News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

The Tea Party and American History

Started by Sandra Craft, February 02, 2012, 04:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Has anybody else heard about this?  Tea Party wishes to downplay slavery in TN textbook

The Tea Party has plans to point out the good side of slavery, gloss over the destruction of Indian peoples and culture (more than we already do, that is), and ignore the experiences of minorities in favor of the achievements of wealthy landowners in textbooks all over the country.  I don't know what to say, I really don't.  It just boggles my mind that anyone could even contemplate such complete mendacity, much less act on it.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Buddy

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 02, 2012, 04:15:13 AM
Has anybody else heard about this?  Tea Party wishes to downplay slavery in TN textbook

The Tea Party has plans to point out the good side of slavery, gloss over the destruction of Indian peoples and culture (more than we already do, that is), and ignore the experiences of minorities in favor of the achievements of wealthy landowners in textbooks all over the country.  I don't know what to say, I really don't.  It just boggles my mind that anyone could even contemplate such complete mendacity, much less act on it.

What do they expect to do, brainwash the kids into thinking that there are no bad things in the world? History is cruel, censoring it isn't going to make our past mistakes go away.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Guardian85

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

point out the good side of slavery

:o What. The. Eff?!?  Good side of slavery?  I didn't know there was a "good side" of slavery.

Guardian85

Quote from: Ali on February 02, 2012, 08:57:07 PM

:o What. The. Eff?!?  Good side of slavery?  I didn't know there was a "good side" of slavery.

There is if you are of the race of the slaveholders... And what is the most represented race in the Tea Party?

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

Quote from: Guardian85 on February 02, 2012, 09:09:52 PM

There is if you are of the race of the slaveholders... And what is the most represented race in the Tea Party?

I seriously felt a little sick reading that article.  Those people are off the hook insane.  Like, I like to believe that most people are essentially good, but then I see people lobbying for stuff like that and it makes me think that I'm totally wrong.

Davin

Quote from: Ali on February 02, 2012, 09:55:54 PMI seriously felt a little sick reading that article.  Those people are off the hook insane.  Like, I like to believe that most people are essentially good, but then I see people lobbying for stuff like that and it makes me think that I'm totally wrong.
Sometimes, you only see the prickly sides of people. Sometimes, the only fault of a person's actions is bad data going into the decisions. But sometimes, people are just dicks.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Firebird

I've heard of this revisionist crap before. They  argue that slaves were happy because they were taken care of and well-fed. And hey, some of them fought with the Confederates, so they must have been happy, right?? (because I'm sure it was totally their choice to do so)
I don't get how anyone in the south can have pride in the "Confederacy" which decided to leave the US because they wanted their slavery, and then call themselves "real americans". I know some of you live in the south, so no offense intended, but it drives me nuts.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Guardian85

Quote from: Davin on February 02, 2012, 10:03:27 PM
Quote from: Ali on February 02, 2012, 09:55:54 PMI seriously felt a little sick reading that article.  Those people are off the hook insane.  Like, I like to believe that most people are essentially good, but then I see people lobbying for stuff like that and it makes me think that I'm totally wrong.
Sometimes, you only see the prickly sides of people. Sometimes, the only fault of a person's actions is bad data going into the decisions. But sometimes, people are just dicks.
I vote dick.  8)

-Unknown Smartass-

history_geek

Well, ummmm, the workforce was basically free, which meant more money....to the slave owners...wait....

:P

But seriously, nothing new to me. "Victors write the history" and "Truth is always the first casualty of war" are very much the codes large countries and governments tend to live by, and always have... :-\
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Ali

Quote from: history_geek on February 02, 2012, 10:32:00 PM

Well, ummmm, the workforce was basically free, which meant more money....to the slave owners...wait....

:P

But seriously, nothing new to me. "Victors write the history" and "Truth is always the first casualty of war" are very much the codes large countries and governments tend to live by, and always have... :-\

I know that's true, which is why we don't hear much about the horrors and genocide that whites brought to American Indians.  But...the good side of slavery?  It's like, is there no societal ill that these people won't embrace?

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Budhorse4 on February 02, 2012, 01:47:56 PM
What do they expect to do, brainwash the kids into thinking that there are no bad things in the world? History is cruel, censoring it isn't going to make our past mistakes go away.

Not no bad things in the world, just no bad things in America done by white men in power.  Jon Stewart is of the opinion that the Tea Party is behind this because they're tired of being on the wrong side of history and the only way to get on the right side, considering their politics, is to rewrite history.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Guardian85

It is people and ideas like this that has dragged the word patriot through the mud. I am a norwegian patriot, but I can't use the word because the american "super patriots" (I wrote a paper on that phenomena) have taken the word to mean american redneck.

-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

It's people like that who have made "American" a dirty word in the rest of the world.  We're not all ridiculous, I swear!  I mean, yes, most of us are, but many of us are ridiculous in nice ways.

Guardian85

Quote from: Ali on February 03, 2012, 02:27:39 AM
It's people like that who have made "American" a dirty word in the rest of the world.  We're not all ridiculous, I swear!  I mean, yes, most of us are, but many of us are ridiculous in nice ways.
One of my best friends lives in New Mexico. I know you are not all crazy, but the percentage is against you...

-Unknown Smartass-