News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Your moral ranking. Discussion Thread

Started by Stevil, February 23, 2012, 06:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: NatsuTerran on February 29, 2012, 08:36:21 AM
Well I see it that way as well, but that to me doesn't make killing go from an immoral act to a moral act, but merely from immoral to neutral. I don't think anyone feels accomplishment from needing to kill someone to save their life, I would hope not. Therefore I find it hard to view as "righteous" behavior. Maybe I'm just nitpicking though.
I look at killing for the sake of killing as a moral issue and killing for any other reason as morally-neutral situational issue.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Stevil

Therefore I find it hard to view as "righteous" behavior. Maybe I'm just nitpicking though.
But what does "righteous" mean? If it means making the right decision then isn't protecting your own life the right thing to do?

ThinkAnarchy

Well I see it that way as well, but that to me doesn't make killing go from an immoral act to a moral act, but merely from immoral to neutral. I don't think anyone feels accomplishment from needing to kill someone to save their life, I would hope not. Therefore I find it hard to view as "righteous" behavior. Maybe I'm just nitpicking though.

I completely disagree and believe violence is morally acceptable and righteous given the correct circumstances. If I walked into an alleyway and saw a child or even adult woman being raped, I would likely beat the culprit do death with my bare hands. I seriously doubt I would have any emotional or moral qualms about doing so. I actually have a family friend who did exactly that, and I view him as a hero, at least in him rescuing that one woman outside a bar.

Killing is not always murder, and should not be viewed so narrowly.

"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Amicale

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on March 01, 2012, 02:01:18 AM

I completely disagree and believe violence is morally acceptable and righteous given the correct circumstances. If I walked into an alleyway and saw a child or even adult woman being raped, I would likely beat the culprit do death with my bare hands. I seriously doubt I would have any emotional or moral qualms about doing so. I actually have a family friend who did exactly that, and I view him as a hero, at least in him rescuing that one woman outside a bar.

Murder is not always murder, and should not be viewed so narrowly.

This. I'd define murder as the premeditated taking of an innocent life -- ie in this instance, someone who is NOT raping/beating/killing someone else. If I saw someone (especially a child, a woman, or anyone elderly) getting beaten or harmed ANYWHERE, I don't know if I'd literally be physically strong enough to murder someone (I don't own a weapon and I don't have a ton of strength) but my focus wouldn't be on murdering them, it would be on making them stop whatever evil thing they were doing -- so I'd try to take them down and out however I could, even if they turned on me instead. If knocking them upside the head or doing some other act of violence to them accidentally killed them, well, I don't consider that murder. I'd consider that defending someone who can't defend themselves. If for some insane reason the authorities saw my actions as being criminal... well, what can I say. Some things in this life are WORTH getting charged/doing time for, and protecting an innocent person's one of 'em.

Good for your friend for defending the woman outside the bar. When people step up and take action to take out a perpatrator and stop an act of horrible violence, I see them as a hero for what they do, too.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Tank

Murder Killing somebody is not always murder, and should not be viewed so narrowly.

Murder must be murder how could it be anything else?  ;) :D

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on March 01, 2012, 01:47:12 PM

Murder Killing somebody is not always murder, and should not be viewed so narrowly.

Murder must be murder how could it be anything else?  ;) :D

:D Tankfairy to the rescue!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

ThinkAnarchy

Thanks Tank. I read that post twice and did not catch that.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

pytheas

being loved rather than loving somebody, that's the real foundation cracker
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

pytheas

I would do, or already have  done all of the aforementioned acts/behaviours

in their independent context-restricted essence they are ever-so neutral, like using the loo

one could argue it is good to relieve yourself of unessecary constraints

on another note, the list can be a monitor of mental health / contemporary balance
for in earnest if we are to be together, as we are presumable designed to be, the common logic rather than morality dictates the order of good impressions and positive bridges of belonging

"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

En_Route

Quote from: Ali on February 23, 2012, 07:23:46 PM
Melmouth, I find it interesting that you find killing someone who has hurt you to be a good thing, but being mean to someone on the internet because you don't like them (perhaps because they hurt you) is a bad thing.  That sort of follows my mental image of the British - do anything except be impolite.   ;D

You obviously haven't met too many of them.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).