The present custom rating statement doesn't tell me much. A limited number of verbal ratings are too open to interpretation and misunderstanding. I have read the last posting about custom rating and think it could be improved.
It would be very useful if everyone SELF selected and posted, their belief rating (per Richard Dawkins scale) just above their avatar. It would be voluntary with the understanding that this will help other members understand where you're coming from in a posting.
There have been times when after reading a posting, I don't know if the person is an agnostic or religious so you don't know how to take their meaning. One posting I read made me think the writer was a prankster, reading more of his postings I changed my mind about him. Anyone who is constantly presenting statements that oppose his self stated rating is obviously erring somewhere.
I can think of a lot of advantages, it wouldn't take many postings to know if the rating was true. We are very susceptible to pranksters and people who just want to muddy the water and get everyone agitated, and this may help weed them out.
I'm posting Richard Dawkins scale so you can have another look at it. I like that it is much more specific.
Anyone agree that it could be useful?
1. Strong theist. 100 percent possibility of God. In the words of C.G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'
2. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I
strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there
3. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism.
'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'
4. Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are
5. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism.
'I don't know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be skeptical.'
6. Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God
is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'
7. Strong atheist. 'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung 'knows' there is one.'