News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Responsible Breeding?

Started by Dobermonster, February 21, 2012, 05:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy

It's definitely important to take genetic factors into consideration before having a child, for a whole host of reasons, but most importantly is so the child doesn't have to suffer through this wonderful experience we call life. In my family, things like depression and substance abuse are most common place, with genetic abnormalities largely unknown, at least on my side of the family tree. Cancer causing tobacco has ended both my maternal grandparents rather early. Being from a semi-economically depressed are can explain some of these issues, none of which would've prevented me from having any children. I, myself, have asthma and allergies, and worry that my kids may develop these, but nothing TOO serious in my book. However, after the birth of our second daughter, almost two years ago, my wife was diagnosed with common variable immunodeficiency, which has genetic components, but is too complex to predict the probability of it showing up in our children. Her particular illness requires regular infusions of igG, so as you can see, if one of our children is to get this is, it would be quite a burden for them for the rest of their lives. We've had both our children checked, but nothing significant has shown up so far. Needless to say, we would probably have "rolled the die" and had children anyways because kids are just AMAZING!!! :)
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Amicale

Quote from: Jimmy on March 28, 2012, 02:41:26 PM
It's definitely important to take genetic factors into consideration before having a child, for a whole host of reasons, but most importantly is so the child doesn't have to suffer through this wonderful experience we call life. In my family, things like depression and substance abuse are most common place, with genetic abnormalities largely unknown, at least on my side of the family tree. Cancer causing tobacco has ended both my maternal grandparents rather early. Being from a semi-economically depressed are can explain some of these issues, none of which would've prevented me from having any children. I, myself, have asthma and allergies, and worry that my kids may develop these, but nothing TOO serious in my book. However, after the birth of our second daughter, almost two years ago, my wife was diagnosed with common variable immunodeficiency, which has genetic components, but is too complex to predict the probability of it showing up in our children. Her particular illness requires regular infusions of igG, so as you can see, if one of our children is to get this is, it would be quite a burden for them for the rest of their lives. We've had both our children checked, but nothing significant has shown up so far. Needless to say, we would probably have "rolled the die" and had children anyways because kids are just AMAZING!!! :)

Yes they are! :)

I would have LOVED to have two, and I'm not totally counting out having another, but before I did that a few things would need to be more stable than they are right now. So for now, I'll just be content with the one I have. I adore my daughter and I know I talk about her far too much on this site  :D but I can't even begin to describe how much JOY she brings to my life. She just lights up a room. I never have, and never will, love anyone more than I love her. Even through the sleepless nights when she was a baby, and the teething and the getting into a million things, she's just a joy. I'm so glad you have two awesome daughters, that's so great. I hope that the treatment your wife is taking works well for her, and really hope your daughters don't get it either. As you and others here have suggested... it's really a roll of the dice, we don't want to burden our children with anything horrible, but when nothing obviously horrible pops up that we can see, then we often figure 'well, let's go for it anyway'! :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Jimmy

Quote from: Amicale on March 28, 2012, 05:03:27 PM
Quote from: Jimmy on March 28, 2012, 02:41:26 PM

Yes they are! :)

I would have LOVED to have two, and I'm not totally counting out having another, but before I did that a few things would need to be more stable than they are right now. So for now, I'll just be content with the one I have. I adore my daughter and I know I talk about her far too much on this site  :D but I can't even begin to describe how much JOY she brings to my life. She just lights up a room. I never have, and never will, love anyone more than I love her. Even through the sleepless nights when she was a baby, and the teething and the getting into a million things, she's just a joy. I'm so glad you have two awesome daughters, that's so great. I hope that the treatment your wife is taking works well for her, and really hope your daughters don't get it either. As you and others here have suggested... it's really a roll of the dice, we don't want to burden our children with anything horrible, but when nothing obviously horrible pops up that we can see, then we often figure 'well, let's go for it anyway'! :)
Thanks for the kind words:) It's sounds great what you have with your daughter, you definitely seem like an awesome parent, and I'm sure your daughter adores you. Keep enjoying your time with her because, as you know, they are SO precious!! They grow so fast too!! My oldest will be six and has lost two teeth already! Where has the time gone? ::)
BTW, it's been great talking with you! :)
(I think I've gone off topic....lol)
Anyways, going for it is the only way to go....
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

cncracer

I have thought of it in the terms of developing a more intelligent human. The problem is each of us seem to have a different idea of what an intelligent human should possess. I think after the WW II, and the efforts of the German breeding program, most agree it is better to just let nature take its course. As for selective breeding for myself I know I was attracted to my wife not only for her looks but for her intelligence also. I looked for a partner I could relate too, and who could relate to me. Now that we are older it seems it is more important than the looks part.   

Will

Quote from: Dobermonster on February 21, 2012, 05:12:21 AM
I know I'm risking some flack for that particular term, but I wanted to explore this thought: Have you ever considered not having children due to illness which may have a strong hereditary factor (or indeed, entirely genetic)?
Yes. I was born with a coarctation of my descending aorta, which was a severe pinch of the blood vessel to the point where basically no blood passed through it. Fortunately for me (and unfortunately for my enemies! muhahaha), enough of the blood vessels around the area were able to allow blood through, so I didn't die. When I was young, I had corrective surgery, basically a plastic tube which connected the functioning parts of my aorta, so that the blood could circulate more normally. While I'm fine now, according to my cardiologist and depending on the genetics of the woman I have kids with someday, my kids have about a 5% chance of having a circulatory malformation or deformity. While I'm not planning on having 20 kids, that is a serious risk to consider. Because of this risk, I've often wondered if adoption might be a more viable or reasonable option for me. Don't get me wrong, I do want to father children (both as an innate biological urge and as something that sounds like an amazing thing to do), but that 5% chance of a child I would love dearly possibly being in mortal danger because of a problem with my genetics gives me pause.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Will on July 12, 2012, 03:06:37 AM
I know I'm risking some flack for that particular term, but I wanted to explore this thought: Have you ever considered not having children due to illness which may have a strong hereditary factor (or indeed, entirely genetic)?
Yes. I was born with a coarctation of my descending aorta, which was a severe pinch of the blood vessel to the point where basically no blood passed through it. Fortunately for me (and unfortunately for my enemies! muhahaha), enough of the blood vessels around the area were able to allow blood through, so I didn't die. When I was young, I had corrective surgery, basically a plastic tube which connected the functioning parts of my aorta, so that the blood could circulate more normally. While I'm fine now, according to my cardiologist and depending on the genetics of the woman I have kids with someday, my kids have about a 5% chance of having a circulatory malformation or deformity. While I'm not planning on having 20 kids, that is a serious risk to consider. Because of this risk, I've often wondered if adoption might be a more viable or reasonable option for me. Don't get me wrong, I do want to father children (both as an innate biological urge and as something that sounds like an amazing thing to do), but that 5% chance of a child I would love dearly possibly being in mortal danger because of a problem with my genetics gives me pause.

I really don't envy your position. I think this is definitely a scenario where there is no "right" or "wrong" decision, just a very personal one.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on July 12, 2012, 03:36:54 AM
Quote from: Will on July 12, 2012, 03:06:37 AM

I really don't envy your position. I think this is definitely a scenario where there is no "right" or "wrong" decision, just a very personal one.

I agree.