Can anyone explain how this wasn't God in my experience I had?

Started by normawesjean, January 11, 2012, 11:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGit

I must admit I had a similar spiritual experience:  I went to a wedding last year in rural Hungary and I knocked back a big slug of Palinka.  Not the legal 40% stuff, but your bathtub brew at maybe 70 or 80%.
Suddenly I knew there was a Devil.  This was no ordinary jolt, but an intimate personal experience with Beelzebub himself, complete with the burning fire in the bowels.
Explain that, you atheists.

Firebird

Quote from: OldGit on January 12, 2012, 02:39:21 PM
I must admit I had a similar spiritual experience:  I went to a wedding last year in rural Hungary and I knocked back a big slug of Palinka.  Not the legal 40% stuff, but your bathtub brew at maybe 70 or 80%.
Suddenly I knew there was a Devil.  This was no ordinary jolt, but an intimate personal experience with Beelzebub himself, complete with the burning fire in the bowels.
Explain that, you atheists.

Right, but once you prayed over the porcelain gods, you felt better, right? See, religious experience!!
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Heisenberg

"No one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low"-John Lennon

Guardian85

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XHcPYorSJw  ;D

1. You are probably clinically depressed even if you won't admit it.

2. Your description of your "atheism" is the worst case of theist strawman definition. Almost like it was something you got of a theist website, just so you could present this story to us. But I digress...

3. You were tripping. Seriously tripping. I've seen people who had that kind of reaction in my line of work. Your blunt was probably laced with LSD. You found god in a bad acid trip.

Applying Occhams razor to this story. Which is more likely? That the allmighty creator of the universe took time out of his day to go down and perform the divine equivalent of a drug intervention in your life, or that you were halucinating?

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

Quote from: Tank on January 13, 2012, 09:42:13 PM
One visit, one post, fucks off  ::)

What do you think the point of that is?  Like, does he really think that he's going to post one tl;dr about meeting god during a bad trip and we're all going to go "Proof!  We are converted!"

Tank

Quote from: Ali on January 13, 2012, 10:19:10 PM

What do you think the point of that is?  Like, does he really think that he's going to post one tl;dr about meeting god during a bad trip and we're all going to go "Proof!  We are converted!"
I have given up trying to fathom the extreme theist mind. It's a very weird place indeed.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Velma

Quote from: Ali on January 13, 2012, 10:19:10 PM

My thought is that he's posted this in so many places that he couldn't keep track - and that he considered his little tale so convincing that there was no need to discuss it.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Guardian85

I have seen weird things while wasted, but I don't believe they were real!
If thngs you experienced while wasted are real, someone needs to call Emma Watson and tell her she's my girlfriend!

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Sweetdeath

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on January 12, 2012, 12:36:42 AM
Holy tl;dr, Batman!

O_o no kidding!!

And I saw constant mentioning of weed, weed, weed. Someone also could be manic depressive.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asherah

This post is just silly. Let us know if you have an encounter with god while NOT on drugs....LOL. Actually, people do have those kind of encounters while not on drugs.....and, that won't convince us. It's more reasonable to conclude that your mind was playing tricks on you than to assume that god revealed himself to you. Especially to a select few, as you mentioned in your post. That is a red flag. I was raised in a cult and one of the things that we marveled at was how we were the select few who got to know the truth. Bullshit. If there was a god, he wouldn't choose a select few.

Many people groups have used drugs to access god(s). And, amazingly, they weren't Jesus! I guess God reveals himself differently to different people....yea, that makes sense.  :P
As a scientist, I am hostile to fundamentalist religion because it actively debauches the scientific enterprise. It teaches us not to change our minds, and not to want to know exciting things that are available to be known. It subverts science and saps the intellect. - Dawkins

Recusant

"Was YHVH a Drug Induced Vision?"

Now to make another contribution to the compilation which is the real substance and purpose of this thread:

QuoteDark Star

Dark star crashes, pouring its light into ashes
Reason tatters; the forces tear loose from the axis
Searchlight casting for faults in the clouds of delusion

Shall we go, you and I while we can
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

Mirror shatters in formless reflections of matter
Glass hand dissolving to ice petal flowers revolving
Lady in velvet recedes in the nights of goodbye

Shall we go, you and I while we can
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

-- Words, Robert Hunter | Music, Jerry Garcia
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.