News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

It Gets Better Project for LGBTQ youth

Started by Amicale, February 11, 2012, 02:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

Feel free to move this wherever. I searched through this section, and didn't find any mention of this, unless I missed it.

The 'It Gets Better Project' was founded by Dan Savage, with the sole intention of helping LGBT kids survive highschool and see that there's life after homophobia, after bullying, after being a teenager. So many kids are pressured to the point of despair, shoved back into closets, and are afraid to be themselves. So many homeless teenagers are LGBT. This is an issue I'm passionate about, and I love the idea of the IGBP. I signed the pledge, submitted a couple videos, and donated IGBP books to public libraries/school libraries, so I'm not just talking to talk, I'm putting my wallet and time where my heart and mouth are too.

http://www.itgetsbetter.org/ is the website. It has resources and TONS of videos for teens/kids/young adults, and they're always looking for more videos, and more help, from anyone who can lend a hand.

Also, http://www.itgetsbetter.org/pages/get-help/ is REALLY important, it shows kids/teens where they can reach out for help and support.

From the site:

"Many LGBT youth can't picture what their lives might be like as openly gay adults. They can't imagine a future for themselves. So let's show them what our lives are like, let's show them what the future may hold in store for them."

The pledge on the site they're asking everyone to sign:

JOIN OUR MOVEMENT - TAKE THE PLEDGE: Everyone deserves to be respected for who they are. I pledge to spread this message to my friends, family and neighbors. I'll speak up against hate and intolerance whenever I see it, at school and at work. I'll provide hope for lesbian, gay, bi, trans and other bullied teens by letting them know that "It Gets Better."

Please take a moment, and check these folks out. Thank you!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

fester30

This is definitely an amazing project.  I knew a guy who killed himself just after high school because he couldn't handle coming out of the closet.  He was a VERY popular guy that was suddenly shunned by all around him after he realized he was gay and shared it with those around him.  He lost all his friends, his family kept trying to "cure" him, and he couldn't escape the loneliness and shame the close-minded society in that town put on him.  Such a shame because he was a very smart, friendly, caring, superstar of a person.  He could have brought so much awesomeness to the world and to peoples' lives.

Willow

Thanks for this.  I gave my story (or a tiny bit of it).  I'm a B and Q, so marginalised within the marginalised but I don't really feel like that, what with being white, western and middle class.
But when I was a kid, calling someone gay was a specific insult, but these days it is a more general derogatory term, which undermines the positive use of the word, particularly for young people.
x
Willow.

Dobermonster

Can't sign the pledge here (referring back to intro thread), so I'll have to head out tomorrow to do it.

Very sad, what some of these kids go through . . . :(

Siz

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Scissorlegs on February 12, 2012, 12:10:15 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what's "Q"?

QuoteOct. 27, 2010: In response to recent queer youth suicides, Ryerson University held an It Gets Better Project/Because We Make it Better event.

Queer, I assume.

Siz

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on February 12, 2012, 01:52:16 PM
Quote from: Scissorlegs on February 12, 2012, 12:10:15 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what's "Q"?

QuoteOct. 27, 2010: In response to recent queer youth suicides, Ryerson University held an It Gets Better Project/Because We Make it Better event.

Queer, I assume.

Is that not covered by L, G, and B?

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Ali

It's a wonderful movement.  I don't have a personal story to share with them, being straight, but I absolutely support any movement that gives the message that it's perfectly fine to be who you are.  :)

Amicale

I'm very glad everyone is getting the chance to see this, and be made aware of it. Awesome.

Please pass the resource on to anyone you know who has a teenager, or who is a teenager. You never know who might need it.... which reminds me, fester30, that story was heartbreaking. I'm so sorry you lost your friend. :(

Scissorlegs, the 'Q' in LGBTQ can mean both 'queer' and 'questioning', and it especially means questioning. It's not necessarily covered by the terms lesbian, gay, or bisexual. It's more a statement of non hetero-normativity, and covers a wide, wide variety of the sexual spectrum. Anything that wouldn't be considered 'typical' for a heterosexual person. Queer is a relatively recent term, at least if we go by when the GLBT community co-opted it. Less than 20, 25 years in use. It's a pretty fluid term. It's not one I have ever used for myself, but I certainly respect those who do want to use it. When we're talking about YOUTH, though, that 'Q' nearly always means 'questioning'. And those are the kids who are most vulnerable.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Guardian85

There are few things I really hate, but bullies come pretty close to the top of that distinguished list.
This is a good project. I wish it had existed in 1996.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

DeterminedJuliet

I've always understood "queer" to be an umbrella term that applies more the community than an actual sexual identity. Anyone who challenges or bends gender norms could be considered "queer".
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on February 12, 2012, 09:53:23 PM
I've always understood "queer" to be an umbrella term that applies more the community than an actual sexual identity. Anyone who challenges or bends gender norms could be considered "queer".
Same here. I was surprised to see the 'Q' appear as Queer.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

Yes, this too. :) It is also an umbrella term for people who bend gender norms, as well as sexual norms. Mea culpa for not mentioning gender as a big part of it. *slaps self*

Tank

Quote from: Amicale on February 12, 2012, 10:09:45 PM

Yes, this too. :) It is also an umbrella term for people who bend gender norms, as well as sexual norms. Mea culpa for not mentioning gender as a big part of it. *slaps self*
Now who's the kinky one  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on February 12, 2012, 10:22:21 PM
Quote from: Amicale on February 12, 2012, 10:09:45 PM

Now who's the kinky one  :D

Never said I wasn't.  ;D