News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

marrying someone based on money, or social status.

Started by yepimonfire, December 21, 2011, 01:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

En_Route

I will amend my grandmother's saying to say "The hardest way to get sex is to marry for it."  Seriously, anyone who would marry for the sex has obviously never been married.   ;D

Other than my wife of course.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Tom62

I never really understood what is so special about social status. I don't like wearing ties, I don't like cocktail parties and I don't I like any of that jazzy, crappy muzak that they love in these fancy social status circuits. 
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Asmodean

I'm very difficult to get to wear a tie - even for a work-related presentation. In most cases, I'd quit my job before agreeing to it. A wedding or a funeral that demanded a dress- or otherwise looks-code I dislike, I'd simply not attend.

With you on this one, but probably in a somewhat more extreme way.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tom62

Quote from: Asmodean on February 04, 2012, 04:07:09 PM
I'm very difficult to get to wear a tie - even for a work-related presentation. In most cases, I'd quit my job before agreeing to it. A wedding or a funeral that demanded a dress- or otherwise looks-code I dislike, I'd simply not attend.

With you on this one, but probably in a somewhat more extreme way.
My thoughts exactly !!!!
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Ali

I don't understand ties.  Who decided that tying a piece of cloth around a man's neck made him look respectable?

Asmodean

Quote from: Ali on February 04, 2012, 04:11:14 PM
I don't understand ties.  Who decided that tying a piece of cloth around a man's neck made him look respectable?
Tie-wearing ultraconservative snobs..?

Just guessing...
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on February 04, 2012, 04:15:57 PM
Tie-wearing ultraconservative snobs..?

Just guessing...

It just seems bizarre to the point of comical.  I realize I shouldn't laugh because women are the queens of nonsensical fashion, but the idea of someone going "What this outfit really needs is a random piece of cloth hanging from the neck..." seems soooo silly. 

Sweetdeath

I think pants make any man look good, LOL.

But social statua b.s is the worst. Someone can know a person for a year, get married and be more respected than a loving couple who has been together 6 years, and chose not to be married mutually.

I hate people who think just because someone doesn't want to get married, they are not commited to their spouse. Ugh..whatever.  

Or they have contests "for married couples only" . I find that very discriminating.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ali on February 04, 2012, 04:20:07 PM
the idea of someone going "What this outfit really needs is a random piece of cloth hanging from the neck..." seems soooo silly. 
A scarf is ok in proper climate, but not everybody makes one look good.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

Quote from: Asmodean on February 04, 2012, 04:23:35 PM
Quote from: Ali on February 04, 2012, 04:20:07 PM
the idea of someone going "What this outfit really needs is a random piece of cloth hanging from the neck..." seems soooo silly. 
A scarf is ok in proper climate, but not everybody makes one look good.

I can't do scarves.  Or hats!  I've yet to ever find a hat that didn't look ridiculous on me.

Sweetdeath

My head is small and most adult hats are huge on me. ;;
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Sweetdeath on February 04, 2012, 04:20:30 PM
I think pants make any man look good, LOL.

I tried pants once and while I'm but a pudding, never quite a man, yet still I'm sure this sentence had a purpose when I started it.

Ali

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on February 04, 2012, 05:41:51 PM

I tried pants once and while I'm but a pudding, never quite a man, yet still I'm sure this sentence had a purpose when I started it.

I am ROLLING laughing.   ;D ;D ;D

Mocha Chief

Lol I don't mind ties at all. I actually like to wear them on occasions, such as school dances or anything else like that. And I also love to wear my old cap now and then

Asmodean

I tend to wear t-shirts, amply decorated with skulls, hoodies and a bunch of facial piercings. If someone disapproves, it's ther problem. I've yet to find myself in a situation where I actually need somebody who insists on me looking differently from what I do.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.