News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Help with OCD

Started by NatsuTerran, January 18, 2012, 08:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NatsuTerran

Hello. I was just wondering if anyone might have advice for me. I am struggling with my OCD right now pretty badly. I am on a medication transition currently. Right now my heart is aching because I feel forced to constantly reassess my political views. I'm exceedingly liberal, but my OCD tends to force me to seek out opposing viewpoints. I am so confused and hurt right now because of this. Is there anything definitive at all, like evidence that can shed any light on political issues? It seems to be one big grab-bag of evidence that isn't objective because there are just so many variables playing into it all. Feeling pretty down and hoping if someone could give me closure on this topic or advice in some way. Thanks.

Davin

See a behavioral therapist. These kinds of things don't have "one size fits all" solutions.

As far as political views are concerned: let your views be defined by labels, but don't let labels define your views.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

NatsuTerran

Thanks. I'm already seeing a psychiatrist. Therapy hasn't been very helpful in the past. The problem I have is that there's always this nagging feeling of "what if I'm incorrect?" going on. It especially bothers me with politics because I don't even know how to go about ascertaining truth in that area.

Davin

I don't see anything wrong with having a feeling that I might be incorrect. I have it all the time, everytime I say something, everytime I think something and everytime I type something. At most we will have a pretty good idea what reality is, as long as I'm diligent in the pursuit of truth and honest that I might be wrong about what I accept as true, then I think I'm doing enough. Though, I know what my mental problems are, and they're not the same as yours.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

NatsuTerran

I agree that it can be a very good thing to have a sense of humility, but my OCD takes it too far. Any little phrase like "liberals are brainwashed" gets etched into my mind for days on end. I cannot focus on anything fun or work-related because I am stressing out about needing closure.

xSilverPhinx

Out of curiousity mostly, do you see yourself as being an agnostic in general (beyond religious or anti-religious matters) or is that incompatible you feel with your OCD?

As for statements such as "liberals are brainwashed", does the fact that it's a blanket statement give any sense of closure?

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

NatsuTerran

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 18, 2012, 11:15:20 PM
Out of curiousity mostly, do you see yourself as being an agnostic in general (beyond religious or anti-religious matters) or is that incompatible you feel with your OCD?

As for statements such as "liberals are brainwashed", does the fact that it's a blanket statement give any sense of closure?

I don't distinguish between agnostic and atheist like most do, but that's a whole other issue. Basically, I feel like both labels apply to the same kinds of mind, but one is of a more philosophical subset and the other is of a more practical/empirical subset. I think functionally both are the same and so I consider myself atheist with an implied "agnostic-atheist."

And yes, blanket statements piss me off to the max! If someone says any sweeping generalization like "liberals lack common sense" or "liberalism has never worked in history" it tends to create a much more lasting effect on me. I think this is because I cannot isolate the variable that is attacking my beliefs and subsequently defeat it. If it's a general statement then I have to run through "common sense" and what it means, and then re-analyze all political positions to reaffirm to myself that I do in fact have common sense, lol. Or in the second case I have to intentionally seek confirmation bias in order to find evidence for my side. The saddest part is that I *know* of all these things like cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias since I'm a psych major. I actually realize that, at least for the economic side of politics, you can't really look to history in a completely objective manner because there's such a vast amount of variables that impact economies. I think I have sided with liberals on economics out of convenience, because right wing parties tend to have wildly different ideas on human nature as well as assuming the economic world is not complex and filled to the brim with variables that could impact things.

I talked it over with someone so I'm feeling kind of better for now. This problem has only surfaced in the past few months for me in its extreme form. I have had OCD genetically all my life but it has usually been tame.

Edit: I didn't properly read your first question. As for claiming uncertainty, it is a VERY uncomfortable thing to do with OCD. I have managed to take it before on other issues, (off the top of my head on whether there is good evidence for a historical Jesus). But for the most part I feel like I *have* to know for sure every ounce of knowledge that goes into a particular issue so I can be sure of myself. It is extremely uncomfortable for me to leave something hanging.

Ali

(((NatsuTerran)))

I don't have any helpful words of advice, I just wanted to give you a hug and a tiny bit of support because I have seen the toll that OCD can take on a person.  I wish I had a good answer for you, but I don't.  So hugs instead.

NatsuTerran

Awww thanks. I'm feeling good now. A lot of times it just takes me to express myself thoroughly, even in the mirror or something. I'm in the process of a med switch, just trying to find one that fits my system, so my mood has been relatively unstable. I'm looking forward to things evening out though.

The Magic Pudding

People often argue for one extreme or another.
The solution is often in the middle, a golden mean.
We have some vocal communists still, extreme greens can go a bit far.
There are plenty of noisy people of the right who want freedom to take what they can get and give nothing back.
I think there is a human friendly middle ground between these two extremes and I'd call it liberal.

I hope I haven't freaked you out.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ali on January 19, 2012, 01:13:43 AM
(((NatsuTerran)))

I don't have any helpful words of advice, I just wanted to give you a hug and a tiny bit of support because I have seen the toll that OCD can take on a person.  I wish I had a good answer for you, but I don't.  So hugs instead.

I'd like to second this. I hope you find a strategy or med that works and either gives you closure or lets you reach the point where you don't care about it as much. :)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

pytheas

Quote from: NatsuTerran on January 18, 2012, 08:01:38 PMI am on a medication transition currently.  I'm exceedingly liberal, but my OCD tends to force me to seek out opposing viewpoints.  Is there anything definitive at all, like evidence that can shed any light on political issues?

Hi, NatsuTerran,
It would help if you said which medication transition you are undergoing and what you have tried, has worked, stopped working or never worked.

What exactly do you mean when you say "exceedingly liberal"?

Evidence there cannot be, indications though plenty

Definitive is becoming the human basic needs chart, minimum requirements for all sane people for a fullfilling life. Definitive is the behavioural and bodily biology.

In politics be aware of the fact that the root original meaning is associated with war.

I will leave you with a depth-bomb idea in economics.

Just as the lightest to the heaviest human cannot be more than 10-fold larger
likewise the strongest to the weakest human cannot be more than 10-fold larger
the hungriest to the most anorexic human cannot eat more than 20-fold more
a ratio determines the approximation we call happiness

How Do You Morally Justify a human Owing privately more than 100-fold from the poorest common denominator?

Differences and abrupt inequalities in Social Economic status between individuals is The chief Sadistic pleasure involving all the senses according to marquis De Sade

After a limit whose level we can argue upon, individual private property SHOULD be penalised and extracted for communal support. Beyond the escalating taxes.
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

AnefIsEnuf

I also have OCD, and my advice to you is not to feed the beast. You know, that nagging fear only grows when you give in and seek out the things that (temporarily) make you feel like you are protecting yourself from something horrible. Accepting that you may be wrong is the best thing that you can do for yourself.
Easier said than done, I know, but that is my advice. Good luck, hope you're able to find peace of mind.

jumbojak

As a liberal myself, I fond the best response to those infuriating blanket statements( and oh boy, are they infuriating!) is to ask the person for specific examples. I find that those individuals who make such claims have very little to offer when it comes to actual evidence.  On the rare occadion that they do have an actual example in mind, it's often something they heard on Beck or Hannity, which usually implies a conclusion based on, shall we say, less than sound logic...

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

En_Route

Quote from: Davin on January 18, 2012, 08:04:35 PM
See a behavioral therapist. These kinds of things don't have "one size fits all" solutions.

As far as political views are concerned: let your views be defined by labels, but don't let labels define your views.

My son has just emerged from a long dark tunnel having suffered very severe OCD for many years. Cognitive Behavioural therapy as opposed to psychotherapy made a huge difference to him and it does prove highly effective for very many people.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).