

Amicale

Redshift, welcome to HAF. :) Glad to meet you.

Like you and many others, I'm not out to evangelize/save the world from religion (or much else) either. I have a pretty live-and-let-live philosophy.

Anyhow, you're among friends here. See you around!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Recusant

Hello and welcome to HAF, redshift. Personally I'm not aware of any fool-proof strategies "for remaining calm and composed when in the presence of religious stupidity." However, it's possible that having a place to discuss the more egregious aspects of religious behavior may be helpful. Also, other members here are likely to prove to be more resourceful in the realm of strategies than I am.

QuoteNotes for new members from Tank:

The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

I hope you enjoy your time reading and posting here!
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Hi redshift

I find keeping calm in front of some theists very difficult indeed, so I wouldn't use me as an example  ;D

Welcome to HAF!

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Wellcome

Unlike many here I am endeavouring to stop people from believing in gods, and dogs too, nasty yappy little things.  I've tried the classics, the rack, bamboo under fingernails and public burning but with little success.  I'll try reversing their tax advantages next.