News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

WTF is wrong with Arizona?

Started by Ali, March 29, 2012, 04:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

Okay, this is my last post, I swear:

I know in some insurance cases you can get coverage for "routine" things and not just accidental or emergency situations. It might sound a funny parallel , but I worked a lot with pet health insurance when I was in the vet field. A lot of pet insurance programs offer "maintenance" coverage: as in, you pay a monthly premium and the insurance company covers routine things like exams, vaccines, food, etc. Plus accident coverage. It costs more than just accident insurance but, since most animals need routine check-ups, it makes sense.

I imagine there would be similar programs offered for people?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Stevil

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 30, 2012, 04:46:15 AM
QuoteMoreover, according to the American Civil Liberties Union, the law would give Arizona employers the green light to fire a woman upon finding out that she took birth control for the purpose of preventing pregnancy.

This also implies that, even if the employer isn't paying for the birth control, they could still have grounds to fire any "disobedient" woman for violating her bosses' "morals". I have no idea how, if the employer isn't paying for it, they could find out whether a woman's taking birth control or not, but it's still pretty fucked up.
Absolutely agreed.
To put it into perspective, if you got caught breaking a traffic law or stealing or what not away from work, your employer doesn't have grounds to fire you but if you pop a contraceptive pill, then watch out!

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on March 29, 2012, 10:23:28 PM
Quote from: Ali on March 29, 2012, 10:18:01 PM
Most forms of birth control are by prescription only, and thus are covered by prescription benefits which are part of the health insurance package.  Since we have such a screwed up expensive medical care system, that's one of the two ways I know of to get affordable bc (the other is Planned Parenthood, which conservatives are also trying to do away with.)

Aha,
So the solution ought to be that the pill and the morning after pill ought to be non prescription, unless of course there are dangers that need to be screened by qualified doctors.

You don't need prescription for condoms right, you can buy those at the supermarket right?
That condom moment!
"Hold on a moment love I'll just get this piece of lubricated rubber out of a foil package with damp fingers without using my teeth!"
"Right I'm ready!"
"What do you mean, the moments past!!!! I've got the fucking thing on now!!!"
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on March 30, 2012, 07:31:10 AM
Most forms of birth control are by prescription only, and thus are covered by prescription benefits which are part of the health insurance package.  Since we have such a screwed up expensive medical care system, that's one of the two ways I know of to get affordable bc (the other is Planned Parenthood, which conservatives are also trying to do away with.)

Aha,
So the solution ought to be that the pill and the morning after pill ought to be non prescription, unless of course there are dangers that need to be screened by qualified doctors.

You don't need prescription for condoms right, you can buy those at the supermarket right?
That condom moment!
"Hold on a moment love I'll just get this piece of lubricated rubber out of a foil package with damp fingers without using my teeth!"
"Right I'm ready!"

:D :D :D

It's a wonder you awesome straight folks ever manage to have FUN, let alone have kids, either on purpose or not.  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: Amicale on March 30, 2012, 07:34:52 AM

Aha,

That condom moment!
"Right I'm ready!"

It's a wonder you awesome straight folks ever manage to have FUN, let alone have kids, either on purpose or not.  ;D
The condom is a con. It's not a contraceptive.  "Let's risk it, I can't be fucking bothered!", or "FFS! Just do it!!" should be written on many a birth certificate!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on March 30, 2012, 07:37:38 AM
Quote from: Amicale on March 30, 2012, 07:34:52 AM

Aha,

That condom moment!
"Right I'm ready!"

The condom is a con. It's not a contraceptive.  "Let's risk it, I can't be fucking bothered!", or "FFS! Just do it!!" should be written on many a birth certificate!

ROFL!  :D

"All mommy wanted was a backrub" shoulda been written on mine.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Tank

In the the UK it's not illegal to have sex in public. However if somebody complains the couple can be 'done' for a public order offence. If something is illegal in the UK the Police are placed under an obligation to stop it happening.

I was watching a parliamentary committee meeting debating whether having sex in public should be made illegal. The Police didn't want it as they would have to patrol numerous car parks that they didn't have to do at the moment. The argument want back and forth until a sage old MP piped up with "I wonder how many of us wouldn't be here today if this law had been in place during our parents lives?" It stopped he debate dead in its tracks and they decided to leave the law alone!!!

Stevil

Aha,

That condom moment!
"Right I'm ready!"
So true, those romance movies don't capture that moment do they.

Tank

Quote from: Stevil on March 30, 2012, 09:22:42 AM

Aha,

That condom moment!
"Right I'm ready!"
So true, those romance movies don't capture that moment do they.
Nope! Gonorrhoea, syphilis, HIV, genital warts, clamidia etc. etc. etc. Never get the mention they deserve!  :D

Sweetdeath

That's why they're movies. XD doing things that are just silly if you tried it yourself.

This thread is suddenly amusing. I just woke up :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Crow

Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 29, 2012, 10:28:47 PM
The only reason some people are making a big deal is because there isnt b.c for men aside from condoms, WHICH REALLY NEEDS TO CHANGE.

There is but they are still in trial, as is ultra sound contraception for men  (If this was available tomorrow I would get it done and paid for on the NHS).
Retired member.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Crow on March 30, 2012, 11:23:32 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on March 29, 2012, 10:28:47 PM
The only reason some people are making a big deal is because there isnt b.c for men aside from condoms, WHICH REALLY NEEDS TO CHANGE.

There is but they are still in trial, as is ultra sound contraception for men  (If this was available tomorrow I would get it done and paid for on the NHS).

Is it really in trial? I heard it was in trial like 3 years ago. It is taking too long :(

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

Apparently men can make themselves temporarily sterile by dipping their testicles in 115 degree water for ten minutes at a time once a day for three weeks.
http://www.newmalecontraception.org/heat.htm
Sounds kind of comical, but if they could come up with a more systematic way of achieving the same results, it could be something worth looking at.   
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 30, 2012, 11:35:57 PM
Apparently men can make themselves temporarily sterile by dipping their testicles in 115 degree water for ten minutes at a time once a day for three weeks.
http://www.newmalecontraception.org/heat.htm
Sounds kind of comical, but if they could come up with a more systematic way of achieving the same results, it could be something worth looking at.   

Haha, there's new info I never knew.

Stevil

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 30, 2012, 11:35:57 PM
WTF, that's hotter than boiling! I wouldn't last 1/10th of a second let alone 10 minutes.