News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Showing Graphic Pictures of Abortion During the Super Bowl

Started by Ali, January 11, 2012, 11:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebird

Quote from: m.condon on January 18, 2012, 01:42:36 AM
I think the US should have laws like Canada against slanderous talk on the air...Not familiar with the exactlaws but they can't lie on News Braodcast and they cant debase someone or something like this...I think...correct me if I am wrong. I'm from the US and am only repeating what I've been told

There are libel/defamation laws in most other countries, which is what I assume you mean. The US in unique in that sense. As an American too, I don't know that I agree with you, and I'm not sure it would really apply in this case anyway. No one's really being libeled against here; they're just using extreme imagery to convey a political opinion. Disgusting and inappropriate? Yes. An argument can be made that the network should have the right to not run such an ad, since the person here is using a campaign loophole to force them to do so. However, once you start going down the road of calling something libelous or slanderous because it doesn't agree with your point of view, where do you draw the line?
The Westboro Baptist Church protests at funerals (where they hold up the signs saying "God Hates F**gs") were upheld by the Supreme Court as free speech and are a perfect example. It's disgusting and horrible what they say, but they have the right to say it. And as much as I despise them and their message, I have to agree with that.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Ali

Quote from: Firebird on January 18, 2012, 03:41:38 AM
Quote from: m.condon on January 18, 2012, 01:42:36 AM
I think the US should have laws like Canada against slanderous talk on the air...Not familiar with the exactlaws but they can't lie on News Braodcast and they cant debase someone or something like this...I think...correct me if I am wrong. I'm from the US and am only repeating what I've been told

There are libel/defamation laws in most other countries, which is what I assume you mean. The US in unique in that sense. As an American too, I don't know that I agree with you, and I'm not sure it would really apply in this case anyway. No one's really being libeled against here; they're just using extreme imagery to convey a political opinion. Disgusting and inappropriate? Yes. An argument can be made that the network should have the right to not run such an ad, since the person here is using a campaign loophole to force them to do so. However, once you start going down the road of calling something libelous or slanderous because it doesn't agree with your point of view, where do you draw the line?
The Westboro Baptist Church protests at funerals (where they hold up the signs saying "God Hates F**gs") were upheld by the Supreme Court as free speech and are a perfect example. It's disgusting and horrible what they say, but they have the right to say it. And as much as I despise them and their message, I have to agree with that.

Yes, I agree with this.  What's that old quote "I hate what you have to say but I will fight to death for your right to say it."  Something like that?  It sucks that sometimes freedom of speech leads to such ugly results, but I guess that I would rather that the law allow us to express unpopular opinions.

pytheas

Mifegyne is a progesterone analogue (called mifepristone) and causes a very well managed medical abortion after week 3 of conception (when the next day pill does not work) and before the 10th week of term. Normal invasive abortion cannot occur before 12 weeks of term.
This drug is a gynecologist's Blessing

we beautifully aborted the 4th "soul" that chose to join us at week 6, and did not have to go through the body changes as the fetus establishes itself to be fit for surgery-like procedure with anesthesia.
Also instead of the natural psychological depression after the sudden cut-off at an advanced 3 month stage, the feeling was that of relief (after a month ) with a heavy type of flow in a normal period cycle. Actually the sooner the better.

we were not raped and there was no medical reason and we could afford to raise it if we had to. Do you ask for reasons to go for a haircut? A living independent body part is also a tumor, they possibly also have "a right" to exist?
The key word is body PART. whose body? The Woman's. Who the fuck is anyone else to say  anything about it?

Unfortunately mifegyne is restricted and hard to get,  I suspect profit "rights". a surgery gives work to many more people and many more drugs than just 3 pills and away! They should retail around 70 dollars for the standard 3.

the guy with the advert must be a crown moron, his public appeal is the important and frightening bit
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Ali on January 11, 2012, 11:34:02 PM
Do you think it's appropriate or a smart political move to show graphic pictures of aborted fetuses during the Super Bowl?

It probably won't go well with the cheese dip & salsa I'll be eating.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on January 24, 2012, 05:31:30 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 11, 2012, 11:34:02 PM
Do you think it's appropriate or a smart political move to show graphic pictures of aborted fetuses during the Super Bowl?

It probably won't go well with the cheese dip & salsa I'll be eating.
That's only because you're a theist! Pass the roasted fetuse somebody  ;)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Brieze

Abortions are a touchy subject for me. Because of some medical issues, I cannot do the whole birthing thing. I'd die, and maybe take the baby with me. So for these groups to tell me 'if you get raped, oh well. should have thought of your life before' is infuriating.

I don't want kids and never have, so it's cool. I just have to make sure I'm on top of my birth controls.

So this kind of crap makes me want to punch him, and his followers, in the throat. Who the fuck are they?! Kids watch the Superbowl.

Ali

Pytheas, maybe it's because you're in a different country than I am, but I had no trouble getting my hands on either Cytotec which causes abortion (NOT the next day after pill - I was 8 weeks along), or a D&C at 8 weeks.  Of course, I don't know if it makes a difference that my "tumors" were already dead at the time, but I don't see why it should since abortion is legal in the US.

pytheas

Quote from: Ali on January 24, 2012, 08:26:58 PM
Pytheas, maybe it's because you're in a different country than I am, but I had no trouble getting my hands on either Cytotec which causes abortion (NOT the next day after pill - I was 8 weeks along), or a D&C at 8 weeks.
Cytotek, a prostaglandin agonist, is easy to get, 10 euro. Got it but did not chose to use it alone because it is not as efficient as mifegyne. cytotek causes violent uterine contractions and more severe bleeding, direct activity on the muscle. The forming platform for the fetus is hoped to rip but the chemistry that grew the platform /fetus carries on in the background. At 8 weeks the success rate with cytotek alone is 60-80 % compared to 99% with mifegyne.
Mifegyne blocks progesterone, the chemistry the platform /fetus depends on. That demolishes atrophises the platform and after 2 -3 days causes actual abortion with bloody shedding and some endogenous prostaglandin activity. We supplemented  it with Cytotek  to remove all the additional material. I got the last mifegyne box in the country because I could, but had tried prior to get it sent from friends in holland, austria and germany. Only used by gynecologists locally was the answer everywhere. what is a D&C? if you are refering to a doctor-operating invasive technique, its another level as I am refering minimal doctor interference, a first ultrasound to see you are not ectopic(life threatening) and to detect the embryonic sac, and a second ultrasound to confirm the sac has gone.  in the end noone needs to  grate and hoover  your insides
"Not what we have But what we enjoy, constitutes our abundance."
"Freedom is the greatest fruit of self-sufficiency"
"Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little."
by EPICURUS 4th century BCE

Ali

Quote from: pytheas on January 24, 2012, 09:03:10 PM
Quote from: Ali on January 24, 2012, 08:26:58 PM
Pytheas, maybe it's because you're in a different country than I am, but I had no trouble getting my hands on either Cytotec which causes abortion (NOT the next day after pill - I was 8 weeks along), or a D&C at 8 weeks.
Cytotek, a prostaglandin agonist, is easy to get, 10 euro. Got it but did not chose to use it alone because it is not as efficient as mifegyne. cytotek causes violent uterine contractions and more severe bleeding, direct activity on the muscle. The forming platform for the fetus is hoped to rip but the chemistry that grew the platform /fetus carries on in the background. At 8 weeks the success rate with cytotek alone is 60-80 % compared to 99% with mifegyne.
Mifegyne blocks progesterone, the chemistry the platform /fetus depends on. That demolishes atrophises the platform and after 2 -3 days causes actual abortion with bloody shedding and some endogenous prostaglandin activity. We supplemented  it with Cytotek  to remove all the additional material. I got the last mifegyne box in the country because I could, but had tried prior to get it sent from friends in holland, austria and germany. Only used by gynecologists locally was the answer everywhere. what is a D&C? if you are refering to a doctor-operating invasive technique, its another level as I am refering minimal doctor interference, a first ultrasound to see you are not ectopic(life threatening) and to detect the embryonic sac, and a second ultrasound to confirm the sac has gone.  in the end noone needs to  grate and hoover  your insides

Yes, a D&C is the the grate and hoover method that we use when the Cytotec has caused excessive bleeding and pain, but has failed to dislodge everything.