News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Religious organisation takes it too far. Again.

Started by Guardian85, March 28, 2012, 09:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 29, 2012, 03:44:29 AM
It kind of reminds me, on a larger more psycho-scale, of when I was in a youth group and the adult running it described in excruciating detail the process of crucifixion. I'm talking rusty-spikes piercing arms and feet with a hammer, the process of bleeding to death (dehydration, hallucination, etc.), the excruciation of bearing your weight as you hang there for hours and hours - getting stabbed with a spear, thorns tearing up your scalp and eyes, having your legs broken to make sure you're dead. All of it. With the sole intent of horrifying us and (I guess?) making us feel, generally, like shit. We had an entire "class" dedicated to this bullshit.

I was probably 9, I think? I'm pretty sure some people cried. And at the end the adult was all satisfied and like "yes, now you understand what Jesus went through. For YOU."

People who consider these "lessons" valuable to children really shouldn't be given access to them.

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 29, 2012, 03:44:29 AMhaving your legs broken to make sure you're dead.

I know Jesus had puncture wounds to display to the disciples but how about his legs.
Were they repaired or did he stumble about on broken legs?

Sweetdeath

Damn, HAF ate my post! :(

LOL
Maybe jesus invented crutches... ( or was that the Chinese?)

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on March 29, 2012, 05:32:48 AM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 29, 2012, 03:44:29 AMhaving your legs broken to make sure you're dead.

I know Jesus had puncture wounds to display to the disciples but how about his legs.
Were they repaired or did he stumble about on broken legs?

Yeah, that's a good point! I guess we were too horror-stricken to think all that critically about it.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Too Few Lions

what a fucked up story. Maybe they could round up a few non-believers next week and get the children to torture and burn them at the stake to remind them how Christians have also persecuted many people in the past...

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Too Few Lions on March 29, 2012, 12:39:48 PM
what a fucked up story. Maybe they could round up a few non-believers next week and get the children to torture and burn them at the stake to remind them how Christians have also persecuted many people in the past...

How about a good old public cruxifiction?

Crocoduck

Quote from: Too Few Lions on March 29, 2012, 12:39:48 PM

As we all know, the miracle of fishes and loaves is only scientifically explainable through the medium of casseroles
Dobermonster
However some of the jumped up jackasses do need a damn good kicking. Not that they will respond to the kicking but just to show they can be kicked
Some dude in a Tank

Firebird

Quote from: Asmodean on March 28, 2012, 11:39:09 PM
You know what would be quite incredibly funny? If one or two of them kids were packing heat and decided to defend themselves with lethal force.

What would those wannabe-kidnappers do then with their unloaded AK? Use it as a club?

Heh...that's a good point. If the kid decides to shoot the guy and then invokes the Stand Your Ground laws as his/her defense, who's right? Personally, I'd think they're all fucked up, but that's just me.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tank

In Spy Catcher there is a story about interrogation training, both doing it and resisting it. The trainee 'victim' was told to wait in a flat for the trainee interrogation team to arrive and not tell them anything. He sat there for hours and the team didn't turn up. He called his controller. They said that the team had confirmed they had arrived. He said they hadn't. The controller checked with the interrogation team who confirmed they had captured the 'victim' and he was doing a great job of giving the impression of not knowing anything!

The interrogation team had gone to the wrong address!!!

The unsuspecting 'victim' received 'significant' financial compensation  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

cgmccall

The worst part of all this is that somehow these people thought they were genuinely helping these kids. They think they're going to be violently and religiously persecuted...in American. What kind of paranoia is bubbling under the surface of this society that this can happen?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: cgmccall on April 08, 2012, 08:57:05 PM
The worst part of all this is that somehow these people thought they were genuinely helping these kids. They think they're going to be violently and religiously persecuted...in American. What kind of paranoia is bubbling under the surface of this society that this can happen?

Funny to think just how distorted people's perceptions become. If one of the the kids got violent, would they be surprised?

Some would probably end up with post traumatic stress disorder, maybe that girl crying in the video.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Beachdragon

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 09, 2012, 01:35:00 AM
Quote from: cgmccall on April 08, 2012, 08:57:05 PM

Funny to think just how distorted people's perceptions become. If one of the the kids got violent, would they be surprised?

Some would probably end up with post traumatic stress disorder, maybe that girl crying in the video.

The first thing that came to mind for me is the controversy about the shootings at Virginia Tech University.  A lot of conservatives were arguing that students should be allowed to carry guns in the class rooms so they can shoot people who threaten them and or protect the class.

Fast forward to this story, what if one of these students was so armed and shot the "kidnappers"...particularly freaking morons who are pointing real guns at people.  I don't think there would be any fault at all.  It's not like they identified themselves.  It was a bonafide kidnapping when they stole the kids, gagged (masked) them and dragged them off without disclosing who they were.

I remember once when my parents were still alive and running a bakery business, someone came in and had his hand in his pocket and threatened my mother for money.  He showed that he had something perceived as dangerous in his pocket. 

He was caught and went to court and his defense said that it was only a roll of quarters in his pocket and not dangerous.

The judge scolded the defendant and said that it was the perceived threat that made it an armed robbery, gun or not.  Mom had no way of knowing it wasn't a gun so it may as well have been a gun for all she knew. 

Same thing here. 

ibm

In our times of digital cameras, why was this dramatization NOT recorded by the organizers themselves?

If it would have been discussed (the recording of a fake hostage scene), the event would not have taken place due to good old reasoning by the organizers.

Once again we have a case of minor's testimony versus adults (and no recordings).  Just another religious sad story.  :(

markmcdaniel

If charges have not been filed than than they should be.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche