News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

My Atheist Perspective

Started by Hector Valdez, June 03, 2012, 12:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Black Jester

Exceptionally lucid, incisive and eloquent.  And a nice use of Plato's Cave into the bargain.  Well done, RR. 

Quote from: RenegeReversi on June 03, 2012, 12:20:28 AM
It is almost as if the vibrancy of the Catholic church depends upon the cultural dissonance generated by forcing Catholic tradition onto new cultures!

This is a particularly piquant observation, and I wonder if a similar phenomenon operates among most proselytizing religions.  I wonder whether, without such dissonance, religions could even survive.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: The Black Jester on June 24, 2012, 04:58:40 PM
Exceptionally lucid, incisive and eloquent.  And a nice use of Plato's Cave into the bargain.  Well done, RR. 

Quote from: RenegeReversi on June 03, 2012, 12:20:28 AM
It is almost as if the vibrancy of the Catholic church depends upon the cultural dissonance generated by forcing Catholic tradition onto new cultures!

This is a particularly piquant observation, and I wonder if a similar phenomenon operates among most proselytizing religions.  I wonder whether, without such dissonance, religions could even survive.

I don't know either but it certainly helps their in-group feeling of status. It's too easy for people to twist things to make it seems as if whatever dissonance out-group others feel is because they value the in-group traits. It's one of the things that gets many people to want to martyr themselves for some religious or tribal cause. Cults use this tactic a lot.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey