News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

War on Religion

Started by Happy_Is_Good, May 20, 2012, 03:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Classifying oneself as the victim of a 'War' allows retaliation. In the case of theists it allows/facilitates the focussing of resources and effort in the consolidation of their dogmatic positions.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Firebird

Quote from: Tank on May 20, 2012, 08:28:17 PM
Classifying oneself as the victim of a 'War' allows retaliation. In the case of theists it allows/facilitates the focussing of resources and effort in the consolidation of their dogmatic positions.

So true
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

cgmccall

I always think of Atheism as a step away from a kind of primitive, emotional thinking that requires no accountability. Religion is one product of that kind if thinking; so is war.
Still, while religion is never necessary, war sometimes can be. I don't like the idea of fighting anyone, but if they try to teach kids that evolution is a lie, or homosexual partners shouldn't be able to see each other in the hospital...hand me my spear.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: cgmccall on May 20, 2012, 09:34:06 PM
I always think of Atheism as a step away from a kind of primitive, emotional thinking that requires no accountability. Religion is one product of that kind if thinking; so is war.
Still, while religion is never necessary, war sometimes can be. I don't like the idea of fighting anyone, but if they try to teach kids that evolution is a lie, or homosexual partners shouldn't be able to see each other in the hospital...hand me my spear.

War is a means to an end, war just for the sake of it makes no sense whatsoever, a drain and is simply imbecilic. Costs are incredibly high and in the end of it all, all sides will generally wish they had never taken part in it.

But sometimes it is necessary, and even though the word 'war' has become rather over-used and thrown around so easily, I still think that calling the new atheist movement an ideology war is appropriate.

(I'm not a war-mongerer, I'm just saying. IMO it's the weakest who feel they need to resort to strength as their means...)

Quote from: Tank on May 20, 2012, 08:28:17 PM

Not to mention when there's a threat (real or imagined) in the horizon, people usually group into their flocks more readily and are even more manageable, not to mention a better lobbying force. Terror Managment.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

BonaireBound

Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 20, 2012, 04:27:13 AM
I don't respect anyone who's religious. I just can't do it... :\

It really makes me seriously question their intelligence.

Totaly agree

BonaireBound

Okay, maybe "war" is too strong a word, but lately I am definitely of the opinion that atheists need to push back. Call it a movement or a campaign, or whatever but I really think we all need to come out of the closet and be heard. I am sick of religion, which if you dare to even ask it to defend it's position, you are being "disrespectful" (see The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins). I am sick even remotely entertaining the possibility that "intelligent design" or creationism could be taught in our schools as "alternative theories". This is utter nonsense and is wasting our collective time as humans that could be spent moving on to the next discoveries. I know I am repeating myself here, because I also posted this in another thread, but Neil deGrasse Tyson says it better than I can: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti3mtDC2fQo&list=PLF3520A1942B13832&index=1&feature=plpp_video . An important point he makes in this video is the appallingly stifling affect religion has (and has always had) on our progress as a species. There is so much suffering in the world that probably could have been alleviated thousands of years ago if it weren't for the quagmire of religion (or as Neil puts it, the philosophy of ignorance) holding us back. The ongoing harm this is doing is immeasurable and that is why I don't think it's okay to say "well, if they want to believe that, then what's the harm?"

Buddy

I'm going to play the devil's advocate and just say that I don't see the point of a "war on religion." This may just be the passive side of me speaking. In my opinion, it is words like these that are the reason that religious people hate us. They see all atheists as people who want to do away with their religion and force them to not believe. Of course that is impossible, but I think that saying things like this is just like the religious trying to force their beliefs on us. It is just not fair. I say, if they are not hurting anyone, leave them be.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 21, 2012, 03:28:42 AMIn my opinion, it is words like these that are the reason that religious people hat us.

Well I for one am thankful that the religious hat us. 
Oh of course you can steal hats from secular targets but the religious do have a talent for providing truly bizarre examples of the millinery art.

Buddy

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 21, 2012, 03:47:12 AM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 21, 2012, 03:28:42 AMIn my opinion, it is words like these that are the reason that religious people hat us.

Well I for one am thankful that the religious hat us. 
Oh of course you can steal hats from secular targets but the religious do have a talent for providing truly bizarre examples of the millinery art.

Crap! Another typo. Oh well, at least it was amusing.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 21, 2012, 03:28:42 AM
I'm going to play the devil's advocate and just say that I don't see the point of a "war on religion." This may just be the passive side of me speaking. In my opinion, it is words like these that are the reason that religious people hate us. They see all atheists as people who want to do away with their religion and force them to not believe. Of course that is impossible, but I think that saying things like this is just like the religious trying to force their beliefs on us. It is just not fair. I say, if they are not hurting anyone, leave them be.

Umm....

Yes, they are hurting 'anyone' or does being gay and having smeone tell you you're disgusting, or an abomination because the bible says. Protesting a homosexual's funeral. Or their rights as human beings to marry the ones they love.

What about religious parents disowning their children? Or  even killing them (or causing them suicide)because they accept their orientation?

Let's not even begin with homosexality in the middle east ....

So, yeah... Religion is so innocent.  Let's let it be. Let's let it keep controlling our laws, while  it spreads hatred and ignorance.   :( :(
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Buddy

Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 21, 2012, 04:40:24 AM

Umm....

Yes, they are hurting 'anyone' or does being gay and having smeone tell you you're disgusting, or an abomination because the bible says. Protesting a homosexual's funeral. Or their rights as human beings to marry the ones they love.

What about religious parents disowning their children? Or  even killing them (or causing them suicide)because they accept their orientation?

Let's not even begin with homosexality in the middle east ....

So, yeah... Religion is so innocent.  Let's let it be. Let's let it keep controlling our laws, while  it spreads hatred and ignorance.   :( :(

Yes, I do agree that the intolerance needs to stop. But honestly, declaring war on religion is going to do nothing more than pissing off the theists. It we really want to stop the intolerance and hatred, we need to start with the younger generation. Most older people that I have met have been believing all of their lives and they are set in their ways and will not change. Buy reaching out to youth how important it is to be tolerant of religions, sexual orientations, gender, etc. we can do a lot of good. I just don't think that "declaring war" on a group that already hates us enough is going to solve anything.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 21, 2012, 04:49:26 AM
If we really want to stop the intolerance and hatred, we need to start with the younger generation.

I'm impressed, Budhorse. ;D

(Totally agree, BTW)

Though an old dog can learn new tricks, you do have a point there, it's much more difficult for older people to accept a totally new paradigm. They have their whole lives invested in their beliefs...and some can get rather stubborn ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Amicale

Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 20, 2012, 01:14:41 PM
It would be nice to have a,lunch in te park without religion shoved in your face.

Especially taking public trains/buses. I should be allowed to have a nice day without hearing the stories of some dirty hippie 2000 years ago. How he someone died for us, yet the world is as evil as ever. And people just wont move the fuck on with their lives.

SD, is this how it is in NY? I guess I'm just a little surprised. Friends who live there say that they can go through their day very easily there without seeing any reference to religion. Maybe it's just the fields they work in, or the areas they live in... I dunno. Although I did laugh at the "dirty hippie" comment.  :D What have you got against hippies?  ;D

As for the 'war on religion', I don't want a 'war' on anyone, even if it's just an intellectual one. I don't want to deny anyone their right to believe in their faith, and I don't even really want to argue them into abandoning their beliefs and becoming atheists. I don't want them to deny my rights or try to convert me, so I wouldn't do the same to them.

I'd prefer to have reasonable, level-headed conversations with them. I'd prefer to fight for our right to teach our kids actual science in schools. I'd prefer to continue to fight for the separation of church and state in a way that doesn't attack the people who attend the churches, if possible. I believe in attacking arguments, but not those who hold them.

Really, in a perfect world, we'd all just leave each other be. But failing that, I agree with the others who said that using humor to get our points across is a good idea. It gets us further than angry screaming does, anyhow. ;) Aside from humor, we can just be the best possible people we can be, and start breaking down the stereotypes people have about us.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Stevil

Quote from: BonaireBound on May 21, 2012, 03:21:05 AM
Okay, maybe "war" is too strong a word, but lately I am definitely of the opinion that atheists need to push back. Call it a movement or a campaign, or whatever but I really think we all need to come out of the closet and be heard.

Well, I agree to a point.

No-one should have to endure discrimination based on religious belief.

Atheists should not have to be forced to pray or swear on the bible.
We should not have to pledge allegiance or an oath that includes god worship.
We should not have to give grace to gods for our food, or thanks for our efforts and achievements.

We should not simply shrug off when a person tells us we are going to hell, we should not shrug off when a person tells us they will pray for us. These things are disrespectful of us and our non beliefs.

We ought to stand up and be counted.
To stand up for each other, especially those being persecuted by religious organisations and beliefs.
We ought to demand anti discrimination across the board, in all parts of society, even in religious organisations.
We ought to demand churches to play their part and pay taxes towards the betterment of our society.
We ought to demand religious based rules not to impose on the non religious and hence not impact a compassionate end to a painful life, nor to inhibit medical progress such as stem cell research.

Amicale

Quote from: BonaireBound on May 21, 2012, 02:35:03 AM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 20, 2012, 04:27:13 AM
I don't respect anyone who's religious. I just can't do it... :\

It really makes me seriously question their intelligence.

Totaly agree

I respectfully disagree. I respect several people who are religious, just not specifically because they ARE religious. Their religion is only one aspect of their personality, and while I may disagree with them over it there's still generally plenty I can respect them deeply for.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan