News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Self Selected Rating Scale

Started by Ateo, January 10, 2012, 02:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Ateo on January 11, 2012, 07:59:20 PM
I would like to see christians self rated at 0, since lying would be sin, I would know what their basic philosophy is and where they are probably going. I would think a christian would welcome the opportunity to step up to the bar, and put down "0". That  would surely be a brownie point.

So is the description under my avatar misleading?  I should have a "0" somewhere there so as not to sin?  It seems to me you're too hung up on labeling all of us.  (us?  I mean all of us that participate on HAF...heh...to think meself an 'us' in HAF.)  ;) 

Ali

"I want anyone who is voluntarily reading my posting to know that I'm a strong atheist and not a pussy about it."

"not a pussy about it" It refers to "I'm a strong atheist" and doesn't infer a comparison with a 6 or a christian or anything else.

I would like to see a simple, easy to understand rating system for those of us who want to use it. I would like to see christians self rated at 0, since lying would be sin, I would know what their basic philosophy is and where they are probably going. I would think a christian would welcome the opportunity to step up to the bar, and put down "0". That  would surely be a brownie point.

It doesn't seem to be such a big deal to me, there is no shame in truly rating yourself as a 5 or whatever.
I certainly wouldn't respond to a question from a 5 with an answer like "Hey, the responsibility of proof is theirs, so don't get into a long pointless academic discussion, especially one like ...  how long was a day was when the earth was forming, because..."  We're on this trip together.

With such a rating system, you can still do what you want. It could help us be more understanding to each other, knowing where our fellow members are in their voyage.

I gotcha.  Sorry, I've probably seen/heard too many atheists put each other down or put agnostics down (as Tank mentioned) by saying things like "Agnostics are pussies who don't have the courage of conviction to be a real atheist."  That's where I thought you were going.  But I agree, we are all in this together.  :)

Ateo

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 11, 2012, 08:13:03 PM
I would like to see christians self rated at 0, since lying would be sin, I would know what their basic philosophy is and where they are probably going. I would think a christian would welcome the opportunity to step up to the bar, and put down "0". That  would surely be a brownie point.

So is the description under my avatar misleading?  I should have a "0" somewhere there so as not to sin?  It seems to me you're too hung up on labeling all of us.  (us?  I mean all of us that participate on HAF...heh...to think meself an 'us' in HAF.)  ;) 
The quote under your avatar says ...

"Happy Christian who loves HAF & Happy Atheists"  Makes me think we could be friends.

"you're too hung up on labeling all of us"  Maybe. There are 2.2 billion christians, and there aren't many like you, I assure you. The power players at the top, have different ideas and they're not good for humanity. I will go into detail another time, with glee, suffice it to say, right now they are trying to have creationism taught in school along with evolution. This is just one point, I have many, many more, but they want to take us back into the 1600's. Science and learning will have to fit into their bible or be discarded. That would be discarded with force, remember the inquisition.

I hope to get to know you better.
"Faith is to the human what sand is to the ostrich"

"Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt."

McQ

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 11, 2012, 08:13:03 PM

+1
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

Quote from: Ateo on January 11, 2012, 12:42:12 PM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on January 11, 2012, 01:57:13 AM
I don't really understand the need for another field or for the ranks to be changed.
Users can and do place their world view below their avatar if they want to, if it fits.

Beginning to See the Wedge

That's what it says by my avatar, who/what am I ? A newbie! Perhaps not important, especially if you like to walk on the white line in the middle of the road. However, you only have to rate yourself once, and personally I want anyone who is voluntarily reading my posting to know that I'm a strong atheist and not a pussy about it.

Pudding was talking about the field below your avatar that currently says "Strong Committed Atheists"  The place above your avatar is the generic ranking that doesn't actually say anything about the individual as it is standard for everyone within a certain post count and is meant to be for fun (and anyone who is use to forums knows that it is just a generic post based rank).   

I've been on a forum that did allow users to select a worldview field from a drop down but it created issues because not everyone was happy with the selections; especially those who didn't like labels.  Which is why the generic custom text field is nice.  I guess I could go in and edit the code at some point to suggest that it's a good spot to enter a wordview but if other people are doing that people will get the idea.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Ateo on January 11, 2012, 09:00:12 PM
"Happy Christian who loves HAF & Happy Atheists"  Makes me think we could be friends.
I think we could.

Quote from: Ateo"you're too hung up on labeling all of us"  Maybe. There are 2.2 billion christians, and there aren't many like you, I assure you. The power players at the top, have different ideas and they're not good for humanity. I will go into detail another time, with glee, suffice it to say, right now they are trying to have creationism taught in school along with evolution. This is just one point, I have many, many more, but they want to take us back into the 1600's. Science and learning will have to fit into their bible or be discarded. That would be discarded with force, remember the inquisition.

I hope to get to know you better.

I agree...for the most part.  My acceptance here goes up and down.  It's just part of being a Christian on an Atheist forum.  :)

I'm +2 today.  :)

The Magic Pudding

If I was one of those atheists who visit theist forums, there could be some ranks that I'd be uneasy being associated with.

Would love to wash Jesus' feet.
Would kill for a splinter from the true cross.
Refuses to share a branch with an orangutan.
A true soldier of god.

Ateo

AnimatedDirt: "I'm a +2 today"

That number doesn't matter, we'll be friends.
"Faith is to the human what sand is to the ostrich"

"Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt."

McQ

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on January 11, 2012, 11:37:19 PM

I agree...for the most part.  My acceptance here goes up and down.  It's just part of being a Christian on an Atheist forum.  :)

I'm +2 today.  :)

Hey! You're always #2 +2 with me!  ;)

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette